Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Congratulations on the weight loss. However, you're right to say that it is just not practical to cut down a garment from a 44 or a 42 to a 38. Because the reduction is so significant, the balance of the clothes will likely be thrown off and they will look strange (after, you'd be potentially trying to take 6 inches/15cm out of the trouser waistband alone).

Furthermore, such dramatic alterations just cost too much to make it worthwhile and it's disappointing that the tailor didn't tell you that it would be best if you cut your losses, sold or gave away the clothes, and started afresh.

2. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Congrats again, you must have shed some serious stone.

On that topic, I am a 42R who could lose some weight. However, I wear a 42 largely because anything smaller than that does not fit me across the shoulders. I dare say if I was to shed 15kg, I would still need a 42R for the shoulder width but just require the waist of my suits taken in. So I'm interested, how did you manage to get from a 44 to a 38 jacket size? Do your shoulders fit a 38?

3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Hi John. Sorry to hear about your bad experiences attempting to have your suits recut. As journeyman says, it's disappointing the tailors took on the job to completely recut a suit when they perhaps should have advised you to start afresh. And for $750 I'd want to be pretty darn sure Cutler would do a better job.

4. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Congratulations on your weight loss. The only downsize is the need for a new wardrobe (this is great, except on the bank balance). Last year I went from a 44/46 (or whatever fitted/I could find) to about a 40/42 (depending on brand) and basically had to start again wardrobe-wise. Got a few things altered but mostly just bought new items wisely (learning from years of sartorial interest and mistakes) and got some MTM (from P Johnson) to make the most of my new physique (and a reminder to stay in the same shape). Good luck with it.

Oh, and thebrownman saw this and though you could use it as a outfit idea for when your tassel loafers arrive....maybe.
    [​IMG]
    http://linenforsummertweedforwinter.tumblr.com/post/35872990268/prince-charles-in-tassel-loafers

5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Thanks guys,

Michael yep I am aware about the 52 mistake, will fix that up today sometime. Just FYI there is only 1 x 38 left in the blue and 2 in the white. I am in the process of swapping makers, due mainly to the fact that the supplier is too un-reliable, poor communication etc etc. But I hope to keep the cut pretty well the same and add some fabrics and a few different collars as well. But realistically there won't be anymore shirts until March next year.

As promised, here are the 3 printed ties that will be coming just before xmas, along with a plain navy & maroon twill, plus a navy pin-dot.
    Click to enlarge
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. elvish

elvish Senior member

this.

nobody cares if you're trying to make a profit.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012

7. elvish

elvish Senior member

8. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

No, but I just google imaged "hogan shoes" and threw up a little in my mouth. So shiny.... so euro....

9. elvish

elvish Senior member

you're right. they all look, well, shit. i went to the outlet and it had very similar shoes to the NB / Superga styles. i guess that was too many seasons ago.

10. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Those are some beautiful ties jason. I'm gonna have to take out a tie loan from the bank :(

11. John Appleseed

John Appleseed Well-Known Member

I just put on an old 44 and I have no idea how my shoulders ever managed to fit into this. It's mind boggling, I could now use this suit as a parachute.

12. charliechan

charliechan Senior member

Thanks all who have replied with suggestions... will definitely check out Max

13. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

It just depends how your fat was distributed. Mine was mostly around my stomach so when I lost around 20kg, I went from a size 40 to a size 38. My shoulder circumference went down by 2 inches but my waist went from 38" to 30".

14. cgo

cgo Senior member

it is quite surprising that Hayel did not warn you about downsizing by that much. I've gone to Hayel for so many years and the very first lesson he taught me was to buy suit with the right shoulder fit....everything else is adjustable. Perhaps you were giving him the impression that you are very keen to keep the jacket and downsize?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.