1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swan

swan Well-Known Member

guys i work for an FX company that is opening its offices soon in Australia, we are well aware of the poor rates and high charges that banks charge and we would be able to help all of you guys with your fashion purchases overseas, as long as you all have corporate accounts......

2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

3. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

4. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Gerry, is the tie HC or Borrelli?

5. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk ...

jaypee, the tie is Henry Carter and the shirt is Borrelli.

6. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Just had a quick squiz at the menswear section at Myer. Surprisingly, Country Road actually have a few reasonable offerings including a pretty nice peacoat for $300. Also they have 50% off a lot of Polo stuff. Worth a look if you are passing by.

7. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Last time I brought this up, I got shot down, this time I have more Armour.

Patrick Johnson must have a pretty substantial margin. He charges $225 for a pair of swimmers - no swimmers cost nearly that much to make. I can buy P Johnson branded Pocket Squares delivered from Shaya in London for substantially less than Patrick himself who is 20 minutes away from me. I bought some SWIMS loafers from a seller in the U.K for about 60% of the price that he was charging.

Are these margins just for his 'accessories' or are they also inclusive of his suits?

He has a beautiful lifestyle in the inner-city for someone that, Jason so eloquently put as, 'measures' people for a living (not a real tailor).

Maybe it is just customary for Australian retailers to demand more profit relative to the rest of the world? Although, I would have thought London would be just as expensive! So I guess you get a great suit, just at a very high premium to what you get elsewhere?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  8. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

9. Romp

Romp Senior member

you always crack me up
    im happy to do the shooting this time - someone pass me the gun...

The reason Australian retail pricing is higher is because 1) GST +10%, 2) inbound freight +5% 3) Customs +10% on clothing - so already you are looking at 27% (they stack) premium.

Also a small retailer wont have the volume or purchasing power or a large retailer in the UK

Either way - you are passing alot of judgement Michael...

10. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

I hope you dont get flamed for that post, because it interests me too

Like anything in Sydney, you can scour online and find it cheaper, but you more often than not pay for an experience.

In the industry of mens made to measure, its going to have an organic skew to a more affluent crowd. Firstly because they have more of suitable lifestyle for the product, and secondly because they can afford it.

Its the same as buying from Harrolds. I could find 99% of the product in that store cheaper, but I like the feeling of going in there and making the purchase, wearing it that night and having their service at my front door in the scenario of something f***ing up.

I would say there is a markup on suiting as well as accessories, but many (including myself) are willing to pay for it.

And you cant really blame the man, its a business after all.

11. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

You seem to present yourself to be a smart lad, so I assume that you have heard of consumer sovereignty; maybe you should exercise it in this case.

12. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I don't know much about his business model but its not like there is a massive scene for savile row style sartorialism in Australia. I imagine his client base is niche/somewhat limited.

13. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

We've hashed and rehashed this issue many, many times on here. I don't disagree with you that some of PJs prices are eye-watering, but if you think he's raking in the cash for doing something simple, why doesn't he have competitors? Why don't you or I or someone else start a similar business and undercut him? Ultimately it's because we realise that what he does really isn't simple/trivial/easily replicated.

1 person likes this.
  14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Why single Patrick out? Henry Bucks at full retail for a lot of items are a joke as well, as are Harrolds and McLeod's shoes to name a few more.

15. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

1) Here in Oz, $1500 - $1600 for a well fitting, well-made, hand-finished suit is very reasonable. Ask anyone who's played in this arena.

2) By the time you have a Drakes tie shipped over from the UK via courier, the cost is about $170. Pat charges about $150 to $155.

3) Don't know or care about the swimwear.

16. fox81

fox81 Senior member

i wanted to buy one of those lobster or sardine can pins they had. i checked the prices from the source (in france) and they were more than at PJs. just saying...

17. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

And if you don't want to pay that coin for a suit get one from Rob or MJ Bale.

What's to complain about?

I think the issue seems to be that P Johnson charges a ridiculous amount for some of the accessories he stocks. His core business, the suits, seem to be at a pretty good sweet spot.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  18. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Lets just be clear here in that I didn't say he "measured people for a living". I did correct you that he himself wasn't a tailor but a fitter, but measuring is one of only a number of processes that go in to being a fitter, and it shouldn't be looked upon as any less honourable than a tailor (met any rich tailors lately?) either. I'm sure you meant no harm by that but I just wanted to clear that up.

I could even correct myself and say he isn't a fitter, he is a businessman and fitting is only a small part of that business along with, advertising/marketing, production, accounts, travel blah blah blah. Putting aside personal preference, anyone that can build a business up like that from scratch has to be commended really.

As for your original question, he charges what people are willing to pay. There's not many rich blokes in the rag trade, trust me. I used to work for Robby Ingham (yes those Inghams) up in Sydney, has a store on oxford street if you haven't seen it. Now he is rich. But it all comes from chickens and race horses, not from his clothing shop.

19. eightace

eightace Senior member

Sydneysiders,

Zambelli warehouse final sale tomorrow.

1 Sydneham Road
    Marrickville

9am - 5pm

Their shirts are excellent value IMHO.

20. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

HK casometimes s be quite cold for short periods in Winter.

At this time of year the temps in Sydney and in HK are very similar - mins in the low 20s and highs in the high 20s/low 30s and high humidity. The very thought of wearing tweed at the moment is enough to make me barf.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.