Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

I was actually hoping to buy some casual shirts, chinos and polo shirts from RL. I should steer clear?

Cheers Lachyzee

2. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Michael S -

"I was actually hoping to buy some casual shirts, chinos and polo shirts from RL. I should steer clear?

Its just my option MS, am sure PRL has heaps of supporters on here. My gut fel is you get better value and quality from Brooks Brothers, the range is better, the fit much better and the styles (remembering the distribution of PRL in AU is apaulling so therefore we dont get to see a tenth of the collection here) more .... how do I say it, exciting compared to PRL. In BNE they have a whole section that is Black and White, I dont get it, boring boring boring. Last Rake Mag talked about all the exciting colours now available to us, its fantastic I think. I have new BB chinos in all sorts of colours.

Its a personal think MS, if you like PRL, go for it. Im a believer in expanding ones self and getting out there amongst it. When I think of PRL in AU, I almost want to stab myself with a biro its so plain.

Anyone else see it?

3. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

So it isn't just a limiting range, you find the fabric, construction and style....lacklustre? If you think the quality of clothing is low then that concerns me.

So is it safe to say that the Australian PRL stores will not have the entire range that is on the www.ralphlauren.com website? I see a lot of colour on the website.

Sydney probably has the same stuff as Brisbane.

BB is all online shopping.....which means you can't try anything on!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012

4. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

White linen (for versatility)
    A cotton gingham (for linen and cotton SCs)
    Navy pindot (for formailty)
    Cat burgundy :slayer:

5. Windowpane1967

Yeah true MS.

BB online is pretty good though. Im a standard size, have been the same for years so tend to have high degree of confidence in BB online.

Re the PRL - how many 'Andrew' pants does one need. I have a cupboard full and I cant give them away. And I have to say, what is with that HUGE horse logo thing they have going on, that is stupid. I asked the young guy working on the weekend if he had any business shirts with out any logo on the front (I know PRL have them, I have a couple and they good quality, the bengal stripe with the cut away is a nice shirt) - needless to say the young wipper serving had no idea and proceeded to look through every shirt they had. I left empty handed. From memory I think my shirts may be PRL Purple label which is excellent quality and style, just dont see it anywhere in AU

6. elvish

elvish Senior member

I have BB Black Fleece, PRL and RLBL. I personally really like the fit of PRL "custom" and "regent" and think it's equal to BB. Sydney has a much better range than Brisbane - it has far more RLBL, RLX and also RLPL (though i never look at those items). The RLBL polo's go on sale down to 75 or 45 if you're lucky; these are better than BB, by example: MOP buttons, and made in Italy.

So Michael - I suggest you go to QVB and DJs stores and try items on. Beware that PRL polo's during sales time are not always the same as normal.. it sound's weird but I did some work for one of the major dept stores and they gave us a heads up that they use separate stock when doing the sales.

7. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

http://www.exquisitetrimmings.com/products/Pocket-Squares/Artillery-Print-Square.html
    http://www.exquisitetrimmings.com/p...ronze-Polka_P_252dDot-Silk-Pocket-Square.html
    http://www.exquisitetrimmings.com/products/Pocket-Squares/Solid-Blue-Pocket-Square.html

Too fashion forward?

Artillery could go with a charcoal suit, bronze with a navy and solid blue with a grey?

8. Windowpane1967

Interesting, what gets me is that the likes of DJs etal dont think we know what goes on during sale time.

Will have to check out PRL in Sydney next time Im there.

9. Windowpane1967

10. elvish

elvish Senior member

I do agree with you about the big pony. It annoys me. I wear the club collars which have the emblem about mid stomach but it's not a horse. It would be great if they stocked the 'Rugby' line too.

11. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

That huge horse logo does look crap. It looks disgusting. I would steer well clear of any of that. The little horse can be a nice touch, I like that. I always thought those people that had the giant horse on their shirts were wearing fakes!

I feel sorry for the little 'whipper'. Your probably the first person that has ever asked him a serious question!

The Purple Label must be good. At $425 a shirt it has to be good.

Alright so the BL Polos are the decent quality polos? 75 or 45 sounds great!

What do you mean they are not normal? They try to flog inferior products? Which would you hit up? QVB, DJs or Myer? There is also one at Birkenhead?

Cheers for the info guys.

12. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

13. Windowpane1967

Yeah I think the rugger look has had its day. Then again am sure there plenty of people here who think it still mainstream. If its the rugger look you like, head to Hackett, they at least do it well and its great quaity

14. Windowpane1967

Yep, good choices. HC does some nice fabrics.

Remember, you can never have enough ties and pocket squares. Just NEVER wear matching ones at the same time.

15. elvish

elvish Senior member

-Agree, although s(he) may have been a casual... Aus isn't alone though, London BB didn't know what Black Fleece was - they kept taking me to black fleece's...
    -I'd love to be able to comment on RLPL and for everything I read, it's fantastic.
    -I think I bought RLBL at 120, 75 and 40 and yeah, great quality.
    -Basically, yes. It is either made in Indo or samples. So, I buy Gant or RLBL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.