1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orchie

Orchie Well-Known Member

Thanks CD, appreciate the advice.

It is a difficult one, because generally we support Account Managers who are meant to be "suit and tie" but often aren't. It's a bit of a faux pas to out dress someone who looks after the business side of the accounts when you're meant to be technical, but often they are dressed quite relaxed.

In terms of my clients, I'm responsible for the channel arm so actually spend the majority of my time in with integrators (think Dimension Data, Data #3, Datacom etc) rather than customers directly. Based on that, I'm in a great position to influence dress standards in IT :) .

Cheers,
    Grant

2. Romp

Romp Senior member

So what non-raw denim do u guys recommend?

3. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

I am with TBM on this one.

Everyone that is having a whinge about denim, take some advice from Chopper:

4. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

It's difficult sometimes, but don't be a complete ass. Churlish behaviour is completely unacceptable and inexcusable.

My non-raw denim isn't exactly fragile. I don't know how other people live, and I'm not a logger or a miner, but ALL of my jeans get used pretty hard, harder than non-jeans.

5. Romp

Romp Senior member

anyone got Naked & Famous "weird guy"? Probably not the right thread but interested in Aussie feedback

6. Naka

Naka Senior member

Try them on at Harrold's, the Skinny Guy fit me better but I am a stick, so YMMV.

7. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Sure do.. worn them for 2 years on medium rotation but blew the crotch out, need to send them down to right hand distribution for repair

8. Romp

Romp Senior member

Cool - ill pop in and use the showroom at lunchtime haha

Got a fit-pic? Ive been told they are comfy through the thigh and taper through the leg

9. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

N & F are innovative, but construction/build quality is very questionable. Crotch rip, hardware blowout, etc. Probably best to wait for Harrold's 50% off sales. I have tried them before, a bit meh to me. Plus Harrold's does not stock the stuff I was interested in eg the Elephant denim, and the red dye.

10. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Lot of boasting entering this thread.

1 person likes this.
  11. eightace

eightace Senior member

I confess to being surprised - Robinson's shoes did not have a St. Patrick's Day sale.

I shall let you know when they have their next one.

12. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Mikhail Zenon should be able to help you out in Sydney

13. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

14. Romp

Romp Senior member

15. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

Just an FYI on Mikhail Zennon, I got quoted $80 for the following:

Repair of a small crotch blow out and reinforcing the tearing areas around the crotch
    Chain stitch hemming

AND you have to pay for postage to get them there and back. Seriously expensive, regardless of 'craftsmanship'.

I ended up dropping my jeans off at UpThereStore instead, and they did it all for free cause they were doing trials of the service at the time plus it took them over the quoted two weeks.

16. fxh

fxh Senior member

High Prices in Australia. Paying through the Nose Compared to UK

March 19, 2013 Kate Hagan

Cocaine is a ''luxury'' product in Australia, with users paying as much as four times for the drug as those in Britain, a global drug survey finds.

The survey, conducted in Australia this year in partnership with Fairfax Media, found that about 20 per cent of the 6600 Australian respondents had used cocaine in the past year, and 45 per cent had taken it in their lifetime.

The respondents were mostly from Sydney and Melbourne, and more than half had tertiary qualifications. About 65 per cent earned above-average incomes, with a quarter earning more than $100,000 a year.

Cocaine was the most popular choice for those trying a drug for the first time, and users paid about $300 a gram.

Survey founder and psychiatrist Adam Winstock said that was four times the price paid in Britain, where cocaine was typically $75 a gram. As a result, Australian users took a smaller amount of cocaine per session than their British peers.

Half of Australian cocaine users were offered ''luxury cocaine'', for between $400 and $450 a gram, with the promise it was of better quality. Almost all of those who tried it agreed.

Those surveyed ranked cocaine as offering the poorest value for money of all commonly used drugs. They scored it 2.5 out of 10 on a scale in which zero represented very poor value and 10 was excellent. This was similar to cocaine's ranking in Britain, Dr Winstock said.

''The consistent thing between the UK and Australia is both rated coke as being the worst value for money drug … and yet the difference in price is four-fold.

''It's a luxury item here [Australia]. People who've got lots of money use coke and if you're on benefits and doing crime you do crystal [methamphetamine].''

Asked about the negative consequences of their drug taking, respondents ranked cocaine second after tobacco for causing them ''money worries or problems''. They ranked cocaine second after ecstasy for making them feel happy and confident, and increasing pleasure from social interactions.

Federal government statistics show that cocaine use has been increasing since 2004 and the drug is most popular among educated, high-earning city dwellers.

Consumption has risen most sharply among young women in their 20s, the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare's 2010 drug survey shows.

Professor Shane Darke, of the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, said cocaine was a highly dangerous drug that damaged heart muscles and clogged arteries.

There was a risk of fatal heart problems, even for first-time users, he said, and the damage increased every time people used the drug.

''It has persistent and cumulative effects and if you think that you're protected because you're not injecting it and just snorting it on weekends, that's fantasy,'' he said.

Nine per cent of cocaine users in the survey said they would like to use the drug less, and 2 per cent said they would like help to cut down or stop taking it.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/payin … z2NwuA5ceB

17. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Noir denim is the house brand of Up There Store in Melb. They have some interesting non-raw options:

http://www.uptherestore.com/blog/noir/2011/10/noir-collection02-summer-jean

I kinda want this one:

http://www.uptherestore.com/product/jean001-stonewashed

I am no denim aficionado, but these guys seem to know their stuff and so I imagine the quality and detailing are pretty good.

*edit not sure if I am just kidding myself, though, and may as well get an $80 pair of Levi 501s!

http://levi.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pLEVI1-2202483t330x400.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  18. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

A question: I'm currently advising a mate on a wedding rig. He is getting a grey suit, I think mid-grey but could be light grey. That being the case, would the standard grey/silver/black&white tie and white pocket square advice apply? Seems like the effect might be a bit monochrome with a white shirt, especially if the tie is not too far off the suit in colour...

Thoughts?

19. Romp

Romp Senior member

im considering giving Japan Blues "tapered" fit a go on Jay's advice. anyone have experience with Japan Blue jeans?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.