• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

catpower

Reaction score
SF brainstrust, do you guys have any recommendations for optometrists with a decent range of quality frames in Sydney (conservative business dress, inner city, inner-West/East areas)? Given the ridiculous cost of my prescription, I'm not willing to risk purchasing frames online. Ta!

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SF brainstrust, do you guys have any recommendations for optometrists with a decent range of quality frames in Sydney (conservative business dress, inner city, inner-West/East areas)? Given the ridiculous cost of my prescription, I'm not willing to risk purchasing frames online. Ta!

George Skoufis Oxford St Paddington would have to be the best in Sydney great range of eye candy and excellent service

TehBunny bite the bullet and go http://www.drizabone.com.au/

Last edited:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lost another Barbour this morning T_T

Gotcha.

Sniper_Shot.gif

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, going to PJs for my first appointment on Saturday. I'm looking at getting a business suit for the warmer weather (i.e. Nov through to end of March) and a shirt to wear with it.. I'll probably take delivery in Jan, so it will need to be able to cope with the height of summer.

I've been taking photos of my current suits and shirts to show htem what I have, and started to make some notes about what details I'm looking for. Is there any other prep you'd suggest to make best use of my and their time?

Also, any particular fabric books you'd recommend?

Manuhiri

Reaction score
If I ever get the cash I'll probably buy something like this
http://www.lotuffleather.com/products/Mens-English-Leather-Briefcase.html
I have that briefcase. I love it's design and the general quality of the leather. However, I have an issue with the colour running on the leather when it is exposed to any moisture. I don't know if there is an issue with their tanning process or what. But it runs even when I was using an umbrella in a very light rain fall. I don't think this is acceptable. I have let Lotuff know and they are sending me their leather elixir which apparently "should greatly help blending the dye stains with the natural patina of the leather."

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gents, going to PJs for my first appointment on Saturday. I'm looking at getting a business suit for the warmer weather (i.e. Nov through to end of March) and a shirt to wear with it.. I'll probably take delivery in Jan, so it will need to be able to cope with the height of summer.
I've been taking photos of my current suits and shirts to show htem what I have, and started to make some notes about what details I'm looking for. Is there any other prep you'd suggest to make best use of my and their time?
Also, any particular fabric books you'd recommend?

CD

I would not worry too much about fabric books, just have a think about what you want (in terms of colour, texture, details, when and where you will use it), maybe makes some notes (I always take a list), and discuss it with Tom and Matt. They will take you through the appropriate options (probably laying a number of swatches on the table) and maybe suggested a few things you had not thought about.

Just take your time and enjoy it. I think my first meeting/fitting went for about 1 and a half. I also got three shirts (in the basic white, pink and blue) with slightly different details (in terms of colours, cuffs, distance of stitching from edge) to get an idea of what I really liked/what worked.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have that briefcase. I love it's design and the general quality of the leather. However, I have an issue with the colour running on the leather when it is exposed to any moisture. I don't know if there is an issue with their tanning process or what. But it runs even when I was using an umbrella in a very light rain fall. I don't think this is acceptable. I have let Lotuff know and they are sending me their leather elixir which apparently "should greatly help blending the dye stains with the natural patina of the leather."
That's a shame man. Here's my bag - it goes everywhere with me and I do nothing to care for it. I've lost count of the number of rain showers it's been through.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
CD - You've done far more preparation then I ever did. One time I did send him some pics beforehand as inspiration, which helped narrow my choices (it is very easy to get overwhelmed with the choices). I would only say just go in with an open mind, and listen to what Tom has to say; he knows his ****.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ that is disappointing re the Lotuff bag, maybe I will go for the Clegg version.

For my first PJ order recently, I gave them some general guidelines when I went in (grey, can be worn all year round, lightweight since I get quite hot, some texture) and still ended up with about 6 fabric books in front of me! Which was great, but took some time to get through. So I would say do have some idea in your head of what you want to narrow it down.

Ended up getting an Ariston mid grey flannel - it has that classic flannel look but is actually very breatheable and lightweight and apparently designed to be worn year round including summer.

I liked some similar Loro Piana fabrics but Tom told me that LP fabrics are often not nearly as durable as the Ariston/Dugdale fabrics which changed my mind. Apparently they go for looks rather than utility sometimes, in his opinion.

Last edited:

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In other news, unfortunately it turns out that I am not heading to Japan this summer after all. Instead I am heading to Aspen/Snowmass (can't complain!), flying to Denver first

Anyone been there or to Denver before? Any tips on good restaurants/retailers while I am there? My only current plans involve visiting an Allen Edmonds store, going to a Nuggets game and buying a throwback Alex English jersey :satisfied:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads