Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Really? That's interesting Romp, have you seen many Cutlers in the wild. I was basing this off some things that I read on SF around 2 years ago, I have not actually seen anything Cutler in the flesh, but I've heard a few good reports from some friends. The only other well known bespoke tailors I can think of are Fink and Sons and Sam Disano.

Also, please edit that suits post or add to it. I was hoping to make it a place to direct anyone new to protect the sanity of others. In my mind, if there's a good detailed section on Australian suits, shoes, pants and jackets on that wiki, this thread will remain a place to discuss more important things, like indulge in 10 page arguments about eBay sniping. Who wouldn't want that?

2. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

One of the guys who helps with Owen and James worked at Cutler without being paid for a year or so to try and learn the craft. Apart from being a bunch of old blokes who had no interest in teaching anything (why he eventually left) Ive had the low down on their suits. Yes all hand made in sydney, yes its "bespoke" but im just not certain the price tag matches the quality. You could get a plane ticket to HK (like WW Chan) or even England/Italy and for the same money get a much better suit.

Apparently they are looking at cheaper line that is outsourced in Asia or something...

Not many bespoke tailors in Oz - Bijan is another one that comes to mind on O'Connell St.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012

3. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Actually, speaking of P Johnson pocket sqaures, have yourself or Rob bought any? How do they compare to the almighty Hightied/HC pocket squares?

4. Deapht

Deapht Well-Known Member

5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I was going to write almost the same thing that JM wrote. And at the end of the day there is one other big factor too, and that's personal preference. Some people like really light ties whereas other want something in a thick silk with some heft as a sign of quality. But at the end of the day it only matters that you like the tie and wear it, because a $200 kiton tie is worth nothing if it never gets worn the same as a $40 tie from the tie rack means a lot if it goes in to high rotation.

6. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I hadn't heard of them. Have just taken a little look at the site. Something about the design of all the 15" laptop bags that looks a little too country 'n western for my liking.

7. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

8. thebrownman

Most things boil down to this. I noticed Michael Sy asking how HC or Hightied pocket squares rate against PJohnson. It's not necessarily so simple.

9. thebrownman

Brand new bags (often shoes, too) look shit. So stiff and lifeless.

P.S. Michael Sy, enjoy your new Loake shoes.

EDIT: Probably shouldn't have put the bit about the shoes after paying out how new shoes look. Silly oversight on my behalf.

10. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Yeah ive got a bunch. I havent tried jasons yet but they are on par with our own reservable ps in terms of feel and size.

I do like a larger ps as i tend to just stuff it in my pocket and it sits snug and eith more heft .. I dont know how to fold origami

I prefer wearing them over my Kiton as the colours are more playful. The other PS that i like are the Vanda vintage kimono silk... They just have lovely drape and life that really pops

11. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

I think all are good. HC, Hightied, P Johnson, Drakes, they all make great pocket squares. It comes down to a matter of preference and how they are worn on the day, by wearer.

It is quite easy to fall into that 'comparative mode'.

Cheers Brownman. When did you get your first pair of brogues?

12. thebrownman

"Real" brogues - my Alden cigar longwings in 2010. But I probably bought brogues when I was 15 or 16.

You'll forget buying these. At least, I hope you do because more important stuff (wedding day, birth of child, etc.) crowds out the memory of purchasing a couple of pairs of shoes :)

13. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Tbm's feet were born brogued

14. thebrownman

Haha, nah, but I was probably born with a moustache.

15. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I caught up with Pink Socks for a coffee today. He looked decidedly elegant in a P Johnson charcoal suit and shirt (with 2-button turnback cuffs a.k.a. cocktail cuffs) together with a HC navy grenadine tie and a white pocket handkerchief.

Here's another Scotsman in pretty much the same ensemble - no doubt inspired by Pink Socks:
    [​IMG]

On the topic of brogues - I had a pair on and he spoke with one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.