• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
Cool didnt know u guys got busy on this - im not certain i agree Cutler should be listed as "best bespoke in oz" ... the fit of their suits are terrible and are an absolute rip off.
Really? That's interesting Romp, have you seen many Cutlers in the wild. I was basing this off some things that I read on SF around 2 years ago, I have not actually seen anything Cutler in the flesh, but I've heard a few good reports from some friends. The only other well known bespoke tailors I can think of are Fink and Sons and Sam Disano.

Also, please edit that suits post or add to it. I was hoping to make it a place to direct anyone new to protect the sanity of others. In my mind, if there's a good detailed section on Australian suits, shoes, pants and jackets on that wiki, this thread will remain a place to discuss more important things, like indulge in 10 page arguments about eBay sniping. Who wouldn't want that?

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Really? That's interesting Romp, have you seen many Cutlers in the wild. I was basing this off some things that I read on SF around 2 years ago, I have not actually seen anything Cutler in the flesh, but I've heard a few good reports from some friends. The only other well known bespoke tailors I can think of are Fink and Sons and Sam Disano.

Also, please edit that suits post or add to it. I was hoping to make it a place to direct anyone new to protect the sanity of others. In my mind, if there's a good detailed section on Australian suits, shoes, pants and jackets on that wiki, this thread will remain a place to discuss more important things, like indulge in 10 page arguments about eBay sniping. Who wouldn't want that?
One of the guys who helps with Owen and James worked at Cutler without being paid for a year or so to try and learn the craft. Apart from being a bunch of old blokes who had no interest in teaching anything (why he eventually left) Ive had the low down on their suits. Yes all hand made in sydney, yes its "bespoke" but im just not certain the price tag matches the quality. You could get a plane ticket to HK (like WW Chan) or even England/Italy and for the same money get a much better suit.

Apparently they are looking at cheaper line that is outsourced in Asia or something...

Not many bespoke tailors in Oz - Bijan is another one that comes to mind on O'Connell St.

Last edited:

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because only at P. Johnson does the humble pocket square really come into its own and become a "pochette".
Actually, speaking of P Johnson pocket sqaures, have yourself or Rob bought any? How do they compare to the almighty Hightied/HC pocket squares?

Last edited:

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah! So that would explain why silk ties can feel quite different. Thanks JM, that was explained quite well. So if two silk ties feel different, it could be the variation in the thickness of the lining, the weave of the silk or how the tie was woven.

I was going to write almost the same thing that JM wrote. And at the end of the day there is one other big factor too, and that's personal preference. Some people like really light ties whereas other want something in a thick silk with some heft as a sign of quality. But at the end of the day it only matters that you like the tie and wear it, because a $200 kiton tie is worth nothing if it never gets worn the same as a $40 tie from the tie rack means a lot if it goes in to high rotation.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[A]t the end of the day there is one other big factor too, and that's personal preference.

Most things boil down to this. I noticed Michael Sy asking how HC or Hightied pocket squares rate against PJohnson. It's not necessarily so simple.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't used them, but definitely make sure you check out http://www.saddlebackleather.com/ - they are an affiliate.

Brand new bags (often shoes, too) look ****. So stiff and lifeless.

P.S. Michael Sy, enjoy your new Loake shoes.

EDIT: Probably shouldn't have put the bit about the shoes after paying out how new shoes look. Silly oversight on my behalf.

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Actually, speaking of P Johnson pocket sqaures, have yourself or Rob bought any? How do they compare to the almighty Hightied/HC pocket squares?

Yeah ive got a bunch. I havent tried jasons yet but they are on par with our own reservable ps in terms of feel and size.

I do like a larger ps as i tend to just stuff it in my pocket and it sits snug and eith more heft .. I dont know how to fold origami

I prefer wearing them over my Kiton as the colours are more playful. The other PS that i like are the Vanda vintage kimono silk... They just have lovely drape and life that really pops

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most things boil down to this. I noticed Michael Sy asking how HC or Hightied pocket squares rate against PJohnson. It's not necessarily so simple.
I think all are good. HC, Hightied, P Johnson, Drakes, they all make great pocket squares. It comes down to a matter of preference and how they are worn on the day, by wearer.

It is quite easy to fall into that 'comparative mode'.

Cheers Brownman. When did you get your first pair of brogues?

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Real" brogues - my Alden cigar longwings in 2010. But I probably bought brogues when I was 15 or 16.

You'll forget buying these. At least, I hope you do because more important stuff (wedding day, birth of child, etc.) crowds out the memory of purchasing a couple of pairs of shoes :)

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

"Real" brogues - my Alden cigar longwings in 2010. But I probably bought brogues when I was 15 or 16.
You'll forget buying these. At least, I hope you do because more important stuff (wedding day, birth of child, etc.) crowds out the memory of purchasing a couple of pairs of shoes :)

Tbm's feet were born brogued

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I caught up with Pink Socks for a coffee today. He looked decidedly elegant in a P Johnson charcoal suit and shirt (with 2-button turnback cuffs a.k.a. cocktail cuffs) together with a HC navy grenadine tie and a white pocket handkerchief.

Here's another Scotsman in pretty much the same ensemble - no doubt inspired by Pink Socks:

On the topic of brogues - I had a pair on and he spoke with one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads