• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They trade on the basis of name.

Manufacturers misuse Made in Italy in much the same way that consumers belittle Made in China/other Asian nation.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people are prepared to pay a tonne for a genuine item from a famous brand name.

This attitude is extremely prevalent in Asian countries and cultures for some reason that I don't understand (funnily enough, knock offs are also very popular).

The clientele of all the fancy stores in Crown is, for example, almost exclusively Asian: some tourists, some Melbournians.

I have a friend who works at one of them... I think Prada? Anyway she tells me that 95% of the sales are to Asians. The staff (who get commission) have to be quite disciplined so that they continue to treat non-Asian customers the same as Asian customers, even though they know they aren't going to buy anything. She says that Asian customers almost never ask the price of an item before buying, and that the old adage of "if you have to ask how much it costs then you can't afford it" holds true every time...

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm likely going to be spending a bit of time recovering post op and want some things to watch on the TV.

Blake's 7
Dr Who: the Pertwee Years
The Fugitive (TV series)
Perry Mason (early years)
Poirot (Suchet > Ustinov).

George Gently S1 was excellent, though I never really got into S2.

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
They trade on the basis of name.
Manufacturers misuse Made in Italy in much the same way that consumers belittle Made in China/other Asian nation.
Either way, many products are made by Chinese whether it be in Italy or China. For brief info see: http://articles.latimes.com/2008/feb/20/world/fg-madeinitaly20

About 20 years ago, the Italian textile and clothing industry was petrified that cheaper produced clothing and accessories in China would kill them off. Very strangely, what eventuated is that the industry actually grew, because a burgeoning middle class in places like China started purchasing Italian goods. Any luxury brand which doesn't see China as its most important market is lagging well behind.

For a double dose of irony, when the Chinese pay enormous prices for the "Made in Italy" tag, many of those goods are produced by Chinese immigrants in Italy!

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's not, though.
The famous JP Morgan quote means what it means: you can't afford it i.e. you won't be buying it.

I understand that many people go in to Prada, have a poke around, ask for the price and then go and say to their friends 'I saw this bag in Prada...guess how much it was...'. I was just making a (perhaps muddled) point that people can go in and ask a price, be able to afford, it and choose not to buy it. Have done it myself.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people are prepared to pay a tonne for a genuine item from a famous brand name.
This attitude is extremely prevalent in Asian countries and cultures for some reason that I don't understand (funnily enough, knock offs are also very popular).
The clientele of all the fancy stores in Crown is, for example, almost exclusively Asian: some tourists, some Melbournians.
I have a friend who works at one of them... I think Prada? Anyway she tells me that 95% of the sales are to Asians. The staff (who get commission) have to be quite disciplined so that they continue to treat non-Asian customers the same as Asian customers, even though they know they aren't going to buy anything. She says that Asian customers almost never ask the price of an item before buying, and that the old adage of "if you have to ask how much it costs then you can't afford it" holds true every time...
I think everyone here understands why, just that we are too politically correct in this age of "misogyny".

It is a phenomenon that occurs when money is begotten too easily without effort or merit. And not necessarily restricted to Asians, we can include some Russians too.

Hence the reason why there is a roaring trade within China for empty bottles of Lafite. Hell, you can flog a Bin 389 in a Grange bottle, and the chances of someone knowing is less than 1%, and even if that person knows, he/she will keep quiet if some other big shot is paying for the meal.

Go figure that the annual production of Lafite is 30k per annum, and consumption in China is running at 300k bottle per year. Same story with high quality maotai.

And go figure why Starbucks cups are reused in China.

p/s I always thought the word misogyny sounds like a Japanese broth concocted by a mythical creature residing in a lamp.

Last edited:

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I understand that many people go in to Prada, have a poke around, ask for the price and then go and say to their friends 'I saw this bag in Prada...guess how much it was...'. I was just making a (perhaps muddled) point that people can go in and ask a price, be able to afford, it and choose not to buy it. Have done it myself.

Yes I understand.

What I was trying to say was, according to my friend in Prada Melbourne, Western customers don't buy 95% of the time that they come into the store, and if they ask the price then this figure goes up to 100%.

I won't speculate as to their motivations!

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes I understand.
What I was trying to say was, according to my friend in Prada Melbourne, Western customers don't buy 95% of the time that they come into the store, and if they ask the price then this figure goes up to 100%.
I won't speculate as to their motivations!

lol. It's intriguing isn't it?

The whole Asian obsession with 'luxury' brands amazes me. It certainly has breathed new life into that retail sector.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nouveau riche.

Same thing with the Russians here in Europe, after the economy exploded...it's like that one joke:

"Look at my new tie," says a New Russian to his colleague. "I bought it for 500 dollars in the store over there." "You got yourself conned," says the other. "You could have paid twice as much for the same one just across the street!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads