1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Keep looking, I reckon. Lots of places in Japan, eg Trading Posts (Osaka and Tokyo) stocks Carminas. Isetan Mens in Tokyo has a whole floor of nearly all English brands including JL. I am pretty sure you will also find good stuff in Mitsukoshi in Ginza (Tokyo equivalent of David Jones, only 100 times better). Hankyu Umeda in Osaka also stocks some decent shoes. Prices are all nose-bleed levels (not sure about prices during sales), so to be polite, buy one in the last that fits you, then order the same lasts online. If you are not being polite, just go in for fitting, and pretend that nothings fits.

2. Romp

Romp Senior member

ah ok - mine are ready to wear and i think were 300 or 350 euro .. my wife bought two pairs of shoes too

so ive got a pair of snuff suede semi brogues and they put vibram on the soles coz i prefer rubber with my suede.

the suede is very soft and has aged nicely. Brogueing is very clean and the shoe is comfy as.

Sizing is weird at mannina .. im normally a 9UK in most shoes and I took their 7.5 size (not sure what metric it is) but thankfully the son was there and straight away he gave me the 7.5's to try on (even tho i thought no way a 7.5 would fit)

I wish i could get more shoes there the comfort, style and construction at 300-350 euro is awesome. Carmina are sometimes a bit too spivvy for me and alot of Aldens too "american"

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Shooman was banned because instead of sticking to shoes, he started going a bit wild in a few different threads and ended up making some quite offensive, anti-Semitic remarks. He'd also gone a bit overboard in some "health" threads and had posted about spiritual water, raw foods, enemas and mid-stream urine drinking. I think that it was the anti-Semitism that did him in, though.

As long as Shooman talks about shoes, he's fine, albeit a bit eccentrically overenthusiastic at times. However, it's best to steer clear of talking about politics or diets with him.

Most of the other FNB members who have been banned from SF and/or AAAC were banned because they started e-stalking or making personal attacks on members here. For example, FNB and a couple of others started to follow SF member Manton around pretty much everywhere he posted on SF and attacked his clothing, his style, and pretty much everything else about him. FNB also started to frequently bump his own threads with pointless edits so that they were always at the top of the forum. He was warned about doing it, didn't stop and so was banned.

It's been quite a few years since I've bought a Zegna suit, but they have a few different blocks and a few different lines of differing standards/quality.

I had one suit jacket that was quite boxy, with quite padded shoulders and trousers that were cut quite generously, but I had another one that had quite a slim cut, with less padded shoulders and two buttons, and slim trousers that were a "drop 7" or "drop 8" rather than the usual "drop 6" (ie a difference of six inches (or seven, or eight) between the jacket chest measurement and the waist measurement, such as a 44" chest and 38" waist).

The Zegna suits that I've had were well made and, whilst I think my models were mainly machine-made, they had floating canvas chestpieces, nice fabric, and pick-stitching on lapels and other seams.

I'm not sure where you can get Zegna on the coast, but if you come to Brisbane you can have a look in Xile as they have a reasonable selection (albeit at high prices, although they do occasionally have decent sales). It's still a good chance to have a look at their different models - they had a nice odd jacket on offer a while back that was called something like a traveller jacket - it looked like a blazer but was partially lined, with a couple of inner, zipped pockets for putting travel documents and it could be folded up into a small bundle and yet not look crumpled (or very crumpled) when you unfolded it.

4. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Terrific JM, l might have to pop into Xile, and have look at their range and get a feel for the product. Were your suits DB or single breasted?

Looks like the Cronulla Sharks may have taken some of the advice of Shoo Man [​IMG] Anti Semiticism will get you no where fast, did wonders for Mel's career....

5. Romp

Romp Senior member

interesting history! and people take advise from such characters and it becomes gospel on places such as this :)

6. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Very true, I still chuckle to myself every-time I hear a DTO reference...

Hey Romp, as I am sure you'll be keeping us all abreast of more information with your new venture in due time, that said I would be interested in knowing what the point of difference will be between the new venture and PJ? Its great to hear that Matt will be involved, but I am on the cusp of ordering a new suit from Tom and Matt (my fourth) and am wondering if I should hold out?

7. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

I have 2 pairs from Edwin - from his RTW collection. They're great shoes, more bang for buck than any other $300-ish pair of shoes.

8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

PSA. In Mychemist today, L'Essence de Cerutti (made by Antoine Lie of Etat Libre, CdG and Armani Code fame) for $10 a 50 ml bottle. Also found 100ml Guerlain Coriolan (vintage?) for $30.

9. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

The Guerlain sounds like a bargain, and it has been discontinued from what I could uncover from google.

Nevertheless, the composition is citrus to oakmoss, and I think this style has probably been done to death, a thousand times over. If I remember correctly, one of your staples is Eau Sauvage. That was also citrus to oakmoss/vetiver.

Have a look at CDG Odeur 71. Now THAT is fascinating, unless it turns to poo on skin.[​IMG]

10. Romp

Romp Senior member

yeah sure - ill probably regret putting details up here but here we go...

Suit Shop suits will be made in a totally different workshop - lets get this straight up front - this is not a pjohnson suit for less

What we've done is setup a new workshop in China using the same equipment and techniques as applied in the Netherlands. The workshop is run and quality controlled by our Dutch guys to ensure a similar high level of quality while getting the cost of production lower. Our major point of difference vs other China made MTM suits is that we have that expertise and supervision in place on the production side AND have well-trained tailors here to ensure great fit. I think that combination is vital.

The block (pattern) used is very similar to PJT and is highly alterable for everyone's unique body shape.

We will offer 3 levels of construction (fused, half canvassed and full canvassed) depending on budget. Pricing starts at $750 and its +$100 for half canvassing and we are just ironing out details for full canvass but it will be c.+$300 at this stage. In my mind I think the half canvassed offers best value but there are going to be guys who cant differentiate and just want the entry level price and guys who like having full canvas.

There are other differences such we dont have wide lapels, hand made or unstructured options and the inside pocket design is a little different. But 90% of the options exist and we want to focus on being great value and highly efficient for a high quality product.

To sum up what we are trying to off is:
    - A travelling tailor with try-on suits to ensure an impeccable fit
    - Premium range of fabrics
    - High degree of customisation
    - Affordable MTM price point for a comparably high quality product
    - Working on a simple, efficient online ordering system for repeat customers.

Hope that helps? ive tried to be as neutral with it as possible and not sell you guys on one offer or the other - both are great and ultimately comes down to your budget - people new to MTM are probably best off starting with suit shop and working their way up while guys who are into tailoring are like handmade and the higher level of craftsmanship are probably best served at P.Johnson.

Hopefully we will have some photos up soon and after the first round of suits from our April fittings are back we will take a photo of every commission so there is a better idea of how these look.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
    4 people like this.
  11. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Thanks for putting that info up, Rob. I hope that prevents the initial slew of questions that would have inevitable followed the launch.

This looks like an interesting product at the right price point and I wish you much success.

12. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

Even top drawer wont fit very many (read pretty much anyone) people who can't be fitted by Alden (ortho lasts) + AE (widths...). Realistically TD is only useful for design based ideas that you don't want to pay full bespoke prices for (still ~1600+) hence my confusion on why it was mentioned in this context. Fwiw you're much better off going through a re-seller (ex leather soul) for better turn around speeds for TD.

Romp, are you planing to offer a more versatile range of English fabrics than PJT?

13. tailoredstuff

tailoredstuff Well-Known Member

Hi guys, just came back from the states and was able to visit a number of Styleforum approved brands and wanted to give my thoughts.

Some highlights were:
    1) Brooks Brother's (next to Alden - I only checked the shoe section but the lady who served me had so much knowledge in regards the fitting of shoes, I was almost convinced to buy my Alden's here, however they did not have my size). This shop is a must visit if your in NYC.
    2) Epaulet (the rivet chinos are very nice as well as the sweaters), once you get your sizing reorder online - will 100% be doing.
    3) Chipp2 - the grenadine ties are really great value and tie a nice knot - got 3 of these chocolate, navy and Forest green.
    4) Alden (great range - got a pair of shell long wing blucher's)
    5) Blue in Green Soho - They know they denim!
    6) Ippudo (not a StyleForum brand) but the best Ramen I have ever had.

Also, anyone know a good barber in Melbourne CBD. I remember reading this thread a while back seeing a few recommendations but wasn't able to find them.

14. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

Would be perfect, if only they did skinnier widths. They look lovely though.

15. sliq

sliq Senior member

bought a tie from ovadia and sons; wasn't my cup of tea after i tried it on.

it's a 3" houndstooth flannel hand made in the USA wool tie. it has a good weight to it.

looking for $95 + shipping. let me know in the next couple of days, otherwise back to the US it goes!

[​IMG]

16. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

[/quote]

Rockett Barber is the one l think.....

17. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

Hey Romp, the underlined part confuses me, as it seems to be a contradiction.

I was under the assumption, judging from the pictures posted here and the PJ interview (was that you behind the camera, btw?) that the PJT block is a fairly fitted unstructured one? If you don't offer unstructured options, is the default very minimal shoulder padding? The PJT approach seems to be more italian than british, in terms of style?

Regardless it's a very cool business model and I'm hoping it works out wonderfully for you. Will be watching this with great interest!

Definitely the one. Those guys are great. $30 and a beer while you get your haircut. Score. Not cheap shit beer either.

18. joiji

joiji Senior member

Just posted a classified add for some shoes I'm trying to get rid of. http://www.styleforum.net/t/339751/aus-shoes-alden-loake/0_100

Alden #8 Chukkas in 11D US
    Alden snuff suede PTBs in 10.5D US
    Loake brown cap toe oxfords in 10.G UK

Also have a pair of Meermin snuff suede chukkas NIB in 10.5 UK to sell if anyones interested.

Should have some more to add next week.

19. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Thanks, yeah they came in just in time for this heat wave we are having! One less thing to worry about before the trunk show anyway.

I'm sure in a week or 2 though autumn will start settling in, my yard already full of leaves of all the trees.

20. Romp

Romp Senior member

No problems thanks GN

What are you considering? The beauty of our model is that we can do pretty much anything but at the same time we dont want to overwhelm the Suit Shop customer with too much choice. For that reason we are starting off with a "distilled" selection which basically means practical/popular cloths that are well suited to our climate. Heavy tweeds and flannels for example just wouldnt make alot of sense here.

Thanks & good question. At Pjohnson you can get a totally "unconstructed" option which has no lining, almost no structure/canvas or padding. Its the ultimate soft jacket for our climate and for travelling. It requires alot more skill to make and alot more handwork.

At Suit Shop you can have notch , peak, shawl lapels from the get go (we will add Wide lapels later, its possible) and shoulder options you can get a normal shoulder, soft minimal padding or a roped option. We can also do full or half lining. Importantly there is still alot of hand work in our suits, especially the attachment of the sleeve to the jacket arm hole

PS - Jason im down for a new scarf ... Lost my one in the move from last year!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.