1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

Well I realized after making that post I'm actually wearing that exact combination (blue pants, grey jacket). Obviously I must like it more than I think ... I also forgot the obvious reason amongst those who wear a lot of denim too.

I realise from the responses that my actual question is what does one do for wool blue odd trousers, given the casual lean of the likely combinations alongside the problem of being distinctive (given its problems with blue jackets buying enough pairs to counteract this seems questionable.)

2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Yeah I don't think stripes tend to look that good in a casual outfit. Idiot bully types tend to go for it which is another reason to avoid... Really a striped shirt demands a tie 9 times/10 in my view, with the exception of interesting, thick stripes in the Duchamp style:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

But anything with a contrast collar needs a tie IMO, even if it is a loud, casual stripe (I say stripe only because I've never seen a checked shirt with a contrast collar... and I'm sure I don't want to).

[​IMG]

3. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

I have a similar jacket in linen from Boglioli. I really like the way you have put this together and think the navy tie ties (as the name suggests) it together.

Here are a few other thoughts on the grey odd jacket (odd jacket for odd people) -

http://putthison.com/post/28488651244/second-time-a-brown-whether-worn-casually-with

http://jhilla.tumblr.com/post/40679697324/matt-singer-by-tsqrd-for-gq-i-specifically-liked

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2012/11/casual-gray.html

4. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

About this Friday: Ben (g-banger) and I are in.

We're meeting outside Tio's at 6.30pm.

Any updates from the rest?

5. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Gents, any thoughts on this collar?:

[​IMG]

This would be for a casual shirt, worn open-necked most of the time. The issue I have with a normal BD collar is that I have a massive head, so I need a big collar for balance, and I don't think a normal BD provides that.

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Personally, I think that the collar leaves are too spread for a BD collar and that makes it (to my eyes) look a little odd.

If you think that you need a larger collar, have a look at some pictures of Italian BD shirts by companies like Borrelli to get an idea of their style - they tend to have large, long, soft collar leaves but they are not very wide spread.

7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Nah not a fan, I've seen Herringbone do a collar like this a few times, kinda looks like a hybrid to me. Bit too spread for a BD, like JM says.

8. Prince of Paisley

I agree with the others generally you want a pointed collar on a BD shirt, but thinking outside the usual "classic menswear" box it might have some appeal in a really casual fabric like a thick multi-coloured check, and a really slim cut to be worn with jeans in a fashion-forwardy kind of way, but it doesn't work at all with a plain white shirt.

9. Romp

Romp Senior member

my music interest is pretty diverse. My playlist ranges from Miles Davis, Sidney Bechet, Biggie, 'Pac, Eminem, Winehouse, Ledzep. - not really into dance/trance/techno doosh tho

Child of the 80s and 90s .

I like biggie because his flow is really on point. Eminem is the same in a different style. Pac i like because he has a better story to tell.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  10. Romp

Romp Senior member

agree - that BD looks odd - the only way ive seen this work well is a bigger cutaway(longer points and stand) and a hidden button down to provide the roll. I think Finamore have a collar like this.

11. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

A solution to balance the look would be a nice generous collar roll, and this one doesn't have that, IMHO.

12. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I like hip hop, but it tends to be older stuff, The Roots, Talib Kwali etc etc (their older albums). I generally abhor aussie hip hop mainly because there is bugger all that has any decent production quality, sampling etc. My wife always gives me shit about how I rant on about how the Hilltop Hoods have become so popular with such bad production, lyrics and rapping. My brother terms this genre Yob-hop. Though, I have a soft spot for an older Aussie hip-hop/electronic band called the Resin Dogs. Not even sure if they are still together.

I'm a child of the 90's too, and being half English by blood my tastes reflect that. I'm a huge Oasis & Verve/Richard Ashcroft fan, but I like a lot of the other brit pop of that era i.e Suede/Travis etc. Also a big fan of the older Manchester stalwarts like New Order, Joy Division etc. Anything I can sing along to in the car is good.

Favourite album at present, which I listen to over and over while running is Girl Talk, Feed the Animals.

13. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Tobias, try a hidden buttondown IMO.

14. Prince of Paisley

I can't make it this week due to a prior engagement, but maybe next time.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

15. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Same. Big fan on Roots, Talib, Nas, Tribe, J5 etc.. Love the old Afrika Bambaataa, George & Parliament funkadelic etc

I like Kendrick, Ocean but not a fan of this new era of Earl Sweatshirt, Tyler and the Od future crap.. Just not feeling it

16. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Did you forget to shave that morning TBM?

17. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

All this talk of rap....you must all live dark lives. What about a bit of the old Ludwig Van? 9th, second movement is my preference.

When in the company of a newly acquainted devotchka, I prefer the classics, like Singing in the Rain.

18. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Good to see that todays youth does have some taste.:)

19. Romp

Romp Senior member

I prefer 50 inch screens and money green leather sofas...

1 person likes this.
  20. fxh

fxh Senior member

tobias - wot all the others said - its a hybrid that gets the worst of both worlds.

Spread/white = formal/bus - BD = ivy bus/smart cas to casual. Might just work with a big bold check as mentioned but why bother. It looks like a Luxire? - if so they can do a nice OCBD with any height collar you want. White isn't the first - or second or third choice or.... for an open necked casual shirt in my book. If its white casual it needs to be a thick cloth or interesting texture and button down or long floppy not spread points or linen (not see through white linen)

Are you sure you have a "big head" or do you just think that?
    Get an objective opinion somewhere - probably not here!
    Short hair makes a big head look worse contrary to what many think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.