1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romp

Romp Senior member

Sweet flower top deck ;)

I'll vote you in morning when I have a pc rather than this phone

2. jmills

jmills Senior member

Also, they don't keep a lot of stock on hand (if at all). I don't mind waiting for things when I have to, but for less eccentric commissions, why not just call for a pair of C&J HG?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  3. joiji

joiji Senior member

4. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

You can vote on both. All Australian Members have a vote or two from me so far as they look much better than those leading the votes. Though I have a strange feeling looking at the top votes just now that a photograph of a well dressed man in a kilt (say in full black tie regalia) could do quite well...

5. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Yes JM as you put it I mean bang for buck in the higher standard of shoes; not meaning that bang for buck overall isn't awesome. Also not looking for vass at the moment but was wondering if any of you have find it feasible ordering from all the way over here in Australia; I myself am still getting the basics so real bang for buck is what I'm used too :)

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Because Vass make shoes like this:

[​IMG]

[Unfortunately, after wearing these shoes a few times and thinking that they were alright at first, I've come to the reluctant conclusion that they are just a touch too tight for my feet and so I'll probably have to end up selling them and getting a pair 0.5 of a size larger.]

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Great look, TBM.

Is that a Herringbone, herringbone-weave jacket?

I really like wearing mine with a pair of navy trousers, too.

8. jmills

jmills Senior member

[​IMG] That's a bummer about the sizing. I know that feeling all too well, I did exactly the same thing with a pair of Carmina Simpson.

9. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Yes, I voted for all Australian Members as well for the same reason.

Like this man?

[​IMG]

1552 votes and counting ...

10. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Oh god, obviously better than that (but that was what got me thinking).

11. Yankez87

Yankez87 New Member

Not all shoes are bad :) i have some very nice prada, versace and stephano shoes that i think looks great with most of my outfits!

12. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

That album is insanely good and insanely brilliant.

Frank Ocean is more poppy but enjoyable.

I know Rob's into Biggie Smalls (quality choice).

13. flexiflex

flexiflex Active Member

The problem seems to be gone after my rant. I have posted the following two threads eariler. would like to hear people's thought:

"your thoughts on Cartier Watch - Tank series.

http://www.cartier.co.uk/#/show-me/timepieces/w5200004-tank-solo-watch,-large-model

http://www.cartier.co.uk/#/show-me/timepieces/w5200003-tank-solo-watch,-large-model

I am looking for dress watch with leather strap, budget is about $2.5k"

and

"Last time when I picked up my suits from the tailor I saw there were a pile of ties hanging. the tailor told me that he has been doing lots of tie lately, slimming the width and length to give them a more modern look. all by hand of course.

I didn't even think of such service existed... have people tailored their tie before? what are your thoughts on this?"

14. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Ah, been there.

I was a groomsman for a Scottish wedding (in Singapore), but didn't have the time (or finances) to put together a full formal highland get up. Instead, had to make do with the kilt and a black-tie upper half.

I'm trying to dig into the wedding album to see if I can find any pictures, just for shits and giggles.

15. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

I am sure you looked fine, trust me I have seen a lot worse. I own the full formal kilt get up with Prince Charlie jacket, ghillie brogues etc, common 21st present for us Scots.

16. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

Yeah good albumn. Not 100% into your other choices but I'm more into the Shabazz Places side of the genre.

On TBM's fit. Firstly I like it, however I still lean towards the reverse combination being the strictly superior choice. I'd like to hear thoughts on this if anyone wants to dive in.

17. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I haven't looked at Cartier watches for quite a while, but I would have thought that they would cost a fair bit more than $2500.

I do like the look of the Tank, but I do know that they make both quartz and auto models (although the quartz might only be for the ladies' version of the Tank). Speaking personally, I prefer the automatic model as not only does it seem a bit ridiculous to pay thousands of dollars for a watch with a quartz movement, but I like the idea of wearing a little machine on my wrist!

I suppose that if you're not so much into a horological name brand, you could also look at Raymond Weil as I think that they make rectangular watches. I know that Oris used to have a watch with a rectangular (or almost rectangular, "cushion" case) but I'm not sure if they do anymore.

I've had a few ties widened by my tailor as I don't like narrow ties!

Seriously, though, there are some businesses dedicated to narrowing and widening ties, such as Tiecrafters in New York (as an example) and most tailors should be able to do it, too (although if you're having it widened you might need to source interlining for the tie).

18. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Whilst a navy/blue odd jacket and mid-grey odd trousers is certainly the more commonly-worn combination nowadays, I really like the look of a grey odd jacket with a pair of navy or blue trousers.

I wouldn't have a navy odd jacket in a plain grey worsted, for example - it would have to have a pattern or some interest to the cloth and the cloth of TBM's jacket has a reasonably wide, herringbone-weave pattern.

I've got a similar jacket and it's great to wear in winter with a pair of navy, cord trousers, although I did wear it the other day with a white OCBD shirt, black knit tie, navy trousers and black C&J Audley captoe shoes.

19. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

^^ I know the jacket you're talking about JM, it's lovely :)

What I'm wearing is actually an MJ Bale unlined cotton PoW check. From that distance, and taken with an iPhone, the pattern blends in..

20. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Well dressed; well done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.