Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvish

elvish Senior member

sure do. as i'm also aware first hand that cost of living is higher in many places in switzerland or UK, and the salaries are by and large the same or less; at least for my demographic of 20 - 30 in law, banking and consultancy.

2. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Agreed. Good luck with P johnson appointment, I recently got a lighter/more textured charcoal suit from them. Just do as Gerry said and think/write out what you want in terms of details, colours and what you will use the suit for and Tom and Matt will sort you out. Highly recommended and the best part is pick out all the details (well best part after actually getting the suit).

3. elvish

elvish Senior member

that's exactly my point. but when one member says he will offer less than is advertised to only be criticised by the same people it's a contradiction.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012

4. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Pink socks - what was your fabric choice?

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

6. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

It was from the Dugdale Bros book, can remember exact details...but really you best better is to discuss with Tom and Matt, enjoy the experience, look through the options and find exactly what you want...plenty to choose from.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I always thought that their footwear had all the appeal of a turd floating in a punchbowl, but perhaps I'm in a minority.

8. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

So who, in the end, bought items in the Church "73" last sale on Herring shoes?

9. joiji

joiji Senior member

10. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Depends what model you are looking for...for example just on a quick search I can see the Barmoral in Chestnut calf or the Perth in Black calf are available in 10.5 G UK.

11. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Giving it a bit of time to mull over....if I miss it, I miss it.

12. thebrownman

:) I think it's the best way to go about it, too. AJ, you know your size in Church's which is an added benefit. For those buying online without trying on simply due to the sale, it goes without saying that a pair of shoes at $280 that don't fit aren't of much use.

13. thebrownman

\

+1 - sound advice.

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

Michael Sy

I haven't followed in detail but I can sympathise with your problem. Part or most even of your problem is these bloody internet forums. They are full of rules and obsessions with details and have very little helpful information about the whole look or your needs or your body shape etc. You'll have overdosed on full or part canvas, lapel roll, tie knots, Goodyear welt shoes, bespoke rules, high armholes, handmade shoes, and so on and so forth. All very interesting in a way and a nice hobby as you go on and wonder why things work or not. But ultimately not all that useful starting out - other than general ideas and framework. (Don't get me wrong, no one enjoys obsessing about details, history materials etc like I do - but its a trap)

You'll make mistakes, everybody does. None of the details matter if something is what you want and works and is the right price. Everyone is concerned about price - otherwise everyone would have bespoke shoes, suits ties and shirts.

At the same time if you are an assiduous forum reader (looker?) of photos you'll see that some of the biggest disasters are not people who have picked up an outfit from"thrift shops" but are displayed by expensive bespoke wearers. Some are just lapses of taste, which is easy to fall into, but reversible within a day if its a combination, less so if its a wrong suit. Others are truly dreadful executions by expensive tailors fropm Savile Row (no NOT Jimmy's street) . It is even possible, and I know this might shock you, to look like a 30 year old school boy whose mum washed his suit in the machine and shrunk it, in P Johnson suit, bare ankles and camo driving shoes. (not anyone on this thread naturally. It would be bad mannered of me to point you to pictures.)

It only takes a quick search to see tales of woe of those with (seemingly) unlimited disposable cash ordering Perfect Pants From Across the Sea that cost as much as a small car, or HECS debt, or 3 months without a job. Ordering pants that don't turn up (note small pants/cuff wordplay) for over 18 months and if they do arrive are the wrong waist size. ref: Wallace and Gromit - The Wrong Trousers. Or even better an actual but rare documentary of an iGentt receiving the aforementioned Perfect Pants From Across the Sea. -

These people are not like you and me. They live in another dimension.

Again - you'll make mistakes.

Opshops sometimes can give you a decent, not perfect, suit or sportcoat for $30. Don't worry if the armholes are not high etc etc , just get it to fit basically at shoulders waist and length right. Don't worry if its a tad too big on shoulders or other small things. Opshops aren't for all. Thankfully. And they are getting less and less interesting.

Brand warehouses like, Gazman, Sportscraft are good to pick up affordable jackets, pants and shirts that are end of season, on sale or...

Exorcise those forum voices from your head and enjoy the clothes.

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

cough

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.