1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Mate awesome job on the pair. How long does it take you to shine a pair like this ? Is it brand new pair ? I didn't see any creases.

2. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I think Gerry's segue was brilliant. Just wanted everyone to know.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Nicholas D C

Nicholas D C Well-Known Member

Thanks, will check out Boglioli - I've actually had a couple of their sportscoats wishlisted on MrPorter for some time now - just never got around to purchasing 'em. Might be time to do so over the next couple months.

Thanks mate, when I wear a shirt without the jumper the sleeves do peak out from under the cuff, but I think the sweater was causing a few issues in the pic. Will try a few shirts again and double check.

Agree with the odd dimpling not being ideal - will try and figure out what exactly is causing that. Edit: just realised I had my wallet in my inside jacket pocket - that might be the culprit.

Henry Bucks is pretty close to me on O'Connell street, so will pop in there some time and see what they have in stock.

Ah true - I guess it's all relative - Monday to Friday I wear a navy or charcoal suit with white/light blue shirt and tie. So compared to that the jeans/sportscoat combo feels a lot more relaxed to me. Normally I would be wearing chinos and a polo on the weekend, but it was a bit colder where I was and had to go to lunch to meet some friends, so thought I'd layer a little bit more than I usually did.

@Journeyman:

Here's the jacket fabric under halogen lights - looks a lot different under natural light but it's dark out at the mo'! The red stripe is a bit darker and more pronounced IRL.

[​IMG]

@Akula: yep I think a slightly higher collar on the shirt would look better as well.

4. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

Nicholas DC, as informative as some of the posts here are, don't let them dictate the way you dress. #personalstyle is all about making mistakes. That cable knit jumper is dope though.

Thanks to charliechan for donating to #CKtasselloaferfund, the shirt is now sold.

5. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Thanks. The tips are now shined like the rest [​IMG]

This took me around 20-30 or so very light coats. Some shoes are much faster, some take longer - just depends.

This is a brand new pair but I've worn them around the house to make sure there would be no creasing at the cap which would crack the finish.

6. Nicholas D C

Nicholas D C Well-Known Member

True that, but there's too much expertise in this thread to not get feedback now and again - helps me figure out things I wasn't thinking about before.

I find this thread to be far more hospitable to newer entrants to the menswear 'game' than many of the other threads of SF, which is great. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

Actually, I would say 'mistakes', nothing is wrong in the world of #personalstyle.

8. thebrownman

Have worn my O&J popover two days in a row. Love it. Thank you, Rob.

9. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

What colour did you get TBM?
    I ordered a pink one but got the size wrong so am awaiting a white one in its place (pink sold out).

10. aKula

aKula Senior member

I agree with Streetminimal, looks really stylish, don't change too much.

11. thebrownman

I got the chambray in blue denim colour. Shame the pink is all sold out. I got a size M, I thought I'd be an L but Rob told me to get an M and he was spot on. They're so good, I'm sure you'll love yours, PS.

12. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

13. Romp

Romp Senior member

Glad you are enjoying it TBM!

Pink your new size should be there today/tomorrow

We just reordered heaps as they are soon to get featured in a website called style seek and dont want to get caught without stock again #smalltimerproblems

1 person likes this.
  14. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Back to work today :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coat: Herringbone Sydney Hopsack
    Shirt: Light blue cottonwork
    Tie: Henry Carter navy twill 7 fold
    PS: Henry Carter printed silk
    Trousers: Howard Yount Light Grey flannel
    Shoes: Carmina

15. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

^^ Think I have the same trousers. Great outfit CW.

For anyone doing the MTM shirt thing, or just interested in how shirts should fit in general, I thought this post I found from Despos in another thread might be of interest:

"
    Measure the shirt flat on a table, shirt has every button buttoned. Measure across the chest at the bottom of the armhole. Make sure the shirt is stretched out flat and not bunched up anywhere.

If you have a 40" chest and add 3" to the circumference of the shirt chest you will get 21.5" when you measure the shirt the way described. Total measure is 43", this is a very "snug" fit. This may be way too tight for some or just snug to others. Depends on your tolerance for a close fit. 40" chest + 2" would be a very tight fit. Not recommended. A deep breadth would pop a button.

40 + 4" is a trim fit. Measuring across the chest will be 22"

40 + 5" is normal fit by today's standards. Even + 6" would be right for some.
    Those big baggy BB shirts are something like +8" or sometimes more in the chest.

Works the same for the waist except don't use your trouser waist measurement. Use the measurement over any love handles. The largest part of your waist above the trouser waist. if you use your trouser measurement, the shirt won't fit.

If you want a good fit without much extra fabric but not over trim try +5" on the chest and +4" on the waist. Again, how comfortable these formulas work depend on the individual and your body type. What is loose or tight is very subjective to each individual.
    "

1 person likes this.
  16. Henry Carter

Cheers, yeah they are my favourite trousers. I really want a pair of the brown flannels too which are on sale at the moment but I'm still on the fence on account of the delays and slipping communication with HY at the moment. I'll give it a few weeks and re-assess, hopefully things will be a bit smoother by then.

17. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

Re HY I ordered a pair of pants on 4/2, got shipping confirmation on the 10/2 and they were in my hands on the 18/2 so no issues from my end.

18. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

The shipping delays could also be snow-storm related.

19. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

20. Henry Carter

That's good to hear but I know a few other members (LonerMatt I think?) have had a lot of problems of late with no confirmation of shipping and emails, PM's etc un-answered for weeks. I've also not had any problems in the past and knowing the reputation Jamison has, I'm sure the delays and issues will be short lived but still, bad service is bad service regardless of the product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.