1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Already own the top one as I said, but, given that it is currently in the possession of Tiecrafters NYC and I may not have it back for some time (ever?), I bought the bottom one too.

Navy is my favourite colour.

2. Romp

Romp Senior member

yeah this is true... he looks better in black and white so im sticking with black:)

3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

They'll both be continually re-stocked on occasion, but not necessarily as soon as they sell out. FWIW I think there is only 3 or 4 black knits left. The main focus for now is getting all of the stuff for the trunk show here in April and they won't be included in that. What will is the 4 new cashmere knit ties (burgundy, dark blue, grey, brown), about 15 new awesome wool ties in small run qtys, the 5 new grenadines (maroon, black, navy, forest green and chocolate), and about another 10 new woven silks (TBD). So we'll see around 35 new ties, about 10 cashmere scarves (3 new additions on last year), and some of the new smartphone friendly cashmere gloves too, they are from Scotland also. So all in all pretty excited about what's coming up!

4. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

No chance this trunk show would be doing a flying visit to Melbourne?

Your new additions sound excellent!

5. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

The trunk show is in Melbourne and I'm hoping to see you there!

6. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

The trunk show should be a good excuse for a Melbourne meetup. I think its at ludlows.

7. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Where did you think it was going to be, Canberra? LOL

8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

lachyzee I own an identical tie to the top one, Italian silk, worn it to death over the past few years int he corridors of no power, very practical goes with white, blue or pink shirts, blue grey jackets currently in retirement.

Pity the Sydney meet was shifted to next Friday will be in town Friday night.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  9. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

What are you talking about, Canberra has class?

It starts at 9 and finishes at 3:30

[​IMG]

10. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Ha yeah not in Canberra. I love it but it's a sartorial graveyard.

It'll be at Ludlows, if you have purchased off me in the past you will get an invite by email in a few weeks, but if not there will be plenty of info on here beforehand. Set for the 18th at this stage and it will be after hours, so it will kind of be a meetup anyway. It won't be a public event per se, more for Ludlows clients my clients and SF members. It will be a great chance for me to put a lot of faces to names and a great chance for you guys to look and feel product in person.

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

Stealth dressing. Fly beneath the radar.

“The weirder you're going to behave, the more normal you should look. It works in reverse, too. When I see a kid with three or four rings in his nose, I know there is absolutely nothing extraordinary about that person.”
    ― P.J. O'Rourke

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

Only surpassed by black knit tie and grey jacket - especially herringbone.

13. fxh

fxh Senior member

You haven't ruined them. (unless you dried them in front of a heater)
    Shoes are built to be worn.

Sure the soles are more vulnerable when soaking wet but the cuts and nicks will even out overtime and be less slippery.

14. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Do any of you guys own the Alden Flex Welt chukkas; if so how does the Lleydon last fit?

15. Gerry Nelson

16. fxh

fxh Senior member

As someone else mentioned - it might defy some laws but the black knit tie is a basic and at the same time an element of the advanced class. I think Stephen Hawking has written about it in his book on TIME.

Black is a non colour. It doesn't reflect or emit light. So that as a small area - as in a tie - it doesn't draw attention to itself. A desirable attribute at times for a tie. Think of its opposite - the shiney, satin, bright yellow tie of the Real Estate Agent or "Power Dresser" combined with a dark suit and white shirt.

Black has at times been a symbol of austerity (Dutch Protestants), withdrawal from the material world, (priests, nuns, puritans), power, (priests, Nazis, police) and artistic tendencies (architects, artists, Melbourne hipsters) and many other signals. It retains, to an extent, many of these meanings, sometimes all at once, depending on the contexts.

Theres nothing wrong with black (even in a suit) but it can be dodgy - too shiny or too much green caste etc etc . Black needs texture and variation to work well. Shiney black suits = no. Black cords and leather jacket =perhaps.

Black knit ties give texture and interest without attracting attention..

17. fxh

fxh Senior member

What about the elephant in the room?

18. Gerry Nelson

I won't mention it if you won't ...

19. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  20. thebosschamp

thebosschamp Member

I bought some mezlan chukka boots from GILT online, pretty happy with them. Price was good although I wasn't excited about their shipping costs. I'm looking for some brown Oxford wing tips. The ones on GILT have been outrageous. Any suggestions on brands and where to find them? (I live in Adelaide)

Cheers! (I'm new)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.