1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Get this one.

2. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

In the case of black knit tie; I have always wondered why it is more versatile than navy? Starting out I always thought you never needed a black tie except for 'black tie'; also that it was always preferable to get a navy. While I myself have never owned a black knit (heresy :) I have always wondered why everyone think they are the most versatile; is it a trad thing? Don't get me wrong I do enjoy the aesthetic but why black>navy for knits when usually it's always navy>black for most ties?

3. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

This is quite an interesting read: http://www.ivy-style.com/the-black-knit-tie-the-great-neutralizer.html

4. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Already own it. I bought the second one just then.

5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

It's an interesting one, which I can't really answer. I have owned a navy one back before I started the business, but when I'm wearing navy ties I tend to go for pin dots, plain twill or grenadine, so the black makes a nice change. It works very well simply, mid-dark grey suit, white shirt, white linen ps and black oxfords. Also fantastic with beige/khaki cotton suits/coats.

6. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

http://wax-wane.com/2012/11/26/dark-knit-ties-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-hating-and-love-black/

(I do not own a black knit either, yet, though I do have a navy one, a navy with white dots and a navy grenadine).

7. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Navy, baby!

8. Prince of Paisley

I actually agree with you. I rarely wear a black tie (as opposed to "black tie") outside of funerals.

I've always seen a knit tie as an informal accessory. Usually I will pair it with a more informal outfit - brown shoes / lounge suit / odd jacket + pants. In that context I wouldn't wear a black one as it just wouldn't go with the rest of the outfit, and navy (or another colour) works better.

Not saying that a black knit tie isn't a nice item to have, but I wouldn't say it was all that versatile compared to a navy or burgundy knit tie. I guess you would wear it in much the same way as you would a normal black tie - with a more formal suit and black shoes - and it gives a nice bit of texture to an otherwise conservative outfit.

Stray thoughts:
    #5 and #7 look navy.
    Some of those outfits are ghastly.
    Why would you want to "neutralize" your outfit? Does it owe you money?

9. Prince of Paisley

Well you can never have too many.

10. Prince of Paisley

11. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

^hahaha
    Yeah I think If for my first knit I would go for a chocolate or a navy with some kind of dot...then black (Jason hope you restock the brown).
    EDIT:
    noticed Jason has a black, hopefully goes on sale when you restock the brown so I can grab both :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  12. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

True. The old ones are the best (as you and fxh would say)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Gerry Nelson

I think this (from Alan See's blog) is a better illustration:
    [​IMG]

The black knit tie seems to 'tame' the red striped shirt here.

14. Prince of Paisley

I think I See (excuse pun couldn't resist) what you mean. But I'm not sure that effect is any more attributable to a black knit tie than it would be to a woven black tie with a muted design, or another dark coloured knit like a navy knit (that would work better IMO if the suit were blue in this example but you know what I mean). I have a similar red striped shirt and I often pair it with a black, woven silk tie with a small paisley (what else?) design, and it achieves a similar effect to the one in the photo you posted. Anyway, I'm not against black knit ties - they are beautiful things. But I haven't found the "need" to buy one yet all the same.
    This look is known to attract Pussy Galore - especially on a Scotsman.

15. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Guys, guys: black knit ties are the quantum mechanics of menswear--inexplicable by conventional theories. But a black knit tie + a white or light blue shirt + a navy jacket or suit is the duck's nuts, and always will be.

16. Gerry Nelson

I agree with you there. I think any of those ties would have achieved a similar 'taming' effect.

17. Manuhiri

Manuhiri Well-Known Member

So I'm slightly susceptible to suggestion and I think I now need a black knit tie. So the big question is Henry Carter or TobiasJ. I like the more open weave of Toby's but I prefer the width of Jason's. Any thoughts on which would be more versatile?

18. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

NOTE - I HAVE UPDATED MY AVATAR (added this stupid note as I always find it a bit confusing when people updated their avatars, and now I have done it for the second time in a year, dear, oh dear...)

19. Romp

Romp Senior member

wow ok lots to catch up on!
    Nah id go for two different coloured ties.. the top one is probably easier to wear. Try brown ties - works great on navy suits. double repp or pin dot.

Sell to the man below or return to jase - i have the same ones you got
    agreed

Black knit tie is less versatile than navy but bloody wonderful in the wardrobe esp on grey jacket/white shirt ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

To be fair, that could be any dark colour :satisfied:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.