Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Re: suits I think its best to start conservative and when you find your feet then up the ante. Black for formal events and funerals, navy and greys make good cbd bases.

Re: sweat. I think shaving reduces odour and increases airflow but not reduce actual sweating. You also run the risk of looking quite feminine with no underarm hair lol. I tried a few everyday antiperspirants and find the rollons work better. Had good success with nivea 48hr "extra dry" or something. Its a blue bottle with red text

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Placement for PLT starts this summer.

Law seems to be one of those areas that borders on the serious/conservatism of funeral services, at least in the valley.

3. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Brogues are defo a good idea. Care to link to one or two of your favourites?

4. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Well the characters are about as lively...

5. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Sure, I'll look up some links for you tomorrow, if Gerry doesn't beat me to it ;-)

6. elisiX

elisiX Senior member

Guys my Mrs wants to buy a garment steamer - I'm happy with the iron/dry cleaner.

Looked at a few in the shops but have no idea what's worth buying etc. any suggestions?

7. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Like with the discussion a while back on dub monks, I think this is something only the sartorially knowledgeable really worry about. I heartily advocate different (even subtly different) outfits for different occasions, but much more for fun and personal satisfaction than for anything else.

As Phat Guido recently posted, "dress to the context or event"...but don't expect anyone to notice or care :/

8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Funnily enough, I just bought one myself.

The classic is the Jiffy steamer, and you can get hand-held and upright versions. I like the upright myself as I find iit easier to use. The downside is it does take up a fair bit of room.

My main use of them is to steam suits to get the wrinkles out - especially the unsightly wrinkles in the pants. Works brilliantly. Also good to get wrinkles out of ties, linen shirts etc.

I replaced my Jiffy because the water valve got lost, rendering it inoperable. I found a pretty good Tefal upright in Good Guys for $170, whiich will hopefully do the job.

9. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I'm waiting for you, PoP [​IMG]

Rosewood and mahogany just make me think of acoustic guitars!

10. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

It's not completely illogical at all, people assume that layers = more heat, but ignore all other factors. It's about creating airflow, and so on and so forth. Ideally the undershirt is breathable and allows the space between your undershirt and your normal shirt to cool without affecting your perception of heat. Does it work that way? Someone more knowledgeable might be clearer.

One of the reasons that in most hotter areas of the Earth people tend to wear loose flowing garments is because they are cooler, not because they're warmer, the reason I've been told that those clothes are cooler is because there's more space between the skin and the clothing.

For me, if it's a 35+ day I will sweat, at least the undershirt stops me looking like a clown and my shirts from getting ruined by my sweating. That's the bottom line, the rest is just fun to discuss, if it doesn't work, oh well. I don't feel warm enough in winter with the undershirt on either.

11. sliq

sliq Senior member

but.. what will he wear if he goes clubbing?

12. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

My Borat Mankini.

13. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

I was at a lunch the other day with a room full of barristers and judges and there were certainly a lot of flamboyant dressers - lots of braces and bow ties and well manicured moustaches.

In court, barristers and instructors do dress fairly conservatively, though (when not robed up obviously). On the bench, on the other hand, judges pretty much wear whatever the hell they want. Bow ties are particularly popular. Female judges are also often quite snappy dressers.

In terms of commercial firms, I don't think lawyers dress as extravagantly as the wannabe bankers. Way less contrast collars etc.

14. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

With the silkiest arm pits this side of the hemisphere [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. meister

meister Senior member

I would have about the same number and I work on the same principle. I stopped buying but then I started again though the $2 is now often $5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.