Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Lazy question for a lazy Sunday afternoon: I have the following shoes, what should my next pair be?

-Dark brown captoe oxfords
    -Suede double monks
    -Tan pebble grain chukkas
    -Dark suede chukkas
    -Black longwings (rarely worn)
    -Tan bluchers (cheap beaters)

Note that I don't wear suits at all at the moment (just jacket, odd trou and tie), and plan to only rarely in the future, and that I don't really like black shoes. I'm also starting to wear more casual jackets on Fridays and weekends.

I'm thinking dark brown calf bluchers? I was considering burgundy or dark brown longwings, but not sure how much I would wear such a 'heavy' shoe in the summer, so maybe this should be next year's purchase. Was also considering dark brown calf or suede loafers, but after not fitting into a pair of C&J Sydney in my size the other day due to my high insteps, I'm leery of ordering a pair online...

2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Tobias, considering your current wardrobe and usual attire, I would say a nice pair of rosewood or mahogany brogues (wingtips or adelaides?) might be versatile enough for you. Most of the English makers have a nice range in these styles.

3. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

Not sure if serious....

You do realise that sweating is the body's cooling mechanism right? Under the armpits is where sweating normally occurs so removing hair from that area isn't going to fix things...

4. joiji

joiji Senior member

Dark brown bluchers or wingtips (bluchers), maybe NST?. I'll get those photos for you tomorrow of the Meermin's, but they are a burgundy, rather than brown.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

5. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Ah sorry, didn't know.

6. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Horrendous

The Fark?

7. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

It can reduce sweating, that's for sure.

I sweat a lot, but having an aluminium-free deoderant and an undershirt prevents almost all of my issues.

8. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&out...efe76d35983d56&bpcl=37189454&biw=1486&bih=763

Mixed results on the internet. Some people believe that shaving will reduce odour and the amount of liquid you sweat.

I wouldn't have posted it, if it hadn't of been discussed before.

9. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

This always blows my mind. People say the cure for sweating is an undershirt and the sweat wont penetrate the shirt you actually care about. But isn't it completely illogical to wear MORE layers when it's hot? I tried to wear an undershirt last spring while I was walking to work and it was the most uncomfortable, heat-stricken walk I've ever done. Felt like I was going to faint.

10. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

That's been my experience - there's no layer of hair there so it's cooler and the sweat has no hair to cling to.

11. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Surely this depends on your working environment. From your second sentence, you seem to be making the assumption that we're either in the legal fraternity or regularly brought up on various charges [​IMG]

I'm not and I wear everything from odd jackets/odd trousers to a three piece suit without any issue.

13. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Try this, Mrs db buys it for me.
    http://moogoo.com.au/deodorant/fresh-cream-deodorant.html?SID=070899df70fe755178fe3394c54d1769
    Aluminium free anti perspirant.

14. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

I have never seen that thread before, I laughed more than anything else on SF. Manton's posts are gold.

15. jmills

jmills Senior member

Manton is from the US, so be careful. Just remember, the practitioners you've seen haven't thought about what they're wearing, let alone formed a view that anything other than charcoal or black is not CBD enough. They probably just decided to wear what they see others wearing, or what the sales assistant told them looks good. Even if they have thought about it, they don't have the same knowledge and experience that we have obtained through reading, looking at pictures, and actually wearing other things.

Where do we draw the line? Just keep going until someone tells us to stop? I have seen senior practitioners and silks wearing light colours, loud ties, and brown shoes. But I haven't seen anyone dressed as well as some members here are, nor have I seen any whiz-bang patterns, dub monks, peak lapels or patch pockets making an appearance just yet.

Side point - didn't you say you were studying for Contract Law? Is worrying about what to wear to Court a real issue for you?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.