Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Hey guys,

Where do you go in Melbourne for flush toe taps...I've been holding out on getting them for my suede oxfords and the fronts look a little ratty now (here's hoping that once they're in they'll look better).

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Unfortunately, I don't think that there is anywhere in Oz that fists flush toe taps - you either have to ask for them to be fitted at the factory (as some manufacturers, such as Edward Green and Vass) will do this, or you have to send your shoes to someone like B. Nelson in NY, which costs an appallingly large amount in postage.

I'm happy to be corrected, though!

3. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

I think your right, just called up beggarman (if anyone I though it would be these guys) and they can't do em flush...
    Guess I'll just get em the normal way :)
    P.S.
    How would I make the wear on the toes less noticeable as it looks like there is sand clumped (not much, but noticeable) on the toes from the leather wearing down?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012

4. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

I get metal toe taps on all my dress shoes, non-flush. I don't notice their presence at all when walking. \

5. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I've never really been into thrifting for clothes. My attitude - and I'm not claiming it's the "right" attitude, only that it's mine - is that the possible savings you may make from finding wearable items at next to nothing are overrated. Yes, you may "save" $1,000 on a suit but think about the time and energy expended - the trials and errors - to accumulate the knowledge and to hunt down these "bargains". You could be spending all that time doing other things (like waiting in line to post your meerkats back to Skase Island, or earning enough money to buy stuff you want). Some people say time is money; I disagree. Time is far more valuable because you can't make more of it. As fxh also rightly points out, this kind of activity is 'not for dilettantes', at least, not if you don't want to waste all your time.

If you actually enjoy thrifting for clothes, then that is another matter. That is obviously the case with some members here (and my partner I'm ashamed to admit). I always say that you are not wasting your time, no matter what you are doing, if you are enjoying yourself. Still, for me, I think the case of clothes is different to, say, antiques, where the rarity and value of the items is much higher than clothing. I do a bit of collecting here and there but only because you can't make a palisander compass chair any more because there is no palisander left (and even if there were, there's no one left who would know how to join it). But as for ties and Herringbone suits... You can get this stuff (or equivalent) much more easily, and not at a cost that justifies devoting large amounts of time to trying to source it at a deep discount. If you collect Florsheim Imperials instead of furniture, then trawling the opshops is your best bet and I encourage you. But if all you're after is a cheaper way to shod yourself than camouflageloafers.com, then thrifting is not for you.

Thrifting is admirable and ecofriendly etc. and has a lot of positives if you enjoy it. But I'm just concerned some of the newer members here will think they can go out and get the kind of "bargains" (is it still a bargain if it took you 5 weekends and a tank of gas to find it?) that the old China hands like fxh can boast of. I'm sure for every dirt cheap Herringbone suit there is a pair of meerkats in his wardrobe that he hasn't had time to return yet because he's out on the hunt for the pre-loved sartorial holy grail.

No offence ;-)

6. jmills

jmills Senior member

[​IMG]

7. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Hey guys,

I'd really like some advice on these 3 Barbour's which are in my size (tried on at Dj's) they are all bedale's and I am happy to wear navy or olive, I am just wondering which you would buy and why? The main question stopping me from buying one is the 'patina' on them...is it too much or is it just fine:

Auction (will probably put a bid down regardless, also say's navy and half the pictures are different):
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BARBOUR-...kets&hash=item3f1e1b35eb&_uhb=1#ht_621wt_1397

BuyNow:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RARE-VIN..._LE&hash=item232434f212&_uhb=1#ht_5467wt_1397
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STUNNING..._LE&hash=item257717d303&_uhb=1#ht_4243wt_1397

Thanks
    P.S.
    Whoever owns the Barbour here was your's just as patinated?

8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Maybe next winter.

9. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

guys - where can I get a well priced, super duper, irish linen pocket square from?

10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Have a look at Kent Wang:

http://www.kentwang.com/white.html

11. catpower

catpower Active Member

I'd go with the second one. A second hand Barbour will always be a little unique and the patina will resemble its history which is what I love. First one looks like it hasn't been waxed properly and cared for. And the last one..just looks odd and too shiny.

Bear in mind you should be looking to wash down (cold water only of course) and rewax any second hand Barbour you pick up. A bit of elbow grease, so to speak. :)

Edit: looks like the second one has a tear in the sleeve. The first one with a bit of waxing could up come quite alright.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012

12. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

13. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Drakes are Irish ... you pay the price for Irish

14. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Checked them out, best I've found so far is P Johnson for $35. Just seeing if I can do any better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.