Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

Because a suit is (sadly) used only as a corporate uniform designed to invoke power and appeal to authority. It isn't intended to be a useful and functional item of clothing.

The suit evolved and was to a large extent designed. It was intended to be a leveler and to democratise mens clothing outfits.

It sad that the most democratic of outfits - the suit - has come to be regarded in some places as a signifier of elitism.

99% of suits are worn in air-conditioned offices which is why you can wear all season fabrics all year round.

It should be linen/cotton/open-weave wool in summer and flannels/corduroy in winter, with 'all-season wool (i.e. generic super 100-120's) used in autumn and spring. But people don't think about their suits in that way. Or clothes full stop for that matter.

I'm sure I'm not alone but I have had jobs where I emerge from air con house to walk maybe 5 metres to an air con car, then drive some way to a cool underground car park and then enter an air con building to work all day . Then at evening the performance is repeated, from Air con office down to basement, to air con car then from car to air con house.

The only time one needs to adjust is for a short walk outside or if one is on public transport. And increasingly public transport is air con too.

The suit, and most other classic mens outfits emerged from UK and for many years of its evolution London had inadequate heating and insulation hence heavy materials and 3 piece suits in office and negligible summers - compared to our summers.

Mens clothes haven't evolved much for our climate, although one could look to the italian influence of lighter materials, sport coats instead of suits and lighter shoes as perhaps evidence that there has been some evolution in Oz.

Part of the problem is that sunnier climes encourage less clothes generally and this coupled with a small - ish market means there isn't a lot of push or pull for an evolution of formal (business) wear in Oz.

2. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Closing down eh? Wonder if they are re-locating to more suitable premises or if they have given up on the Sydney market altogther?

They're moving to Westfield (Centrepoint).

3. Tabaus

Tabaus Member

Closing down eh? Wonder if they are re-locating to more suitable premises or if they have given up on the Sydney market altogther?

I think they might be moving to the new Pitt St Mall.

4. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Hey everyone,

Anyone here familiar with the brands "Raffaello Caruso" and " Lab Pal Zileri"?

Harrolds (Martins Place, Sydney) is having a closing down sale - up to 70% off. Quite a few are the Caruso and Zileri suits (About $2000 RRP).

Raffaello Caruso suits are fantastic. Lab Pal Zileri are a notch below, they are the cheaper /younger lable of Pal Zileri and I believe are fused.

Caruso suits on sale in the Melbourne Harrolds store go for abouty $1,400. Mainline Pal Zileri is about $1,200 and Lab is about $1,000 or under.

What sort of prices are you getting in Martins Place at the moment?

5. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Raffaello Caruso suits are fantastic. Lab Pal Zileri are a notch below, they are the cheaper /younger lable of Pal Zileri and I believe are fused.

Caruso suits on sale in the Melbourne Harrolds store go for abouty $1,400. Mainline Pal Zileri is about $1,200 and Lab is about $1,000 or under.

+1 on Caruso. I own a couple and they are a great suit.

6. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Good to know. If I wasn't so skint I'd be down there to take a look but I'm afraid I'll spend $1000 I can't afford at the moment [​IMG]

7. Tabaus

Tabaus Member

Some of the suits (not sure if its Lab or Caruso) were close to $2K. They are now 60-70% off.

8. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Senior member

for that money, why not get a WWChan?

9. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Because we are in Australia and WWC Is in HK

10. johnannemarie

johnannemarie Senior member

Any ideas on where to buy pocket squares in Perth?

11. JohnsNotHere

JohnsNotHere Senior member

Any ideas on where to buy pocket squares in Perth?

Parker & Co, Herringbone... DJ's to probably

Or buy online at Kent Wang

12. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

was in herringbone today. little bit disapointed with the range. good place to buy ties tho.

13. johnannemarie

johnannemarie Senior member

I will have to have a look this afternoon. I think the store may have opened whilst I was overseas.

14. meister

meister Senior member

Just be careful with buying Pal Zileri suits. I hear the spec is going down scale from the top notch suit in Sydney to a poor spec without full canvas etc...

15. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

Newsflash:

Suits don't fit Melbourne's trendy bars (Herald Sun)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1225963524736

.... Not that I have an issue with others showing up in anything else but a suit, but seriously, WTH?

Is there some sort of anti-suit movement brewing up in VIC? Bet they probably couldn't differentiate as well if you're wearing a sportscoat/slacks combination....

the sheer stupidity of this..... [​IMG]

They were doing this in parts of London like Hoxton/Shoreditch. Part if it's a slightly childish, 'ooh aren't we alternative' attitude, but apparently some of the better bars were getting descended upon en masse by City boy twatfucks. There was also an issue with folks going straight out from work, getting mashed and generally acting the arse.
    Don't approve, but I can understand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.