Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Oh, cool, so they're doing that now? Sounds perfectly suited to the warm Aussie climate :)

How's the baby? :) And mum?

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Yes, also known as La Vera Sartoria Napoletana.

It's lovely stuff - Rene from Deer Style in Brisbane ordered one of their jackets as he was thinking of carrying La Vera and offering it as an MTM option through Deer Style - but it's also expensive. I suspect that prices will be quite a bit more than P. Johnson's current pricing, perhaps $1000 more.

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Well, in my defence :), it's a look that I've been wearing during summer for the past few years. It's a great summer look and it looks very good on Romp in his lookbook photos.

I'm a bit obsessed with cotton trousers and I've got about ten pairs, including yellow, orange, sky blue, beige, navy, two shades of green and three shades of red!

Fxh, sorry to have taken some time to reply.

The LE OCBDs that I was wearing on Monday and Tuesday have a little tag on the inside of the collar that says "Original Oxford", and they both require ironing.

The shirts are a few years old and have softened up nicely with time and washing. The collar is unfused, nice and light, with a great roll. The placket and cuffs on each shirt appear to be fused, but are nice and springy rather than hard. Unfortunately, LE doesn't seem to make the "Original Oxford" shirts anymore, at least in a tailored fit. I'd love to pick up a pink and white university stripe like the one that you mentioned, even if it is non-iron.

My other LE OCDB is a plain blue one, from their "Hyde Park" range. The cloth is discernably heavier/beefier/thicker (pick whichever adjective you prefer!) and it's newer than the others - about a year old. It's softening up nicely now, too, as it's been washed quite a few times.

I don't know if they've shortened the collar points on some of their oxford shirts - it's possible that they have, as shorter collar points are trendy nowadays, much to my chagrin. Shirts from LE's Canvas range have smaller collars, as I bought a couple of then returned them as I didn't like the collars.

However, looking at the photo of the tailored-fit Hyde Park OCBD on the LE website, the collar points still look as though they are a good length and the collar has a nice roll to it.

I've also got two Uniqlo OCBDs, and I'm wearing one of them today.

4. thebrownman

Journeyman, does your jacket feature suede elbow patches and non-functional buttons at the cuffs?

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

TBM, it's a bit different from the regular Herringbone jacket as Ethan made a couple of alterations and sent the jacket up to me - he replaced the stock suede patches (which were black, from memory) with chocolate brown patches, replaced the stock buttons with lovely, buffalo horn buttons and gave the jacket working cuffs, too.

6. thebrownman

Awesome. The stock one was made with black, yes. Looks nice. Our wardrobes likely have a lot of Herringbone crossover.

For those interested, the jacket I'm selling (see signature) was made as the sample for what Journeyman owns and is kindly modelling for us. What I'm selling features working cuffs and has self-fabric elbow patches :)

7. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

Recomendations for a nice pair of trousers in Melbourne CBD?

I don't wear suits so I'm happy to spend $350 on a pair.

thanks.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

A reprint of mine:
    Re: LE decreasing peak length:
    As a public service, and contribution to scientific knowledge, I took one brand new, blue, slim fit, HP out of its plastic bag and measured it. 3" to point of collar and 1.5" high middle of back collar. This was purchased in end of July 2012. So the “alleged” .5 drop in peak measurement was not apparent at that stage. Still awaiting field reports from agents on later shirts.

An LE marked OCBD "Original" not a HP or a "Washed" = 3" at peak 1.6/8" height at back

Bean, OCBD Very thick faded pink with dark pink broad strips - one of my favourites but needs collar turning = 3.1/8" at peak and 1.6/8 height at back. I'd say this has the best roll - maybe because its the thickest oxford?

LE Non Iron OCBD marked "Original Oxford" uni stripes - 3" at peak and 1.6/8 back height. I must say I only have two of these and they have turned out nice and soft - and look good - making me a bit more sympathetic to non iron.

Brooks Brothers - modernish non iron poplin BD 3.1/8+ at peak and 1.7/8" at back height.

Italian OCBD pink - 3" at peak and 1.4/8" at back height.

LE paintbrush BD checked - 3" at peak and 1.7/8' at back height

My cheaper aud$14 Washed Oxfords (sport shirts) are 2.5" at peak and 1.5" at back.

The non-iron slim fit Oxfords in Uni stripe measure the same as HP

I can't help thinking a 2" high collar at back and 3.75" at peak would roll like a drunk on a boat in a storm and be fully sick.
    Although peak length is a big factor in roll its not all there is to it, nor is it all height of collar leaf, clearly collar peak button down placement plays a part, (and is possibly the easiest "fix" for roll) and I notice the collar base is very different in the way it narrows down in front on many shirts, and may in fact play a bigger part than I thought in roll.

9. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

10. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

What about the Henry Bucks clearance outlet?
    http://www.henrybucks.com.au/stores/clearance-outlet

I am in need of a pair or two of odd trousers too and keep thinking it might be worth visit here (have not been in about 3 years)...anyone visited recently?

11. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Yes. Not worth it, at least when I was there. Small range, very small markdowns.

Anyone interested in splitting a 2 for 1000 MJ Bale deal? I'm in Melbourne, just checked out there new store.

12. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

How many suits in the new store come under the 2 for $1,000?

Is it about 6 suits?

13. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Henry Bucks have lots of trousers on sale in Feb at OK prices.

14. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

I'll be interested, Patrick told me about his Napoli line earlier in the year.

Please keep us updated.

15. lennier

lennier Senior member

There's a slight possibility I might be interested. Haven't had a chance to get to the store and check out the fit as yet though. Will let you know if I decide to give them a try!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.