1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

What are you doing in Malaysia? Chinese New Year celebrations?

2. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I thought I'd drop in on thursday and have.a look. I'm not expecting anything much, but I'm hopeful of finding some linen and dress slacks at a price I can justify to myself. (Last time I bought some Paul Smith trousers that were marked down from $1000 to a more reasonable $100.)

3. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

^If that's the case I will definitely be there!

4. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

What an interesting interview, found he came off quite relaxed and humble (which is not always how he appears in interviews, IME).

5. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

Loving the talk of that new business venture he's starting up. Can't wait.

6. dsvelte

dsvelte Member

Harrolds isn't too bad price-wise for 'fashion' brands, maybe they know that stylish gents looking for classic suiting etc will pay more than the seasonal crowd?

I do think the days of cheap international designer brands being available via Mr Porter etc are on the wane, probably due to the complaining of retailers like Harrold that they are being undercut. In the last 6 months I've noticed that Givenchy, Burberry and even Valentino all have Australian prices on the website in pounds substantially above the UK price.

Previously you could reliably bet that anything under the $AUD1000 limit on Mr Porter would be the UK price minus 20% VAT, but now it looks as if the reverse is true and they are marking up, not down. For example the last 2 seasons Givenchy on Mr P has been marked at close to the Australian RRP as you would find in Harrolds, and the new wave of Burberry Prorsum is all in the ballpark of Aus RRP, where previously it was 50% cheaper. Ridiculous really when there must be all of 2 retailers that stock Givenchy (Harrolds, Robby Ingham) and only the Sydney Burberry store stocks Prorsum.

It will be interesting to see in future if Aussie shoppers will still want to buy, say a Givenchy T for GBP385 when the price in the UK *including* the 20% VAT is GBP300 and the same shirt would have previously been GBP240 for Australians.

Or maybe they just figure nobody will notice.

7. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

For those who've been recentl, what does DM have in the way of loafers?

8. joiji

joiji Senior member

9. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

B
    ...B....a...r...o...n De Rede....Hnnnnng!

10. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I remember they had Cleverly gusset loafers and the Rubinacci ones as well. I'm sure there are others but I can't recall.

11. Naka

Naka Senior member

Burgundy shell C&J Tassels were the only pair I can think of. The Kimber Tassels at Beggar Man thief looked quite nice, reasonably priced too.

12. thebrownman

Ah yes, the burgundy shells are on the 325 last - "Cavendish", I believe. Unfortunately they don't fit my feet well because they're lovely shoes.

13. thebrownman

Sorry, double post.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  14. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

It's a great interview, and I must say I'm intrigued to see what the new venture entails, and wish him the best of luck with it!

Having a P Johnson commission and thinking about what the next will be I might have to hold off and see what other options become available...

15. joiji

joiji Senior member

Fit pictures from the other day for another forum, figured you guys might appreciate them too.

TM Lewin white poplin
    Luxire light summer navy chino
    Alden #8 chukka

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quite happy with the Luxire pants, might need to shrink the waist measurement though on the next pair. Unhappy with the shelf butt though, any ideas for solutions?

16. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

I think that fit is great.

17. Romp

Romp Senior member

Yeah im really excited, we were finalising details today. We are very close now :)

2 people like this.
  18. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

OK, whilst I've found some time to post (and I know the general question has been asked previously, but these things can be transient) however I'm heading over to Melbourne in late March and looking to take the better half out for what I hope is a wonderful meal. Having decamped back in 2002, I'm a little rusty on what's what these days, so would like to take any recommendations for restaurants in the city (staying at the Rialto) which serve up great dining?

Thoughts gents?

19. El QUaG

El QUaG Senior member

I own a few pairs of Made in Italy HW trousers (Nailhead, Tropical Wool & Four Seasons Wool) and worn once a fortnight or so for just on one year.

in saying that, I've had to repair the belt buckle fastener, front closure button and rear pocket button on two out of the three pairs. Buttons came off clean from the fabric would you believe.

I found sizing to be true to size for the Made in Italy trousers. I'm a 32 and they fit nicely with a belt.

Hope this helps!

20. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Showing plenty of cuff. I thought I was the only one that has 3 inches of cuff :p.

Where do you guys suggest getting Carmina from? There is the Armoury, the main website and Epaulet. I am sought of stuck there.
    Do you think it is acceptable to use newspaper as a substitute to shoe trees? I have quite a few pairs of sneakers and boots, but don't have trees.
    Lastly, does Fxh really object to wearing loafers without socks? How about in winter with jeans, surely it is okay to wear socks with suede loafers.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.