• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions dudes. GF texted earlier saying she'd booked something. If only she'd answer her phone, I could know what it is. Probably a Mantra apartment I'm guessing.
If anyone's around and wants to catch up, let me know
smile.gif

any good restaurants / coffee places on the agenda?

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing's on the agenda so far man. GF's brother had a baby girl so am making the obligatory trip to "see the baby"..

streetminimal

Reaction score

What? Whenever I go to Sydney I stay there and it's fine. Without knowing his budget/needs, I felt it was suitable suggestion.

Jog along buddy.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think MJ Bale is broken down into two levels: the standard level which is made in China; the 'Classic' suits, and the higher end $1,000+ suits made in Japan; the 'Collection' suits (can't view online).

They have had 'Classic' suits going for $500 for about a month now and will continue to do so for about another month. I guess you could almost tag their classic suits at $500 each. 'Normally' they are priced at $800-$1,000 (jacket and pants).

Actually MJ bale have had the 2 for $1k suit deal for quite a few months now. I don't really think it's going away anytime soon to be honest.

Also the quality gap on the 2 levels of suits isn't huge, the main difference being the collection suits are full canvas lined while the classic suits are half lined (sometimes preferable for a summer suit). They are both cut on the same block and the fabrics are woven in the same mills IIRC although IMO the collection suits tend to have a nicer hand to their fabric (also more delicate which can be a negative depending on how many suits you have and how you wear them).

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually MJ bale have had the 2 for $1k suit deal for quite a few months now. I don't really think it's going away anytime soon to be honest.
Also the quality gap on the 2 levels of suits isn't huge, the main difference being the collection suits are full canvas lined while the classic suits are half lined (sometimes preferable for a summer suit). They are both cut on the same block and the fabrics are woven in the same mills IIRC although IMO the collection suits tend to have a nicer hand to their fabric (also more delicate which can be a negative depending on how many suits you have and how you wear them).

That was my point - the deal has been around for quite a while, it is almost like the 'norm' is a $500 suit.

Great points about the construction, fabric and feel - I didn't know that.

What? Whenever I go to Sydney I stay there and it's fine. Without knowing his budget/needs, I felt it was suitable suggestion.
Jog along buddy.
And I wear Dunlop Volleys to work because I think they are a good value shoe for $25. I don't think it would be quite SF in nature to go around recommending everyone to buy DVs. You made myself and 3 other people feel like crap. It was justified, I admit. But very low when you compare it with what you just put forward.

Look, Street, I am new here. It would be wise for me to listen more than I speak. Other members have been kind enough to private message me with advice on how to better my approach. That is nice of them, and I take what they seriously. You just decided to humiliate myself and a couple of other people.

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions dudes. GF texted earlier saying she'd booked something. If only she'd answer her phone, I could know what it is. Probably a Mantra apartment I'm guessing.
If anyone's around and wants to catch up, let me know
smile.gif
You get in friday or sat morning? can catch you for a drink or food

jmills

Reaction score
Quote:
Come on now, you can't go getting hurt over what strangers write on the internet...

musicboohoo[1].gif

And in other news, the Sunday shopping session was just sent off the rails by some psychotic, foul-mouthed woman yelling abuse out of the window of her 4WD, regarding some totally imagined road incident. She then proceeded to chase me down a major highway, presumably to get revenge over whatever she thought happened (couldn't make sense of it, honestly)...

censored.gif

Last edited:

smeggett

Reaction score
For those in Adelaide looking for denim, RHD was mentioned a few pages back. I wandered in on Saturday and received the best damned service I've ever had from any retail store in this country!

They know their stuff, are attentive without being overbearing and are genuinely helpful in answering questions (such as explaining what Selvedge denim is)...

They also shorten and hem your purchase on the spot using a 1940 Singer sewing machine which does a beautiful chainstitch (apparently the only machine of that type in the country).

It's great to see that some places can do these things right - they'll definitely getmore business for me and the missus. :slayer:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big step forward today. I rode a bike for the first time since the accident (11 months ago). Got through half an hour OK, with no shoulder problem afterward. My arse hurt something chronic though.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those in Adelaide looking for denim, RHD was mentioned a few pages back. I wandered in on Saturday and received the best damned service I've ever had from any retail store in this country!

They know their stuff, are attentive without being overbearing and are genuinely helpful in answering questions (such as explaining what Selvedge denim is)...

They also shorten and hem your purchase on the spot using a 1940 Singer sewing machine which does a beautiful chainstitch (apparently the only machine of that type in the country).

It's great to see that some places can do these things right - they'll definitely getmore business for me and the missus.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I think that would have been me. The biggest thing for me was the pricing. There was little to no markup over the countries where the denim's being sewn and sold, something which amazed me for an Australian distributor.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Experienced members, I need some help.

I want to take a full dive and revamp my wardrobe casually too.

What do you guys wear in summer? what staples can you recommend for a wardrobe?

I'm thinking:

- RMW Craftsman (brown) (currently own)
- RMW 1 1/2" leather belt (brown) (currently own)
- x2 sports blazers (navy + light grey) - I was thinking either country road or having them made up locally
- RMW graziers (white + light blue)
- Levi 501s (currently own)
- RMW moleskins

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Experienced members, I need some help.

I want to take a full dive and revamp my wardrobe casually too.

What do you guys wear in summer? what staples can you recommend for a wardrobe?

I'm thinking:

- RMW Craftsman (brown) (currently own)
- RMW 1 1/2" leather belt (brown) (currently own)
- x2 sports blazers (navy + light grey) - I was thinking either country road or having them made up locally
- RMW graziers (white + light blue)
- Levi 501s (currently own)
- RMW moleskins

I'm quite partial to a bunch of white button down shirts. They match with most things and a variation of materials gives nice variety through the seasons (cotton/linen/etc). With summer coming up I'd almost say stay off the blazers until the end of season then pick up some wool stuff from overseas, but it's what you're partial to. Country Road should be coming up to and end of season sale for some of it soon, which I don't mind, but I know aren't a favourite for a lot of people here. Chinos are a good alternative to jeans for warmer weather, albeit not everyones cup of tea. If you wear 501's you might find a lot of chino's cut very slim, so fair warning there. Probably a pair of boat shoes would be a good opposite to your chelsea boots, or some similarly casual shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads