Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Where do you get your (suit) hangers from? Any tips?

Best ones I got have wide wooden shoulders and a hinged clip/dowel with wire to keep pants sliding. They are from The Hyatt and my access to the supply is limited *ahem cough*

The next best were from K Mart almost the same except without a dowel clip for pants but they do have a PVC ribbed covering on dowel to stop slippage - and they were only around $3- 5 each. I've never seen them back there since i got my last lot.

edit: K Mart were pretty much the same as these below but not dark polished , perhaps even wider shoulder flares. $5 vs $75
    http://www.hangerproject.com/mens-ha...t-hangers.html

+1 on K Mart - I have found that my local stores don't always have good ones in stock, but when they do, it is certainly worth picking up a few.

Also, for anyone in Brisbane, a store called "Mei + Picchi" at Newstead/Teneriffe also sells terrific hangers at great prices - they sell wholesale to clothing stores but are also open to the public.

2. tone76

tone76 Senior member

+1 on K Mart - I have found that my local stores don't always have good ones in stock, but when they do, it is certainly worth picking up a few.

Also, for anyone in Brisbane, a store called "Mei + Picchi" at Newstead/Teneriffe also sells terrific hangers at great prices - they sell wholesale to clothing stores but are also open to the public.

Thanks for the tip. Mei + Picchi appear to have branches in most Australian capitals. I walk past the one in Adelaide on a regular basis but haven't actually been in there yet. Looks like I might have to pop in there and have a look.

http://www.meipicchi.com/index.php?p...t-us#locations

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Thanks for the tip. Mei + Picchi appear to have branches in most Australian capitals. I walk past the one in Adelaide on a regular basis but haven't actually been in there yet. Looks like I might have to pop in there and have a look.

http://www.meipicchi.com/index.php?p...t-us#locations

Good thinking - I didn't even think to check as to whether they had a website.

When I visited the Brisbane store a couple of years ago, I bought about 20 of these hangers:
    http://www.meipicchi.com/index.php?m...t01returnid=20

4. Smudge

Smudge Senior member

Thanks for all those tips on Hangers. Great stuff guys! [​IMG]

5. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Best ones I got have wide wooden shoulders and a hinged clip/dowel with wire to keep pants sliding. They are from The Hyatt and my access to the supply is limited *ahem cough*

The next best were from K Mart almost the same except without a dowel clip for pants but they do have a PVC ribbed covering on dowel to stop slippage - and they were only around $3- 5 each. I've never seen them back there since i got my last lot.

edit: K Mart were pretty much the same as these below but not dark polished , perhaps even wider shoulder flares. $5 vs $75
    http://www.hangerproject.com/mens-ha...t-hangers.html

OK, we all admit Australia is a comparative sartorial wasteland, but anyone who spends $75+ on importing coathangers has rocks in his head IMO.

6. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Any advice on a good shoe repair place/cobbler in Melbourne city? Got some old brogues that need recovering.

Or reviews on McCloud's service: http://www.mccloud.com.au/shoe-repair ?

Cheers

PS very happy with the work done by Katrina's in Liverpool st. as recommended on here. Now owned by a (chinese?) man and his wife, rather than Katrina herself, but they are friendly, do good work, and are quite well-priced.

7. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

OK, we all admit Australia is a comparative sartorial wasteland, but anyone who spends $75+ on importing coathangers has rocks in his head IMO.

It's $75 for a set of three hangers, so 'only' $25 per hanger [​IMG] Maybe I have rocks in my head but they ARE nice hangers. Will check out Kmart next time maybe...

8. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

$25 per hanger... not bad - what's the total damage though with postage from the States?

9. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Any advice on a good shoe repair place/cobbler in Melbourne city? Got some old brogues that need recovering.

Or reviews on McCloud's service: http://www.mccloud.com.au/shoe-repair ?

Cheers

PS very happy with the work done by Katrina's in Liverpool st. as recommended on here. Now owned by a (chinese?) man and his wife, rather than Katrina herself, but they are friendly, do good work, and are quite well-priced.

Re the shoes, I would personally go to McLouds or otherwise return to the manufacturer.

I have given Katrina's a big rap in the past. The former owner, Kim, still works there part time. The current owner is, I agree, friendly and the quality of the work seems comparable to when Kim was in charge.

10. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

$25 per hanger... not bad - what's the total damage though with postage from the States?

When I ordered a set of 5 it was about US $15.

HTH
    Ben

11. calisanfran

calisanfran Senior member

Am assuming this part of the world ain't feeling too well with the pommies approaching 500 for 1 down??[​IMG]

12. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Gents, just noticed a mystery stain on the sleeve of my favourite suit. Can anyone recommend a trusted dry cleaner in Melbourne's CBD with a talent for stain removal?

13. blahman

blahman Senior member

Just took my suit to Katrina's on Liverpool/Bourke St to be adjusted and finished. As soon as I got changed they started sticking pins in me like voodoo doll.

And at the end of it they handed me my bill o.o

Collar adjustment to smooth out ripples: 35
    Shorten jacket: 40
    Overall body seams taken in (back, under the pits, waist): 50
    shorten sleeves: 40
    Pants tapered from just above the knee: 20
    Pants hemmed: 17

Looks quite good after the bits have been pinned down I must say. Hope the finished product is good.

I've been randomly hearing/reading about a particular cleaner around South Yarra thats quite good? Further investigation needed.

14. Tano

Tano Senior member

Can anyone suggest a good tailor in Perth? I bought a zegna suit from a member here and i need the length of the sleeves and length of the jacket shortened. In another post someone mentioned Final Touch, can anyone comment on quality of workmanship?

15. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Just took my suit to Katrina's on Liverpool/Bourke St to be adjusted and finished. As soon as I got changed they started sticking pins in me like voodoo doll.

Earlier this year, with the help of Katrina's I embarked on a campaign to correct the fit of my entire suit wardrobe. I was very impressed with their appreciating for shape and form, and will continue to use them for any new purchases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.