Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

Yeah- I think there was something in the basic concept of the safari suit for Australia.

My inclination is the relaxed cotton suit should be the go.

However right now me and Ms fxh are obsessed with the Geelong Cup fashions. Mostly the women.

Gives great hope for the Spring Season

http://www.theage.com.au/photogalle...cup-2012-20121024-28560.html?selectedImage=21

http://www.theage.com.au/photogalle...-cup-2012-20121024-28560.html?selectedImage=3

http://www.theage.com.au/photogalle...cup-2012-20121024-28560.html?selectedImage=20

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  2. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

^^ saw that today and sent it to everyone I know from gee-long.

3. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

4. JRolley

JRolley Well-Known Member

Which of these would you gentlemen prefer with a navy suit, white shirt

Maroon Grenadine

[​IMG]

Silver/Navy Glencheck

[​IMG]

5. jmills

jmills Senior member

Either of those ties will serve you well. I have a secret love for the glen check; look what I just turned up from the beginning of this year with a quick google (it's CW, note the tie he's wearing):

[​IMG]

6. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

The red tie and navy suit is just so classical - in my opinion anyway. It looks so good.

However, every Tom, Dick and Harry is wearing it. So maybe the Silver is the winner?

7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Funny you should post this as I actually had the maroon grenadine on yesterday with a white shirt (charcoal suit though). With a navy suit and white shirt it's a bit "politician" for me, but that could just be because I live in Canberra.... Anyway I think the silver works best with a white shirt out of the too, and the maroon is better matched with a blue shirt. There is an image of me somewhere wearing the silver with white shirt navy suit, i'll see if I can dig it up.

8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

fxh

Just to point out Face Furniture underwent a major change in the early 1980 when the better living by design crowd moved into the spectacle market. It suddenly became 'Very Cool' to make a spectacle of yourself in designer eyewear. Quote 'For most of their history, eyeglasses were seen as unfashionable, and carried several potentially negative connotations.' All of a sudden spectacles were uber cool the more obscure the designer the more cultural capital (see Bourdieu) you had. I used to wear the same style of frames for over ten years in my case they were ENHS or as I knew them as 'Ripleys' then Thomas Dobly popularised them with the urbane inner city Face set them and and that was the end of that.

Like most things in life spectacles are a fashion accessory or for some of us a sartorial staple they are apart and parcel of defining who and what you are, they state your style as your frames are loaded with social signifiers of class and cultural capital.

The worst thing about this shift is the fact that companies now change their designs as quickly as they change their underwear and if you happen to damage a pair your fucked. I used to wear Anglo American frames from the early 90 to about 94 but my son as a baby had a predilection for head butting me right on the temple arm resulting in an order to the UK to get a replacement and it took at least six weeks in those days.

I have had the same problem with a pair of Emanuel Ungaro frames the temple arm broke and I could not get it replaced. Why because they only produce a limited number of frames of each model and for the most part don't have replacement stock. In todays ever disposable market spectacles are just another item in a catalogue which has a limited market lifespan. As far as the designer brands are concerned.

Wearing spectacles is all about personal style 'damn those hipsters' hence those wankers who wear large black frames without lenses. The first time i saw this I burst out laughing and had to leave the shop I was in.

And on other sartorial matters I have been informed that my W H Taylor shirt is on its way I ordered a slim fit as opposed to a regular, as I have been informed that the regular was more akin to the tent like proportions of BB Traditional it was part of their shirt of the month deal, just a plain white poplin for work. Well post an appraisal when it arrives.

9. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

10. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Usually when I visit Canberra, Jas, I see a lot of people wearing full tracksuits out and about. LOL :D

11. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Wearing glasses without lenses. People obviously have deep seated psychological issues about wanting to look like a clown.

12. thebrownman

13. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Thankfully, I've never noticed this before, hence my surprise when it was mentioned in this thread.

Here is a timely article from the Fairfax website - "Offending the hipster male".

Amusingly, one of the first comments on the article is rather on-topic: "I wish I could read this article...but alas my glasses have no lenses."

14. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

not a fan of the maroon, glencheck infinitely better.

EDIT: The Drake's one here is nice - tad more definition

[​IMG]

Otherwise vanda has some great options too

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. thebrownman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.