Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

The usual recommendation for eye examinations is around 2 years.

These examinations are effectively free as most places bulk bill (in the anticipation of selling you overpriced frames) they are obliged to give you the prescription if you ask - so that you may go elsewhere or nowhere. They should at the same time exam you for eye diseases**, some of which can make you lose your sight ( loosing eyesight is second only to cancer as the biggest health fear) . Glaucoma is one of the most common but there are others such as macular degeneration (smoking is a risk factor) and such. Sadly optometrists track record on detecting these isn't as good as it should be but it is improving.

If you have anything other than "normal" deterioration you should really see an ophthalmologist.

On Laser surgery - despite glowing testimonials , a stock in trade of clairvoyants, naturopaths, homeopathy, financial advisors, HK tailors and spiritualists, the evidence on the long term effectiveness and superiority over other methods, of laser surgery is not yet convincing. Thats why it isn't taxpayer funded. (Firman - you don't see testimonials of all the people who had expensive laser surgery that after 3 - 6 months reverted to previous problems)

NB: People who have diabetes are at a considerably increased risk of losing their sight (amongst other things)

At the risk of pointing out the bleeding obvious - and bolstered by the fact that we are discussing this on a fashion forum - sadly eyeglasses have been transformed by marketing (and primarily Luxottica) into a retail fashion item rather than a health care item. This is what has supported the crazy prices and the crowding out of health care issues. Thankfully there is a small but growing movement amongst optometrists to revert to a health care orientation.

Back to the costs: Ms fxh gets two pair of swishy fashion glasses each year we go to Taiwan - for around $80 the two. She either takes the latest script or just gets the glasses scanned at the glasses shop. The next day they are fitted. Me, not having a cute asian nose, to put it kindly, I can't get glasses in Taiwan. I have about 5 pair of bifocals, the best - really - is an expensive pair of Silhouettes - rimless light as a feather, I also have 2 pair of generic cheapies from my great optometrists, lightweight and thin metal that I wear most days, and some Shuron tortoiseshell Revelations with clip on sunnies plus a few pair of readers and a pair of look overs now confined to "boys" outdoor jobs.

Edit: ** I should add that even if you are a younger fucker who thinks they are bullet proof you should get a "free" eye exam every now and then. Most , not all, eye diseases can now be well controlled if detected early. One of my mates went blind at 22 from glaucoma undetected. Even brown cordovan meerkat double monks (or camo driving slippers - hi rompy), worn sockless don't make up for being blind.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

2. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

fxh, stop showing your age. The problem with 'young fuckers' nowadays is not getting them to the optometrist for an eye test, it's working out whether those frames they wear are prescription or simply for the sake of appearance..

3. sliq

sliq Senior member

it makes me cringe when i see people wearing large thick frames without lens [​IMG]

4. thebrownman

Same. A girl at my work does it.

:brick:

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Are they literally just wearing the frames without any lenses, or do they have clear, non-prescription lenses fitted?

If it's the former, you should walk up to them and poke them in the eye through the empty frame!

6. thebrownman

I've encountered both varieties. The girl at my work wears frames with no lenses in them at all. She said she'll have some clear non-rx lenses fitted. Problem with this is that most people who do this get cheap reflective lenses and so you can still tell their glasses are fake (or that they were too cheapskate to pay for anti-reflective coating, lol). I see this one a lot, too.

Once in DJs, a sales assistant asked me where I bought my frames from and we got chatting and I asked, "So you're wearing contacts today?" and he said, "No.." and then I asked why he needed the glasses, and he said "I just want to wear glasses.."

I actually think it may be very common nowadays to just wear glasses for the sake of it. If only it were like that when I was at school, fucking Danny Hughes giving me shit for being "four eyes"..

7. drebin

drebin Well-Known Member

Such a great pocket square.

8. sliq

sliq Senior member

the former.

9. elvish

elvish Senior member

not that you're holding onto the past or anything...

blame the NBA - watch any of the post match interviews and the players will be wearing C+G, moscot, etc without lenses... it started as a joke and then more stars began taking it on.

10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Thank you very much, gentlemen!

11. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Boss wore a khaki linen suit today with patch pockets. I think I have officially been out-styled in my workplace.

12. thebrownman

Blame the NBA for nothing. Horace Grant in his swimming goggle style wraparound glasses. Champion.

13. fxh

fxh Senior member

brownie

Tell me what that Danny Hughes is up to now, or get his linkedin or facebook info, and I'll get my "mates" to put the frighteners on him - while they are wearing glasses.

Give him nightmares for years whenever he sees someone with glasses.

I've had pretty bloody good success with payback and school bullies. Although to be truthful most of them are pretty washed up and pathetic whenever I've seen them in later years.

14. jmills

jmills Senior member

I've seen most of my school bullies since about 17 or so, and usually they've been lugging kids around the local shops...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.