1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romp

Romp Senior member

These Vass are sick - i still want to get a pair - any tips on sizing/lasts? (I feel overwhelmed reading through the vass thread)
    I saw a stat yesterday that in the UK 50% of online goods are returned. I know suitsupply is about 30-40% and iconic and ASOS are about 40% too. At Owen & James our return rate is sub 5% luckily because we dont charge shipping on the exchanged goods and for an international order I lose money sometimes

So based on those odds there is a good chance the goods you buy have been tried on and shipped around the world a few times by the time you get it.

But re:paypal - im pretty sure if I refund somebody, the paypal fees are reversed! so the $30 charge is a blatant rort imo. Jase can you confirm this is the case?

Not many Lapo's in Aus to buy a skinny camo tie:)

2. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Mate I'm not sure actually, prob is the case if you refund from the same purchase in paypal, but if you just sent someone a refund not linked to the purchase it wouldn't work. But I do bugger all refunds so I've not noticed, one of the joys of selling ties, they don't need to be tried on!

3. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

For anyone looking to do a bit of shopping in Melbourne CBD both Henry Bucks and MJ Bale have sales starting tomorrow.

4. hdbvcSHJDBC

hdbvcSHJDBC New Member

Yeah I was at DFO the other day and was so surprised to see an Ermenegildo Zegna store there, it was AMAZING! They had such a good selection of stock from E Zegna, Zegna sport and Z Zegna and although it was an outlet, the stock was only around a season old and at 60% off! i couldn't believe it! Plus the store looks amazing!! you can't even tell its an outlet store. The staff there are so helpful and friendly, i will deffinitely be going back there soon.

5. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Yup, first to comment is my morning coffee barista. On the street, many looks, some stares even. As far as I can tell today, I am the only one sporting ruby colored shoes.

PoP, thanks again. I could have gotten a belt in the same color in calf, but I had the same concern about it looking funny on my waist. I reckon something in cordovan/burgundy/oxblood will suffice. Any suggestions?

6. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

I have reddy - burgundy loake strands (wearing today). These get seriously weird looks from people on the street multiple times per day. Ruby shell would be like these x 10.

7. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

They tend to have a better sense of colour - I mean, who else can really tell the 1237513 different shades of red nail polish or lipstick apart?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  8. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Haha I saw some graphic once showing how the human eye could not actually tell the difference between some of Revlon's different shades of red.

9. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

I am still confused. I have a pair in U-Last and a pair in F-last. Still can't really tell the difference. The U-last pair is actually for sale (see signature)

10. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Any wife/gf/mistress, if the lipstick is on the collar of their men's shirts....[​IMG]

11. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Get rid of belt loops altogether - saves money on buying belts, and saves time in the morning trying to match belt with shoes [​IMG]

12. Romp

Romp Senior member

speaking of belts - i want a mahogany and a black leather belt on double O rings - anyone spotted good options?

Also cant remember who had the RL tie - ive got the reverse colours as below.

[​IMG]

13. eightace

eightace Senior member

Cheers PoP.

Re. the customer service, actually, I found it to be mainly pretty good. Initially, I got in touch during a sale (St. Pat's day, FYI) to get some sizing advice, and Robin, the boss, and I went back and forth with photos and measurements and by the time he recommended a size, the sale was over. However, he gave me the discount anyway and a promise that if he got the sizing wrong, he would pay for return shipping. You can't argue with that.

As I said, there were a few production problems (yes, they're made by the company itself), so there was quite a delay. In an ideal world, they could probably have been a bit more proactive in letting me know the situation as it developed, but they were very helpful and replied to my enquiries very quickly. There were, on the other hand, a couple of administrative stuff-ups at the end that could have been avoided, but on the whole, no great dramas.

In the end, the product is not quite C&J or Church's, but bloody close. And, as you say, quite unique.

Re. the 'V', I didn't really do them up properly, so it's probably not as pronounced as it looks in the photo.

Looking forward to knock-off, so I can pick them up from Brice's. I might even wear them out of there, so feel free to stop me in the street this afternoon and compliment my shoes if you wish. I'll be the one strutting down Market St. [​IMG]

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I think that the U-last and the F-last differ most in the toe, as the F-last has a more rounded (although still quite sleek) toe, whereas the U-last has a very chiselled toe. The U-last also seems to be a bit narrower than the F-last.

The general advice - which of course differs in application from individual to individual - is that you can take the same size in the F-last, but that you should go up by a half-size or even a full-size in the U-last, despite its reasonably lengthy, chiselled toe.

On a different subject, I was browing Ethan's "Rugged Old Salt" blog last night, as I like to do from time to time, and I came across one of his lovely, philosophical posts - click here. I must admit that, whilst his photography is great (and Ethan has a very good eye for composition), I really enjoy his more thoughtful, philosophical posts about life, style, the development of individual taste and so on.

15. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

nabilmust Do you forgo belt loops even on odd trousers?

16. Romp

Romp Senior member

i do .. or id just not wear a belt with belt loops if its casual odd trousers

17. jmills

jmills Senior member

I have a pair of those, and I'm a bit surprised at that! Since they're a dark burgundy, I wouldn't have thought they would stand out that much, or really attract any attention.

18. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

----

19. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Yup, I pretty much don't have belt loops on almost all my trousers, except the very few that are OTR.

I have to get trousers made because nothing fits me OTR, and too many alterations just ruin the look of the trousers.

20. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

That, and why get OTR when you can afford to get something made for you [​IMG]

Guys, what are you doing for your lady friends next week? DB, what do you have in mind?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.