1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Cheers. How did you find dealing with Leather Soul and (sneaking in another sneaky question that could probably be answered with a bit of research) how's the sizing with these more casual Aldens?

2. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

I wouldn't be able to.

I think this was KW's very early collection (and probably hasn't sold since then). We all start out with slightly unwise choices. His new art collection pocket squares are interesting. Very Rubinacci-esque.

3. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Today's outfit.

Deets:
    Massimo Dutti sportscoat
    Marcs shirt
    Thomas Pink PS
    RL chino
    Carmina rubyshell

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  4. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Well there are a few issues:

1) Letting out the waist seems fine, but the thighs were pretty tight (like, tights tight)
    2) I'm sure there are good alterations here, but I'd just need to ask
    3) If the alterations don't work out, then I basically am out more money then the return shipping (assuming $40 for return shipping and $50 for alterations)

Honestly, I think I'll just play it safe this time around.

If anyone's getting anything Epaulet in the next week, let me know and we can save on shipping by lots.

:)

5. drew959

drew959 Member

I ordered a suit from Kent Wang online and it was posted 3 or 4 weeks later as it was with another customer. Took another 3 weeks to arrive. Suit was way too big (this is partly my fault but KW not very good at communicating which made it harder - typical responses from KW were barely more than a few lines) and it reeked.

Sent it back and asked for a refund. He offered gift vouchers a refund less paypal fees of $30. He referred me to his policy of deducting paypal fees when an item is returned 30 days from the shipping date and it was my decision to return it. Was not impressed.

The suit construction itself was ok but for the money its probably better to go MTM locally unless you are sure of your measurements and how the suit finish should be. I would not recommend KW for your first MTM venture.

6. joiji

joiji Senior member

7. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

God damn those Alden chukkas are sexy. Probably my grail shoe items.

8. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Thanks joiji.

9. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

What the ****!!

I doubt Froning is a juice head, but if he was, why would he take dbol? Shin pumps...

10. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

11. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Doesn't look bad. But I have to say that pocket square is about as out of place as fxh at a One Direction concert.

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

They look like lovely shoes, but - at the risk of being a party-pooper - I note that the "v" between the laces is quite wide. This is a reasonably subjective thing, as some people don't mind a wide "v", whereas other people are very bothered by it and like to have a "v" that is closed or nearly closed. Also, of course, it must be remembered that leather stretches and so hopefully the "v" will close up a bit after the shoes have had some wear. Ideally, however, a well-fitting pair of balmoral/oxford shoes will have a fairly narrow "v". The main reason for such a wide "v" in the laces is that the person wearing them has a high instep, or that the shoe itself is very flat in design. I've had a similar problem with some shoes in the past, and I discovered that I can't wear Allen-Edmonds, particularly the 5 last, as the top of the shoe is simply too flat. When I tried a pair of Park Avenues, the "v" was horrendously wide and when I tried lacing them up, it felt like my feet were being squeezed in a vice. Some brands, and some lasts, are much better for people for people with higher insteps than others. US-made shoes tend to be bad, whereas (as a generalisation) Italian brands tend to make shoes with higher insteps. Some English brands and lasts are good, others not so much. For example, I've found that C&Js 348 last isn't so good, but the 337 last is better in my experience, bearing in mind that everyone has differently shaped feet. I've found the Edward Green 202 and (related) 606 last to be good, as they are quite roomy and have a reasonable amount of space over the top of the foot. Changing the lacing pattern can also help people with higher insteps - I use "straight bar" lacing on my shoes and it does help to make them more comfortable over the top of my foot.

13. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Shirt is what lets this down (and perhaps pocket square). A plain coloured shirt would work alot better (though I would tend to suggest to only ever wear a plain shirt). Shoes are of course beautiful, but is that a black belt you're wearing with them?

14. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Booked flights to NYC. Going in September for fashion week.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Thanks for the comments. Belt is dark brown, best I could do with my meager belt collection. No belt looks even worse IMO. Wife nearly insisted I change shirts this morning, but I was in a hurry. Shows that it pays to listen to the missus. Baby blue shirt next time.

16. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Excellent!

Remember to dress outrageously and to include things such as sockless shoes, a camo blazer, a tie with the back much longer than the front, a leather thong hanging from your lapel buttonhole down into your breast pocket, a floppy hat, high-water trousers or other such #menswear memes in your outfit.

Best of luck, and I hope to see you in the pages of the Sartorialist's blog! :)

17. Prince of Paisley

My opinion is that, yes ideally, a fully closed "v" is preferable, but essentially the beauty of laced shoes is the flexibility (up to a point) of fit they give in this area. Having a wider v in the laces is probably less of a concern than if your toes are being crushed in the point of the shoe, or conversely if there is a big gap between the heel of the shoe and your heel - such problems have a much smaller margin for error and a few mm either way can mean the difference between comfortable shoes and being crippled. A wider v is usually an aesthetic (rather than a painful physical) price you may have to pay for ordering shoes online...

I also agree with you, the roominess of the vamp area varies widely across English lasts. The Church's / Cheaney last 73 is even smaller than the C&J 348/358 around the instep, so it may be adviseable for some men to go for a G fitting as their default in these lasts, if available.

18. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Ah, must just have been lighting. It would be difficult to find a match for those coloured shoes, but I'm sure it would be available. Unlikely to find one in cordovan though, but I don't think it's critical to have an exact match. Get many compliments on your shoes?

Haha about the missus. I normally completely ignore what she says, except when it comes to colour matching. Women seem to on average be much better at that than men. Same with my mother.

19. Prince of Paisley

I don't ascribe to the "rule" that your belt always must match your shoes. Yes, it's a good idea 99% of the time, but you may have trouble finding a ruby red belt, and if you do it will just draw attention to your waistline rather than unobtrusively doing its job of holding your pants up, as a belt should.

So trying to pick up the colour of your SC (on my monitor it looks like charcoal and a black belt) is not a bad alternative. Hence I didn't comment on the belt/shoes not matching as the pocket square is the real imposter in your outfit.

As for your shirt, maybe wear it with jeans but a light blue would probably be better with those chinos/shoes.

20. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Speaking of Camo, a browse through Country Road last week saw a camo tie in stock about 6cm wide. Don't think it will be a big seller myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.