1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Eh, that is a bit doctrinaire for mine. I think a higher button stance would look more balanced in your case.

1 person likes this.
  2. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

And when you do that, remember that your trousers need to sit higher too, to preserve the line / flow from the jacket to the trousers.

Also, Prof - (and these are very rough observations, so I will stand corrected) you sure your button stance is on your natural waistline? That might make your trousers sit halfway down your rear rather low.

The waist suppression looks like the jacket is at the natural waist - which might mean that you can afford to wear your trousers almost 2 inches higher. Might add to the balance.

3. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Poor Prof being poked and prodded.

4. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

He works in 'Management Consulting': he is use to the idea of people coming along, drawing nice diagrams, and telling everyone how the business should be run :). Salt in the wounds.

5. boff

boff Senior member

Excellent advice. If I may be so bold, I would recommend a one time only going over with a bottle of Saphir Reno'Mat Leather Cleaner before you start. This will clean off any gunk (e.g. silicon) before you start your Saphir regime. Use a separate clean cotton cloth for the job.

6. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Has anyone been watching House of Lies? I hear Don Cheadle is killing it in the show... about management consultants lol

7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yep, love it. Just wish it was on more.

8. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Button stance is about 1.5-2" above my real natural waistline (aka belly button). Pants are sitting .5cm below belly button. However they were made too short and the hems have been let down as much as possible, so I have to wear them a little lower than usual. Not a big fan of the flood pant look. Still, not bad for a $279 suit.

HoL is more truth than I care to admit lol.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Not always. Reno'Mat is fine for some shoes, not good for others - it depends on the method used to dye the leather.

As an example, I believe that C&J does not recommend the use of Reno'Mat for its shoes, as it could strip off the finish and change the colour.

10. boff

boff Senior member

I stand corrected, thank you. I've only ever used it on Barkers, Loakes and AE's.

11. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

Incredibly helpful post, thank you. I'll start building up in these products/items mentioned. I'm guessing 'appropriate brown" wax and cream polish relates to a colour similar to the shoe being worked on?

12. Romp

Romp Senior member

Just ordered some 3sixteen SL-100x from Blue Owl - service has been great. Free chainstitching and free delivery - so ive gone with 32w and shortened to 35length as I like to roll :)

Lets hope I can button these up!

If they work out I might get some in shadow too

13. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

I stand corrected.

You are a very tall man, sir. With a very long torso. Might be worth thinking about a 3-roll-2.

(But great value for the suit! And the tie is very very nice.)

14. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

15. Manuhiri

Manuhiri Well-Known Member

Yep. You can go darker but I try to match as closely as possible. I find the best place to order is from A Fine Pair of Shoes. I received a shipment last week.

[​IMG]

16. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Yes I believe aniline dyed leathers are susceptible to being stripped if you use leather renovator, though any experts out there might have more specific details about why this happens. Always test in an inconspicuous spot first, and see if any dye comes out on your cloth as you apply. If symptoms persist, see a cobbler.

17. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

If anyone buys Samuari, Sugarcane, Flathead or Buzz and knows their size etc please consider these guys in SA - www.righthanddistribution.com

A tad more pricey than some online places, but still pretty competitive. Andy also has a chain stitch machine down there.

I'll be sending down my Stevenson Overall Cos after I soak them

18. Romp

Romp Senior member

saw these guys on GW's blog - pretty nice find

19. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

This is pretty good dietary advice - close to what my dietitian recommended when I was diagnosed with diabetes. I lost 25kg in 10 months following a similar regime, with no need for gym work or really feeling like I was depriving myself much at all. Exercise consisted of following the 10,000 steps program, plus bike riding twice a week.

The other thing I was told (in my case to manage glucose spikes) is to spread eating through the day. I eat at 6:30, 10, 12, 4, 7 and 10pm. 10, 4 and 10 are for snacky things like fruit, trail mix and/or cheese ,and the 3 meals are medium serves - you don't feel like eating more than that.

You can substitute some things in your favourite foods to make a low GI diet - for example, you can always make risotto with barley instead of rice or roast sweet potatoes instead of spuds. I even found that trashing my diet once a week did no real harm. 80% compliance is good enough. Apart from the weight loss, I brought my blood sugar levels down from 11.5 to 4.8, so this really works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.