• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilmour

Reaction score
I probably won't delve into MJ suits yet. I am going to stay with Elite for the time being - his suits are really starting to grow on me.

Michael when you say suits do you have more that one from Elite and what tailoring did you go for ??

I am still waiting for mine to arrive, I am not complaining as I know it is going to take a while as I went for Royalty & Rockstar tailoring.

Robert Meredith

Reaction score
^^ No no no, I wish - maybe one day - just an associate for now! Sorry, did not mean to claim such auspicious titles.

Congrats, I think JA is one of the best grad jobs you can get, especially if you're interested in the bar. Better money than most other grad positions too, at least it is here (Tas).

I went straight to the Bar fwiw. Wasn't easy (especially the first 12 months), but it's getting better.

^^Gilmour, still waiting on my first (/2) from Elite too (think we ordered around the same time). I was pretty slow in getting my measurements to them though, and had to redo them.

Last edited:

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks - yeah the salary is not what I could get elsewhere, but the other benefits (two months leave, leaving at around 5 or earlier most days - gogo public service) are pretty damn appealing. Plus its what I am interested in so anything else is a secondary consideration.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ No no no, I wish - maybe one day - just an associate for now! Sorry, did not mean to claim such auspicious titles.

i had an appeal on last week where the associate to the judge was the late Paul Byrne SC's son. such a small world.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any one here wear any of these and would like to comment upon fit compared to a Church or RM Craftsman?

Carmina lasts
Inca - Widest last and waist for wide feet (EE width)
Rain - Like the Inca but with a chisel toe (EE width)
Soller - A boot last like Robert, fits like a double E.

deingesicht

Reaction score
Earlier in the week, I pulled the trigger on a beautiful pair of Carmina burgundy codovan shoes in the Forrest last
smile.gif

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any one here wear any of these and would like to comment upon fit compared to a Church or RM Craftsman?
Carmina lasts

Gerry Nelson could be your man. He has both RMs and Carmina in Simpson and Inca lasts.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Earlier in the week, I pulled the trigger on a beautiful pair of Carmina burgundy codovan shoes in the Forrest last :)

Nice! Show us photos when they arrive :)

Actually, wear them hard and then buff like crazy with a horsehair brush. I prefer the look of well-worn and maintained cordovan over new. Could just be me?

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks - yeah the salary is not what I could get elsewhere, but the other benefits (two months leave, leaving at around 5 or earlier most days - gogo public service) are pretty damn appealing. Plus its what I am interested in so anything else is a secondary consideration.

+1.

It's excellent experience, particularly if you are at all interested in going to the public or private bar. You get to know judges and court staff, you get to know barristers and solicitors, you get to write/edit decisions and do lots of research, and you get to learn how the courts work from the inside out.

I'm sure that you know this already, but make sure that you do as much networking as is humanly possible over the next twelve months!

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carmina lasts

To give you some context to this:
My feet are on the border of medium and wide with an overall more blunt shape than tapered (large toe doesn't extend that far beyond the little toe compared to some people) and a slightly narrower heel. My shoe size varies between 9.5 and 10 depending on the shoe. I wear the Comfort Craftsman (black and chestnut) boots in a size 10 and the Carmina Inca and Rain lasts in a 9.5. Funnily enough, the black pair of RMs feel more snug all round my feet compared to the chestnut so there's some variation even within the same model.

The Inca and Rain lasts feel very very similar to my feet (I have a cordovan wholecut on the Rain and calf doublemonks on the Inca). The Rain perhaps feels a touch more snug but nothing particularly noticable. Strangely enough, the Forest last also feels very similar to the Inca and Rain. Definitely not a very noticeable width change.

To summarise, the RMs, Rain and Inca last all feel similarly wide with the RMs being a touch shorter and narrower - certainly nothing that would cause any discomfort to me. I haven't got any experience with the Soller last.

Strangely enough, today I'm wearing a pair of suede loafer on the Simpson in a UK9.5 as well. I would ordinarily go up half a size in this last for anything other than suede as it's the narrowest of the Carmina shoes I own but the suede will stretch. Still, they feel tightest around the width and slightly loose around the heel.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there's anything specific I can help you with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads