1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aKula

aKula Senior member

Us Princeton Law graduates (same year as Conne) can afford such things.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  2. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

Cream silk. He hates white linen and uses cream silk in the same way.

3. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Who here has had OTR double-cuffed shirts converted to button cuff without a new cuff being made from new fabric? I.e. You've had to use whatever's there for the new cuff.

4. burnso

burnso Senior member

One and the same it appears?
    Both my topyd shoes have 'Ausy' in some spots, and 'Topy' in others, on the same strip of rubber...

5. sliq

sliq Senior member

i get mine done at parramatta since i work out that way. close to the station there's a Hungry Jacks. Behind the hungry jacks is an arcade. Inside the arcade there is a cobbler named Simon.

6. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Coombs at Strand Arcade and Brices on Castlereagh are old establishments worth trying. I do mine at Kev's Shoe Repairs in the Telstra building on Pitt Street near World Square. My wife used a cobbler in Cronulla who also did a decent job on some of her boots.

7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Code:

Yes sorry this is the 4th time in 3 weeks it's crashed, it's seriously giving me the shits to say the least, especially when I'm powerless to do anything about it until the it gets back to me. Hopefully will be back up directly.

8. Nicholas D C

Nicholas D C Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I think Coombs will be closest to my workplace so I'll give them a go. Would I be looking at $30 or so per pair?

9. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

You'd be looking at $45 to $50 per pair.

As I have said before, the Cobbler's Association have banded together on the pricing of Topy in Sydney.

10. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

In Melbourne, IIRC Rekaris was the cheapest @ $35. Not sure of the exact thickness of their topy, though :satisfied:

11. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Call it a Topy and it's a chunky piece of rubber suffocating your delicate leather shoes; add "Élysée" to the name and it's the latest stylish addition to your bog standard clodhoppers, allowing you to safely navigate French cobblestones while puffing on your Gauloises and having your photo blogged leaning on a fixie... It's all in the marketing you see :laugh:

FWIW, I think Topyd shoes can look as well, if not better, than the original leather soles - if done properly. Not to mention the obvious longevity benefits already discussed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't topy all my shoes straight away though, I usually wait until it's time to get the first heel replacement done at the same time.

12. Romp

Romp Senior member

You considered one of the other ecommerce platforms such as shopify, big commerce or big cartel?

13. Romp

Romp Senior member

Edit double post

14. quar

quar Senior member

GY are now more expensive than WWC. WWC charged me 1500 for a 2PC from the JJ Minnis Fresco II Book. GY quoted 1800 last time I saw him. He made some CMT Trousers for me at 300 / Pair. His trousers start at 600 for Basic English Cloth. WWC have superior finishing in my opinion. But GY will do CMT.

15. Nicholas D C

Nicholas D C Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, will be popping down to Coombs tomorrow I think.

As an aside, Ralph Lauren has got some new stock in this week - I was at the Chatswood Chase store a couple days ago, and they had some beautiful mid-grey and khaki-esque wool trousers in stock. Their knits are wonderfully soft and comfortable as well, although I'm a tad afraid of the price tags. During the sale they had 60% off some cashmere jumpers, but unfortunately by the time I came back they were gone :(.

16. quar

quar Senior member

Orazio Luciano or "PJ Napoli" is twice the price of the Hand-Finished PJ Product and WWC. It is a whole different kettle of fish though. It makes my "soft" WWC gear feel like armour.

17. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

it's not so much an ecommerce issue, but a Wordpress one stemming from an attempt of someone trying to get in to the site admin a few weeks ago. Seems like the cause has been found now though and it's back up, hopefully for good.

The ecommerce is with PayPal but I am going to look at changing that in the future too to a different system.

18. sliq

sliq Senior member

try the birkenhead point outlet. sometimes you can pick up a steal. i found a blue label charcoal wool suit.. everything was perfect... $1,400 with 70% off.. only to find some jack ass had knicked the trousers. tried calling around other shops to match it but couldn't so i gave up. on the bright side i did pick up a bold purple knit tie from them for $30.

19. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

I like to Topy my shoes... Makes it safer when you stomp kick dissenting, whiskey-swilling iGents in the groin or liver. Also, I think it may afford some spring-like capability when you follow up with a knee spike to the face.

Seriously though, now that all my shoes are showing distinct wear from years of abuse, I've had most topied and intend to Topy the last three pairs. Exception: Had the suede Pooles topied upon purchase as I knew I'd be wearing them often while traveling.

1 person likes this.
  20. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

You should never buy Ralph Lauren at full price - even the sweaters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.