1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Even though t/ville wasn't affected they still are because there was about 2 days where the road between NSW and QLD was closed off, creating this huge backlog of mail/goods. We use startrack a lot at the day job and they are outsourcing their deliveries at the moment to delfast to catch up.

2. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Thanks, Pink Socks, TBM, Rob, and everyone else!

Ernesto - working on it.

lachyzee - I've been experimenting with a couple of different options on monogramming. I've stuck to the left rib-cage area. Some shirts have very light threading on the monogram, some have a bit more contrast, and I have a pink shirt that has pink threading on it - it looks invisible. I prefer to err on the conservative side, too. But what you see was work-in-progress to get to that decision/realisation. (There are still many things about classic menswear that are work-in-progress.)

The contrast monograms are on more casual shirts,

[​IMG] (and the one you linked)

While the subtle ones are on work-shirts:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Haha Michael, that's my tailor's place in Singapore (and honestly, probably the only true bespoke tailor in Singapore for suits) - only the light blue linen jacket is mine, in mid-commission. Thanks all the same, though!

As for your question, details are in the spoiler below.

[​IMG]

Shirt: Bespoke OCBD from Ascot Chang, in Thomas Mason Silverline. (interestingly, has a monogram in navy blue)
    Jacket: OTR Charles Tyrwhitt in summer tweed, added suede elbow patches (not visible here) myself. (The pattern-matching swept me off my feet)
    PS: Zegna
    Trousers: Uniqlo
    Shoes: Car Shoe

As a side bar, that outfit kinda captures the mix of high-and-low cost items that young guys, starting out, should feel comfortable in: Finding the optimality between price and quality; wearing what fits well and lasts, and not simply wearing labels; not dropping wads of cash (worse, if it's on credit) on a complete bespoke wardrobe just because.. it's 'bespoke'. I was 27 in that picture, I didn't 'need' a bespoke pair of white cotton chinos then, and I still don't.

Almost forgot, lachyzee - used to be a lawyer in Singapore, moved to Sydney and almost applied to work for PJ, but stuck to the Law.

Jaz - thank you and will do, as and when appropriate. The recent debate on menswear 'rules' got me thinking a little. Still deciding if I should save it for the memoirs lol

3. wishiwasricher

wishiwasricher Senior member

Just took ownership of my first set of Henry Carter ties!! Exceeds expectations and even a nice hand written note. I'm are you'll be in business for many years to come Jas!!

4. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Unlike a lot of members I don't get my shoes Topy'd as soon as I get them. I now have a few pairs where I have worn down the heel almost to the second 'layer', so one by one I'm getting a new (rubber) layer on the heel put on and a Topy on the sole. Seems to work fine, it's cheap and as far as I know, you can keep replacing the heel/Topy indefinitely?

5. fox81

fox81 Senior member

yes, just do this. theyre the only place that can properly resole a goodyear welted shoe in australia, although the guys from beggar man thief claimed they can too.
    otherwise have a chat to double monk on smith st. they said they were going to offer some resole/refurb options, but if they involve going back to the factory, then youre paying a lot more than i did.

Oh, and please dont topy your shoe. if you wanted a rubber soled shoe to begin with, then why didnt you just buy one.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  6. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Agreed. Oh damn, no sorry, let's not start that one again.

7. Romp

Romp Senior member

THIS!

I got torn apart for bad-mouthing topy when i first joined this forum but ive ruined shoes by topying them. Everyone needs a pair of rubber soles for rainy days so get some! dainite on the carminas etc .. plus they are comfy:)

8. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Not the topy debate. Please. Not again.

Well, after looking at nabil's tumblr and a few others during the course of the day I'm feeling totally sartorially inadequate yet again.

9. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

What about those of us that walk a lot to and from and around work, on concrete and asphalt and gravel, etc?

How does a leather sole hold up then?

(Really not sure, but I wore through one leather sole in about 6 months, and it never rains here - topy is $16 per shoe, resole was about $70)

10. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

I don't want to debate it again either, but just I don't understand how non-topyers get any grip on those slick bluestones of melbourne CBD.

With the slightest mist of rain they are like ice. Polished floors in foyer are a danger as well.

11. fox81

fox81 Senior member

a) i thought you only had dirt roads up there
    b) i do it all day every day. maybe you need more shoes in your rotation?

12. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

To what extent do you guys feel that what is acceptable here is different from what is acceptable in places like the USA, UK, etc?

Sometimes I feel that the recommendations/outfits are baggy and a bit too old man for a lot of Australians (and that Australains take a bit more from Italians). Sometimes I feel ignorant, stupid, wrong and blind.

What do you think?

13. jmills

jmills Senior member

I must admit I went skating down a stretch of CBD pavement in the pictured pair of C&Js once, in dry weather. I managed to put my arms out and keep my balance, but it was still really embarrassing.

That said I still mostly prefer leather. Isn't bad weather just a cue to break out the RMWs or dainite soled pairs?

14. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

a) The times: they are a changing
    b) Maybe - but that doesn't really address the issue (ie, if the soles will wear out anyway, and the topy avoids that by being cheaper and less intrusive what's the issue?)

15. fox81

fox81 Senior member

the latter

16. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Directly from the National Organisation for Topying (NOT) website - "Topys. They are personal choice. Take them (for about $45) or leave them. If you want opinions of others on this, please search Style Forum's Australian Members thread. If you would like to add an opinion on Topying, please start a new thread or yell it to a stranger in the street."

17. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

For those that own an iPad, do you have a black one or a white one?

18. Manuhiri

Manuhiri Well-Known Member

My contribution (I haven't been here for previous Topy debates but they sound like they were fun).

I am not a fan of topying my best shoes but as I've built a larger rotation of shoes and previous favourites have been relegated to old faithfuls I've topyed a few. For example, today I'm wearing an old pair of Loake Derbys. Basically, I still like them but not enough that I want to spend a lot of money on them. So at the last resole I had Rekaris add a Topy so that they can function as basic beaters.

But I wouldn't topy my handgrade C&Js for sure. But in five years time as I pull on my new John Lobbs...

19. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Elaboration would be appreciated :).

20. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Black...

Ive always thought it was interesting that basically everyone owned a white iPod (to be fair, there wasn't much choice), and I'd say 95% of people own white MacBooks, but white iPads and iPhones seem to me to be as rare as hen's teeth...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.