1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Thank-you. What's the quality like compared to PJs at that $1500 price point? I don't really know how to tell...

2. fox81

fox81 Senior member

well i never ordered a suit from yao, but from what i saw the stuff was nice. there are pros and cons to using this service vs p johnson, but they balance each other out really. if youre comfortable with the fit and quality of p johnson, then you dont need to change.
    if you'd like a bit more flexibility over the design, and perhaps access to different fabrics, then yao is worth considering.
    whilst yao is full bespoke, youre not going to get a fitting unless you tie it in with a trip to hkg. and if you were doing that, you'd have a whole lot of other options to consider.

p johnson is a MTM business and youre constrained to what they can offer you in terms of design. if youre looking for something more, this might be an alternative

3. boff

boff Senior member

I love my Bisonte. I say treat it rough, it can take it. Not speaking from a position of any authority mind you. From memory it takes about 6 months to darken up and wear in.

I'm on my second. It's about 3 years old now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Beautiful.

5. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Foxy, how much were the shirts and what did you think of the outcome?

6. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Prof, have you got your delivery from LE yet? If so how's the fit?

7. fox81

fox81 Senior member

150 each if you ordered 3 or more. i didnt get the collar design right, but otherwise fit was good and well made. they didnt do thick buttons at the time so i dont like those, but they now offer properly thick mop buttons as standard.

there has been no mention of a shirt offer this timea round though

1 person likes this.
  8. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Cheers mate.

9. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Guys just want to give you a heads-up about an online site I found, for fragrances, after shave etc.

They are called onlinebeautybuys, and have storefronts on eBay and Amazon UK. They stock quite a large range of medium and high-end brands at prices as good as any I've found online. Shipping is free world-wide, using Royail Mail International. (eBay shop seems to be cheaper).

For example, I bought a 75ml bottle of L'Instant de Guerlain from them for a tick under $50 shipped. It arrived 5 business days after I placed the order.

Thier feedback on both eBay and Amazon is pretty much 100% across a huge number of transacions, so they would seem to be very reliable.

10. Romp

Romp Senior member

thanks - they only have black buckle on their site - any idea where the physical store is (website has zero info)

11. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Westfield Sydney

12. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Can you give some advice on what fragrances I should be wearing?

I bought some Tommy Hilfiger at a sale from work. It cost $30 and lasts about 20 minutes.

13. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

After about 17 months of wear, I took my Weymouths into Rekaris today to ask his opinion on the condition of the sole. He said I can still Topy them now, for $35. Which means that the sole still has a bit of life left in it (enough to put a Topy on). A half re-sole is $45, and a full re-sole is $120-ish (can't quite remember the exact detail).

Of course, the devil is in the details. He's not sure if the guy in charge of re-stitching (who used to work for RM Williams) can do a channeled-sole shoe.
    Nor is he confident that he can hide the stitching from above, so the sole will be a fraction wider (it will look like a standard Loake or Church sole).
    And of course, he can't get water-resistant oak-bark leather in this country anymore (because the guy who used to make it has gone out of business).

Other options : http://www.goodyearwelted.co.uk - charge 90 pounds for a full resole. I haven't yet dug into the details regarding this operation.

American Tailors will take care of the entire process for me for between $250-$280 which is on par with what C&J New York charge for a full return-to-factory process. Other posts on the forum say the London stores charge about 100 pounds, not including postage.

As I'm not exactly flush with cash at the moment (and I'm hoping to buy a new pair of Chukkas sometime this year) I might just Topy them now, and get them resoled in a few more years.

I've also read (on other threads in this forum) that C&J can only resole your show a finite number of times. They won't offer the service for a shoe that has already had two resoles.

Any other thoughts on the matter are appreciated :)

14. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

It might also be worth investigating MacLeods. I know they offer some sort of resoling service, but I'm not sure of the quality.

15. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Atelier Cologne.

I cannot rave enough about them.

Orange Sanguine- orange citrus with complex sandalwood base.
    Trefle Pur- fresh green grass with cedarwood base.

Just try the samples first. Man, these are the bees-neez to me.

16. Romp

Romp Senior member

nice i have the same 6 card billfold - mine didnt get as dark as yours though
    i quite like wwchan .. orazio luciano also worth a look at one of the resellers

17. joiji

joiji Senior member

My understanding on the limited resoles is that each time the sole is machine stitched to the welt, a new set of holes is created. Too many sets and your welt doesn't have the integrity to hold the sole any better than a cemented sole. I'd suspect at this point the rib which the welt attaches too is probably stuffed, so stitching a new welt on wouldn't be an option (if there's even a decent repair place in Australia that can do that.). One option is to find a very good local cobbler and have them hand stitch a new sole on, using the same holes, although this is probably both hard to find, and expensive.

In regards to American Tailors vs C&J London, if you like 100 pounds plus shipping both ways, you'd be mighty close to the price that AT is charging. ($80-100 Airmail to the UK, shipping back shouldn't be too bad.)

I wouldn't be too concerned about getting a channelled sole put on them. While it's nice, it's not something that would both me, although YMMV.

About the only other option I can think of is B Nelson in the US. The forum seems to love his work and I'd suspect it'd be cheaper going to the US than the UK.

In regards to topying, it's clearly the easiest and most cost effective option. You extend the life of the shoe without putting more wear on the welt, and you also gain some inclement weather advantage, as well as grip. That said, you lose the leather sole.

18. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Still waiting. Expect it to be here by Tuesday next week. Mail to my office has been really slow lately. Took over 7 days for a letter to reach Adelaide from Townsville (not affect by the floods).

19. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Of all your options, personally I'd send them to the Burlington Arcade store. Then again didn't Fox81 have a pretty good outcome recently with McClouds for around $130ish from memory?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  20. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Oh well, it would be great if you could please keep me posted (either in the main thread or via PM).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.