1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

only averaging down:) obviously only a good strategy when you have high conviction that the true value will be realised above the new average value. If you average down to make your loss "less" its a fools game

yes lower chest/stomach better - not seen with a jacket on

2. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

Hmm some good suggestions above.

I like the idea of a monogram in a subtle colour that blends in with the shirt. If I was going to get one that'd be it. I still can't see myself getting them on business shirts though - maybe casual. I'm sure I've got that the wrong way round though.

I also think the wife's name on wedding shirt is very romantic. Might keep that one in mind :satisfied:

On my luxire business shirts they're on the bottom of the placket, so not visible unless untucked.

On my luxire casual shirts I've had them put in on the inside back, next to the label of the shirt.

3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Only ever had one shirt monogrammed and it had both mine and my wifes initials on it, but not visible. Generally not a big fan of it but then I spent a fair amount of time with no jacket on at work.

Nabil some great looks on your blog, followed. You should post on here more often.

4. Manuhiri

Manuhiri Well-Known Member

I go for the inside of my collar usually. Makes me feel good and isn't showy.

5. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

OK i know ive asked this before but I was going to buy the tanner goods "standard" belt in saddle tan and copper buckle from their site but they want another $65 for shipping. Do you guys know of somewhere else I can cop this belt without sending it first class around the world?

6. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

Hmmm, difficult question to answer. Specifically for share purchase, it depends on the rationale for purchase, as briefly alluded to by Romp. I do stuff the old school way, so this concept has never been a significant factor other than for a quick calculation of cost base. If something is cheap at $1, it is even cheaper at $0.50 cents, assuming no factors have affected valuation in the interim.

Happy to talk further by PM.

7. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

try this http://www.handmadeleatherbelts.co.uk/tanning.html

8. lachyzee

You could try shipito or hopshopgo.

Or just their stockists page http://www.tannergoods.com/pages/stockists#. Or email them and ask which of their stockists they've sent this belt to. They should have records of that sort of thing.

Also, a lot of different retailers make belts in that sort of colour/buckle combination. You could also try one of the custom retailers like Equus or Narasanget.

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Local SF member "Naka" has an MTO belt from Equus Leather (or somewhere very similar) and he seems very happy with it. It looks very nice.

1 person likes this.
  10. Naka

Naka Well-Known Member

I have three belts from Equus, fantastic leather and a decent price. Royal Mail is super fast too, which is an added bonus. I've been meaning to order another one. They have an SF discount code too.
    Don't know how to feel about JM checking out my belt unbeknownst to me :p

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  11. lachyzee

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  12. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

This might be a little cheaper - http://store.capsulestore.com.au/collections/tanner-goods

13. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Just re hats.

I have worn straw hats since the early 80s when I was in the airlines and found walking around Singapore or hot climes led to heatstroke and sunburn.

The result is that I am still free of any melanomas etc and I have lived my life near the beach, on my uncle's farm at Wagga on holidays and generally in the sun.

Anyone that is fairskinned (and/or tonsorially challenged) definitely needs to wear a hat in summer and probably 9 months of the year in places like Sydney IMO.

After turning 55 I found I also became sun intolerant to the point I have to use sun cream nearly every day.

14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Ambergris find...

A man walking his dog has discovered a ‘horrible smelling’ lump of sperm whale vomit thought to be worth around £100,000.

Ken Willman originally paid little attention to the dirty yellow rock his dog Madge dug up as the pair walked along Morecombe’s beach.

However, upon arriving home he says something “triggered my mind” and he looked the substance up on the internet.

On doing so, unemployed Mr Willman discovered the substance is likely to be ambergris - a lump of sperm whale vomit – which is used in perfumes such as Chanel No.5 to amplify the scent.

The lump of vomit is often called ‘floating gold’ and is said to smell like old wood or fungus. It acts as a scent stabiliser when combined with other ingredients, however.

15. zachary12

zachary12 Member

Capsule store in Syd stocks Tanner IIRC. Not sure if it's any cheaper.

16. lachyzee

17. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

Holy crap. Where have you been all my life. None of us knew this. Goddamit I spent ages looking for an alternative to Tanner because of shipping.

But thanks.

18. lachyzee

Tanner actually have 3-4 Aus stockists IIRC - check their stockists list.

I am a Tanner Belt owner, but I think they are overpriced. They have gone up about 30-40% in price over the last few years. A lot of companies make very similar belts for less these days.

19. fox81

fox81 Well-Known Member

i went last year and ordered some shirts. he had a deal going on thomas mason stuff.
    the suit prices were pretty similar to chan, but chan has increased a bit of late so im not sure if yao has done the same.
    $1200 and up. expect $1500 for something half decent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.