• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Ms fxh used to constantly complain that I dressed up all week to go to work and then at nights and weekends dressed down for her. (she NEVER complains when I un - dress for her)

But really - what sort of idiot wants to put on a tie to go out to eat at the local Vietnamese or a fillum at the weekend when most of the other tossers can't be bothered to put on a clean ironed shirt or pants that fit? That level of "dressing up" would qualify one for the AAAC stereotype or half the youthful misogynist septics that post here on SF. (not on the oz threads I hasten to add)

Mate, you are hilarious LOL nevertheless in general Melbourne people are still better dressed than their Sydney compatriots. Have the sophisticated air...

Originally Posted by fxh
Someone was talking about the nouveau / CUBs (cashed up bogans) penchant for ill fitting overpriced brand names in clothes as opposed to the tasteful clobber that us eGents would purchase should we win tatts or **** our way into a fortune through marriage.

As an example I have before me the "Luxury" mag from this Friday's Fin Review.

Page 31 - guy in white pants cross between jeans and chinos, looks like a boot cut bottom or widish, thin strappy sandals, low cut empire line t shirt, and cream leather jacket, very tight fit.

Doesn't look all that bad, in a beach holiday Lorne / Brighton hipster sort of way, but not much more than you might see around occasionally.

Prices? - Got a brown paper bag to stop hyperventilation handy?

Hermes leather Jacket = $14, 850 - thats more than my car is worth and with a lot less leather than my car.
Short sleeved cotton T shirt= $425 - some good floating canvass suits are cheaper on line.
Pants = $1020 - I'd say Rivers pants at $49 look as good.
Belt = $1020 - yes its a fuckin belt!
Sandals = $435

Speechless

This cracks me up
laugh.gif

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Substitute Notting Hill for Double Bay and you're there:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
Dunno... own more than one pair of jeans? I never wear suits on the weekend unless I'm going to a wedding or a funeral. While others may disagree, I personally think you can be overdressed. I go to a barbie at a mates place, it's t shirt and shorts all the way.

t-shirts should be only for wearing under a OCBD in winter or at the gym. Shorts I don't have any nor do I plan on having any. Thongs (rubber flip flops not the things "exotic dancers" wear) I've never owned a pair.

If I did own any of the above I certainly wouldn't wear them anyplace another person might see me.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
LOL! Sounds like me. I've been known to turn up to mate's BBQ wearing my linen suit (no tie though)..whilst they all stand around in T-shirts, shorts and thongs.

So you were the guy with his tie dangling in the Pho the other night.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Tonight we had a big dinner party..an annual event amongst my circle of friends. I had on new sports jacket and linen trousers, they were an assortment of jeans + shirts/T-shirts...I don't care. (To be fair I was planning on wearing jacket + jeans but my 1.5 year old daughter defecated on my jeans during story time..what is a man to do?).

A true iGent would have a nanny to do all the story telling and actual parenting. Be like the Royals and the high flyers - have nannys, cooks cleaners, childcare people so you get to see your kids all cleaned and fed between 6 pm and 7 pm say 3 nights a week - then you can get on with your busy, well dressed, life undisturbed by bodily fluids or creases.

When my kids were that age - I remember I always was paranoid that my left shoulder on suits and jackets smelt of kid spew. It got so it was an olfactory hallucination. At any time during the day at work I could smell my left shoulder and smell vomit.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
t-shirts should be only for wearing under a OCBD in winter or at the gym. Shorts I don't have any nor do I plan on having any. Thongs (rubber flip flops not the things "exotic dancers" wear) I've never owned a pair.

If I did own any of the above I certainly wouldn't wear them anyplace another person might see me.

Do you ever go to the beach fxh? If so, what do you wear?

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh

I'm just praying that this is a gee up

Beach? Sailing/Boating? Pool party? Holidaying at a resort?

preview.jpg

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you ever go to the beach fxh? If so, what do you wear?

If I do go to the beach it will usually be in winter when I wear boots and a warm coat. I love the seaside in winter at night and when its stormy.

In summer I sit inside under a air con.

When kids were little I did occasionally roll up my trousers and paddle barefoot and read a book under an umbrella.

I hate sand between my toes.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
I'm just praying that this is a gee up

Beach? Sailing/Boating? Pool party? Holidaying at a resort?

Beach - see post below.

Sailing/Boating - you are kidding

Pool Party - you are joking?

Holiday at a resort - c'mon who does that?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
resort- I do that
confused.gif

It's not me - each to their own I guess. Last break away this year I had was to Ballaarat, before that Hobart 4 days, before that Canberra 5 days. Last year I went to Darwin for a week, Amsterdam (and around Netherlands a bit) Scotland, Ireland. Year before Beijing, HK, Taiwan, (go to Taiwan a fair bit). Beach - Ireland - Dingle (raining), Cork - 18c, Scotland, Aberdeen, windy 18c, Netherlands -Rotterdam, Amsterdam - Port Harbour- ships. Apollo Bay - I used to go every year to Music Festival. Two houses I had when kids were little had in ground big pools - good for kids. For a holiday - I need an interesting place, good cheap food, something different, not many tourists (except me of course) libraries, art galleries, music - concerts, architecture, net connection, some booze, good coffee, books, newspapers ..... Flying to a Beach in Thailand to join other Australians in heat, booze and sand, seems like something you can do here anytime and for much less money. I don't do it here I'm not going to fly 10 hours with people in shorts and thongs reading gossip magazines** - en route , comparing tatts and drinking rum and coke... ** Once going to HK a slapper in front of me at newsagent in airport purchased a New Idea or something - and I heard her say: to keep her busy the whole flight!! Now I'm not that much of a snob but sheesh I can read that twice over while waiting in the 8 items or less aisle at the supermarket. edit:: in the first quarter of 2011 - I'll be off to Taiwan/HK for a week or so. I'm hoping to convince "the handbrake" to do two weeks in New Orleans /Louisiana next year just staying around NO, in cabins/caravan parks etc, hire a big old Caddy and drive around Lafayette, NO, Baton Rouge, New Iberia ( Robincheaux) drinking in music , cajun, zydeco, funk, jazz, country and poking around looking at stuff like the Tabasco factory and NO post Katrina. Oh and see the Neville Bros again

truevision

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Last year I went to Darwin for a week, Amsterdam (and around Netherlands a bit) Scotland, Ireland. Year before Beijing, HK, Taiwan, (go to Taiwan a fair bit).

what should i check out in taiwan?

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
young girls in short skirts?

Originally Posted by fxh
a slapper in front of me at newsagent

Originally Posted by fxh
If I do go to the beach it will usually be in winter when I wear boots and a warm coats.

And you have kids?

You are the epitome of creep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads