Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Yes. Alternatively, Gentleman's Notch or Notched Heel, to prevent corner from catching on trouser cuffs, scratching pants or other shoe, etc.

2. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Nice jacket, Tobs.

What to wear with it?

Well... here's a nice point of reference:

http://www.trashness.com/wp-content...lli-men-style-fashion-vespa-italy-italian.jpg

Contrast it with a dark knit (navy, brown, dark green) and a oxford-cloth shirt, maybe one with light, pencil-thin blue stripes on a white ground.

Linen, cotton or gummy madder silk for a PS.

Dark chinos as well (navy, dark brown, gray).

Nothing wrong with denims and no-tie in my opinion.

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Because a hanger takes up less room?

I suppose that, if you've got space, then a tie box sounds good - I store quite a few of my ties in a small chest of drawers beside my bed and I can roll up my ties and fit 16 into each drawer. I've got quite a few ties, though, so I still use a couple of hanging racks in the wardrobe, particularly for knit and wool ties.

4. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

A combination of something stylish to hold stuff and the look of the W+P messenger bag appeals to me. But open to suguestions.

Already have Filson Field Satchel and a small black briefcase both used for work so the messenger bag would be a good option for both work and play.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012

5. jmills

jmills Senior member

Has anyone tried Herringbone's MTM?

6. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

id stay with pjohnson for the money

7. deingesicht

deingesicht Senior member

Thanks for the review. Which Meermin did you purchase in the end?

8. jmills

jmills Senior member

Yeah, I'm just curious about my options because I'm stuck out in Perth. I will keep an eye out for when PJ's entourage visits us again, but I'm wondering whether Herringbone might be a decent alternative for the time being.

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I haven't, but I did go to the local launch and was able to try on some of their "sample" suits.

It seemed to be a pretty limited MTM operation. In essence, the local store has a supply of suits/jackets in various sizes on their MTM block, which they get you to try on. It's worth noting that the block on which the suits/jackets are made is not the same as their usual, off-the-rack blocks, but it is instead a block supplied by the MTM suit maker, Scabal.

Once you're wearing the sample suit, one of the employees takes some measurements and makes notes about what needs to be modified. There are, apparently, various things that can be done but the essential block stays the same.

To be frank, I wasn't pretty impressed. The MTM block didn't fit me as well as the standard, Osaka block and the relatively small range of options/alterations available meant that the only real advantage of getting MTM was so that you could get a particular fabric.

I must say that they do have some nice fabrics in their MTM books, particularly in regard to odd jackets for summer but as long as the MTM program is so restricted, I'm not interested.

10. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

You might check out Saddleback leather. They have some messanger bags/scholar bag crossovers and they are all made tough in the USA.

[​IMG]

11. jmills

jmills Senior member

Thanks JM. Doesn't sound worth the effort really.

12. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

For all the experts on Ralph Lauren, I recently found a linen navy blazer which fitted me well. At Myer in the city, if I recall correctly. They want $1k for it, which sounds stompingly extravagant to me. Does anyone know whether I can get the same item cheaper online?

13. lennier

lennier Senior member

Get PJohnson to make you one that would be better quality and cheaper as well as fitting you perfectly, if you're in that ballpark!

14. Robert Meredith

Robert Meredith Well-Known Member

15. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Trying to find the same thing online is always a bit chancy, but RL Polo stuff is usually widely available on eBay and there are quite a few very reputable sellers there.

A lot of new-with-tags (NWT) jackets and suits sell for $400 or less on the 'Bay, so if you can find the same jacket, you will save a significant amount of money.

The only potential obstacle could be the seasonal differences between here and the northern hemisphere, which means that we usually have better luck picking up cheap winter stuff from the US during our summer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.