Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sydgun

Sydgun Member

Can anyone recommend a good tailor in Sydney CBD for a tailored suit (pure wool).. around the $ 600-700 mark including labour.. thanks heaps![​IMG]

2. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Senior member

Can anyone recommend a good tailor in Sydney CBD for a tailored suit (pure wool).. around the $ 600-700 mark including labour.. thanks heaps![​IMG]

buy a fitted OTR then get an alteration, they'res loads around Chatswood...

3. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

4. JTA

JTA Senior member

It may be challenging to get the price you want.

5. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

buy a fitted OTR then get an alteration, they'res loads around Chatswood...

+1

Regardless of where you go to get it altered, you can't get MTM or bespoke anywhere in Sydney for that price. OTR for you.

6. Sydgun

Sydgun Member

cheers guys... haven't bought a proper suit in Syd for ages... I had them made during my trips overseas in the past ... as I only intend to wear them for work I didn't really want to go ott... might look at getting OTR and altered as most of you recommended... any good shops in Syd that you know of? I've seen a lot of Leoni's shops on my way to work.. what is their quality like?

7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Are you talking about the Leone (sp?) shops - I think there is one on Pitt Street near Bridge in Sydney?

A colleague bought a suit from there and he was pretty happy with it. One of those places though that was 'closing down' about 10 years ago and still periodically has the odd 'closing down sale'... whatever that tells you.

8. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

cheers guys... haven't bought a proper suit in Syd for ages... I had them made during my trips overseas in the past ... as I only intend to wear them for work I didn't really want to go ott... might look at getting OTR and altered as most of you recommended... any good shops in Syd that you know of? I've seen a lot of Leoni's shops on my way to work.. what is their quality like?

I never understand this "it's only for work statement", isn't that where you spend most of your time?
    Don't understand the point of buying something nice to wear twice a year for weddings etc and something crap for everyday wear.

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I never understand this "it's only for work statement", isn't that where you spend most of your time?
    Don't understand the point of buying something nice to wear twice a year for weddings etc and something crap for everyday wear.

+1. If you're not going to look nice for work, when are you going to look nice? Going to a mate's barbeque on the weekend, perchance?

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

+1. If you're not going to look nice for work, when are you going to look nice? Going to a mate's barbeque on the weekend, perchance?

Ms fxh used to constantly complain that I dressed up all week to go to work and then at nights and weekends dressed down for her. (she NEVER complains when I un - dress for her)

But really - what sort of idiot wants to put on a tie to go out to eat at the local Vietnamese or a fillum at the weekend when most of the other tossers can't be bothered to put on a clean ironed shirt or pants that fit? That level of "dressing up" would qualify one for the AAAC stereotype or half the youthful misogynist septics that post here on SF. (not on the oz threads I hasten to add)

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

Someone was talking about the nouveau / CUBs (cashed up bogans) penchant for ill fitting overpriced brand names in clothes as opposed to the tasteful clobber that us eGents would purchase should we win tatts or fuck our way into a fortune through marriage.

As an example I have before me the "Luxury" mag from this Friday's Fin Review.

Page 31 - guy in white pants cross between jeans and chinos, looks like a boot cut bottom or widish, thin strappy sandals, low cut empire line t shirt, and cream leather jacket, very tight fit.

Doesn't look all that bad, in a beach holiday Lorne / Brighton hipster sort of way, but not much more than you might see around occasionally.

Prices? - Got a brown paper bag to stop hyperventilation handy?

Hermes leather Jacket = $14, 850 - thats more than my car is worth and with a lot less leather than my car.
    Short sleeved cotton T shirt= $425 - some good floating canvass suits are cheaper on line.
    Pants = $1020 - I'd say Rivers pants at $49 look as good.
    Belt = $1020 - yes its a fuckin belt!
    Sandals = $435

Speechless

12. blahman

blahman Senior member

Someone was talking about the nouveau / CUBs (cashed up bogans) penchant for ill fitting overpriced brand names in clothes as opposed to the tasteful clobber that us eGents would purchase should we win tatts or fuck our way into a fortune through marriage. As an example I have before me the "Luxury" mag from this Friday's Fin Review. Page 31 - guy in white pants cross between jeans and chinos, looks like a boot cut bottom or widish, thin strappy sandals, low cut empire line t shirt, and cream leather jacket, very tight fit. Doesn't look all that bad, in a beach holiday Lorne / Brighton hipster sort of way, but not much more than you might see around occasionally. Prices? - Got a brown paper bag to stop hyperventilation handy? Hermes leather Jacket = $14, 850 - thats more than my car is worth and with a lot less leather than my car. Short sleeved cotton T shirt= $425 - some good floating canvass suits are cheaper on line. Pants = $1020 - I'd say Rivers pants at $49 look as good. Belt = $1020 - yes its a fuckin belt! Sandals = $435 Speechless
    Hahahaha thats standard fin review. Although doubt any CUB would read anything let alone read the fin review. If you look at the cars advertised in it they cost at least 10x the worth of your car so naturally the clothes advertised would cost at least 10x your clothes [​IMG] They're really targeting financial the execs and we all know how filthy rich they are. Still I LOL every time I see those prices. Anyway, no one in Melb ever tried Donatello tailors on Russell Street?

13. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

But really - what sort of idiot wants to put on a tie to go out to eat at the local Vietnamese or a fillum at the weekend when most of the other tossers can't be bothered to put on a clean ironed shirt or pants that fit? That level of "dressing up" would qualify one for the AAAC stereotype or half the youthful misogynist septics that post here on SF. (not on the oz threads I hasten to add)

LOL! Sounds like me. I've been known to turn up to mate's BBQ wearing my linen suit (no tie though)..whilst they all stand around in T-shirts, shorts and thongs.

Tonight we had a big dinner party..an annual event amongst my circle of friends. I had on new sports jacket and linen trousers, they were an assortment of jeans + shirts/T-shirts...I don't care. (To be fair I was planning on wearing jacket + jeans but my 1.5 year old daughter defecated on my jeans during story time..what is a man to do?).

I buy suits that I can wear to work and on the weekend. I'm lucky in that I don't have to wear a suit to work, but I choose to do so. Therefore a linen or corduroy suit looks fine in my office, I don't have to wear a charcoal corporate uniform. So a 'play' suit can also be worn 9-5.

14. JohnsNotHere

JohnsNotHere Senior member

Dunno... own more than one pair of jeans? I never wear suits on the weekend unless I'm going to a wedding or a funeral. While others may disagree, I personally think you can be overdressed. I go to a barbie at a mates place, it's t shirt and shorts all the way.

15. RemyMichel

RemyMichel Senior member

Someone was talking about the nouveau / CUBs (cashed up bogans) penchant for ill fitting overpriced brand names in clothes as opposed to the tasteful clobber that us eGents would purchase should we win tatts or fuck our way into a fortune through marriage.

As an example I have before me the "Luxury" mag from this Friday's Fin Review.

Page 31 - guy in white pants cross between jeans and chinos, looks like a boot cut bottom or widish, thin strappy sandals, low cut empire line t shirt, and cream leather jacket, very tight fit.

Doesn't look all that bad, in a beach holiday Lorne / Brighton hipster sort of way, but not much more than you might see around occasionally.

Prices? - Got a brown paper bag to stop hyperventilation handy?

Hermes leather Jacket = $14, 850 - thats more than my car is worth and with a lot less leather than my car.
    Short sleeved cotton T shirt= $425 - some good floating canvass suits are cheaper on line.
    Pants = $1020 - I'd say Rivers pants at $49 look as good.
    Belt = $1020 - yes its a fuckin belt!
    Sandals = $435

Speechless

Hahahaha love it. I grabbed the fin on the way out from work but it was missing the Lux mag.

Its always good to have a gander at what other people throw together, 9 times out of 10 its crap though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.