1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

I am also curious, if anyone has the answer?

2. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Prof, how do you go with Lands End sizing? I got a couple of cardigans a year or so again in medium and they were quite baggy and in hindsight should have gone small. If I recall from your fit pics, you seem like me, to be quite slim/lean, so I'd expect similar issues?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  3. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

What anyone thinks looks good is not merely a reflection of primal impulse. It's fundamentally a matter of what you know and understand. Naturally, when we understand something differently, we also view it differently. What might have been beautiful becomes hideous, and vice versa. So, if you took time to learn the established canon of classic menswear, I think you'd understand what you see at Pitti differently--and it would be a more rewarding experience, as you could mine real lessons and inspiration. Things to build on and learn from, not merely outfits to mimmic.

A good book on classic style won't tell you what to wear every day. That's not the point. I do not dress the way Flusser and Boyer tell me to. Rather, I read them and realized there are principles and ideas and concepts to apply. The point is to learn the language of classic menswear so that when you use elements of it, you can do so to better effect.

4. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Thanks, nice choice there.

@ Prof B Bear - I second FXH's recommendation that those fabrics are a little old mannish and a herringbone or even a donegal would be better, minus the patches. My favourite sportcoat is a H/bone mid grey herringbone which originally came with brown suede patches. I eventually removed them and now get 3 times as much wear out of the coat and as an added bonus it is now wearable with black shoes as well.

It's interesting watching more guys on this thread planning ahead for the coming seasons. Traditionally women did that and men buy what they can wear right now (which I still tend to) but it seems to be swinging more and more, perhaps due to the availability of winter gear off the net now rather than having to wait for them to come in store. I may need to think about getting the cashmere scarves back in stock a little earlier this year.

5. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Dowit. Just dowit. I had my apprehensions at first, but went ahead anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(The second picture was taken using a Holga, hence the grain and the inaccurate white balance)

Aaannnnd now the apprehension is back ha!

6. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Yes plsssssssss!!!! Also if you could take me with the soles up also would be great :)

7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Firstly, I agree with fxh, those fabrics are very old man. If you are going for the Hyde Park warb look, then by all means go for a gun club check with elbow patches, but otherwise I would steer you towards a Donegal type tweed, or a herringbone as has been suggested, especially as you are a young chap.

Secondly, those are not even close to "full retard". This is full retard tweed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Not sure. First time ordering from Lands End. I went with a Medium for everything as I can always get it slimmed down later.

9. swan

swan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Which would you pick?
    Both are dark navy

10. sliq

sliq Senior member

if i had a choice.... neither.

11. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

In terms of casual I wear crew neck i like the look it creates. As for work V neck looks more formal and suits the vibe in my line of work and shows off tie.

Never been a fan of roll or turtle neck jumpers.

12. burnso

burnso Senior member

No problems, the soles up pic is the best it turns out

Few conclusions:
    - they are basically just as wide as each other, the main difference I can see is the tapered toe of the Capital
    - the Capital sole/ welt appears to stick out more (more welt visible), so the actual shoe is a bit narrower
    - think you'll be happy with either

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last pic you can see on the left I super-imposed the Capital over the 026, with the Capital taper visible on dotted line ;)

Lighting and camera is poor atm, but can try some better pics if you wanted.

...and remember the Capital last in this example is a half size smaller (9.5UK)

1 person likes this.
  13. Manuhiri

Manuhiri Well-Known Member

So I dropped my watch yesterday as I was putting it on and now it has stopped. Does anybody have a strong opinion about whether Omega watches should be services by an authorised dealer? Or does anybody have a recommended place to get it serviced in Melbourne?

14. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

If I were to buy one book on 'classic' menswear is the Alan Flusser book 'the' go to read?

I have to admit the recent discussions, while frustrating, had some interesting moments.

15. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

Yes. It also contains good technical pieces of writing if you're into understanding garments.

Anyone here want an O&J size 14.5 neck/33 sleeve white shirt (not button down) for $50+postage? I've only worn it once and washed it once and I don't think it'll be getting anymore mileage due to sizing in the neck.

EDIT: size is 14.5/33 sleeve

16. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Is that the same as a size small in the red chambray?

17. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Have you thought about moving the button if fit is ok elsewhere?

18. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

14.5 Neck / Sleeve 33
    Yes, going by the sizing chart: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/4346/files/Shirt_Size_Guide.png?960

Good idea...there's about 1.30cm between the end and where the button currently sits...let's have a try and see what happens :D

19. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Senior member

Quote: Let me know if it doesn't work out.

20. fxh

fxh Senior member

I have a nice proper Magee Donegal - a word of warning, the real stuff is a close thorn proof type weave and heavy. It wears very warm. Its windproof. So much so that I have to use it more like a parka to get much wear out of it at all. I'm seriously thinking of thinking of getting rid of it..

Prof - you re in Adelaide aren't you? I found the opshops /second hand/vintage shops in Adelaide full* of traditional English high quality stuff like Gun Club and Harris Tweeds etc. (I 'd call it the Alex Downer Squatter Frequent Trips to England Syndrome) - Indulge yourself cheaply with a second hand one - then at least the patches might make sense.

* hyperbole - not FULL - just a reasonable amount around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.