Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

TBM, thanks for the kind comment.

The jacket goes very well with a pair of Nantucket red trousers and I've worn it with a pair of orange trousers, too.

I suppose that, for a more casual look, I could pair it with a navy linen shirt (without a tie), a pair of white cotton trousers, and either brown or navy suede loafers/driving mocs. I might try that next time...

2. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

On button-downs I remember a series of posts by fxh featuring great photos of nicely rolled button down collars. I've searched through this thread but can't find them.

Did anyone save a link?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

3. davodiva

davodiva Active Member

Davo

haven't forgotten about you - maybe later tonight - cufflinks and dressing for 50+?

thanks fxh. Look forward to it.,

You're clearly a discriminatrix...moving in lofty circles! Who better?

4. sliq

sliq Senior member

that reminds me. i havta get my gitman OCBD slimmed down [​IMG]

5. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

[​IMG]

As part of Project Paprika, I got a pair of Gyula Kiss shoes - you can read a little more about them at this link. The leather is wonderfully soft but they are too short for my feet. Definitely a very special pair of shoes. I'm a size 9.5 in most C&J lasts and would estimate these to be a 9 or 8.5G.

The project is very similar to a tie swap in the sense that the shoes go from one person to the next and if they are a good fit, that person is able to buy them. In this case, they've gone from SF users luftvier, slewfoot, burton and now myself. It's a really great chance to experience something that most of us would not be able to otherwise.

If you are interested, let me know and we can take it from there.

fritzl , feel free to add anything I might have missed here.

6. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

FXH - May l ask what industry you work in?

7. Robert Meredith

Robert Meredith Well-Known Member

These look ok open collar, or is that a sartorial faux pas?

8. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

9. Gonzo

Gonzo Well-Known Member

I tend to stay clear of non-1880 / non-calf Loakes. The corrected grain stuff is pretty ordinary in my experience.

No experience with Meermin - I'm a bit late to the party.

10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Not at all - I often wear a button-down collar oxford-cloth shirt with an open collar on the weekend. You can wear them with chino pants, jeans, or shorts and they look great.

+1. Corrected grain (CG) leather looks nice and shiny at first but it typically creases very badly and when it scuffs, it stays scuffed - it's pretty much impossible to cover up the scuffs with polish as the CG leather doesn't take polish properly due to the plastic-like coating that's applied over the top of the leather.

Loake's 1880 line is well-priced for the quality. I've got a few pairs, including the two-eyelet, plaintoe bluchers that I was wearing yesterday and the adelaide-style captoe balmorals that I wore last week. The latter are the Strand model.

Give the vamp area a couple of coats of something like RM Williams's leather conditioner before wearing, so as to ensure that the leather is nice and supple, and you're good to go.

11. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

^
    Thanks guys; heard that 1880's are the only Loake's one should buy; but a lot of people said the royal's were fantastic, though from your argument I'll look at the 1880's.
    Btw I recall a (long) while back I saw a post about fairly cheap 1880's in Melbourne; if there are fairly cheap 1880's in Melbourne please let me know.

12. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

I don't know if there are, but I would highly recommend buying your first pair here in a store like Beggar Man Thief where you can get fitted properly. Shoes are damn expensive to return, and if they don't fit quite right you'll never be comfortable in them. After you know your size, the world wide web is your oyster.

13. Osqua

Osqua Member

Just a quick Shout Out for DavoDiva.

He hooked me up this week with a pair of exquisite Gold double sided cufflinks I've been chasing.

Anyway ++Reps for offering me the Spring Carnival deal...I wasn't expecting it.

The Diva is a Man!!! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.