• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Least he wasn't wearing those pointy elf shoes you get from YD.

Speaking of such places where is a good place to get a nice shirt for clubs and dinner dates? country road have too many bright colours this season...

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As the speeches got going I sensed a presence beside me and someone whispered in my ear "I suspect I'm a little overdressed for this - I'm off to something else" - I turned it was an old colleague. Shawl collar dinner suit, black studs down pleated shirt, soft down pointing collar, and - as I looked down , bloody PATENT LEATHER SHINY PUMPS!. I said "I certainly think so mate but I can hardly fault you. But I'll try" - I looked then pounced - yes one thing wrong. He looked and wondered then asked - what - I said "Your bow tie is pre-tied" He said "Wrong I did it myself" and it was near perfect - too much so.

this had me cracking up. GOLD. and good on him for getting the self tie bow tie spot on.

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
this had me cracking up. GOLD. and good on him for getting the self tie bow tie spot on.

Do you recall what fragrance he was wearing? By his get up lm assuming it's crazy left field!

Lulzy

Reaction score
Since we're not yet graced with an MJ Bale outlet in Melbourne, can anyone who has seen both comment on how their SU2 tapered cut compares to Herringbone's Osaka? From the look and measurements they appear similar, are they?
There is one opening this month in Melbourne?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've gone from an autumnal outfit yesterday, to a spring one today:

Details:
- Land's End white OCBD shirt;
- Kent Wang by Gallo bicolour knit tie;
- Navy cotton trousers;
- Herringbone cotton jacket in mini-houndstooth pattern; and
- Alfred Sargent for Peal & Co/Brooks Brothers calf and suede spectator shoes.

I'm also carrying a Filson 256 briefcase but it's not visible in the photos.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you tuck your wang into your trousers?

Not at all - I let it flap freely in the breeze!

Although, as you might be able to see from the photos, I do put a clip on it...

davodiva

Reaction score
Reporting back from the real world. On clothes.
Having a quick squiz in the mirror on the way out I decided to change my tie - to be more bland.
Its navy with light blue and pink square dots. Yes the collar doesn't show tie space but its there - only been washed once - expecting a bit of shrink.
A quick hello to Christian on my way past. Then up to the 50th floor - nice cold beer then nibbles, Shiraz.
The Premier sent apologies. Cabinet Minister in plain blue suit, neither here nor there, not fitted well not fitted atrociously, white shirt with short straight collar, red tie - plain. Junior Ministers all female I didn't note their dress.
Just to give you a flavour - I counted 5 Professors /Deans I knew of and 6 OM/AMs I knew of - there were likely more. Plus two ex Federal Ministers and a couple of other highish profile persons.
About 38 males, 28 females. 7 males without tie. 3 with dark suit no tie. 3 with nondescript no colour greyish sport coat and almost matching trousers in no tie. One in Gun check sportcoat, light grey trousers, checked shirt, stripped tie, jacket too long by 3". Mostly dark suits, dark ties and many of those stupid shiney pastel ties. Mostly nothing much good. I checked shoes out - some not too bad - one bloke I know well always wears Churches - but beside him and me I didn't see another good shoe. One bloke - and I'm not exaggerating here - had on an ok suit, nice enough if badly fitted checked white shirt, acceptable tie and huge feckin Caterpillar shoes.
Black but with soles about 2" high and treaded! Like this
As the speeches got going I sensed a presence beside me and someone whispered in my ear "I suspect I'm a little overdressed for this - I'm off to something else" - I turned it was an old colleague. Shawl collar dinner suit, black studs down pleated shirt, soft down pointing collar, and - as I looked down , bloody PATENT LEATHER SHINY PUMPS!. I said "I certainly think so mate but I can hardly fault you. But I'll try" - I looked then pounced - yes one thing wrong. He looked and wondered then asked - what - I said "Your bow tie is pre-tied" He said "Wrong I did it myself" and it was near perfect - too much so.
And there you go - an evening at the Top End of Town in Melbourne.
Ask me any questions.

Thank god for the man wearing 'huge fecking Catapillars'

This inspires me with great hope that my own sartorial slobness is far from terminal. :)

Gonzo

Reaction score
Since we're not yet graced with an MJ Bale outlet in Melbourne, can anyone who has seen both comment on how their SU2 tapered cut compares to Herringbone's Osaka? From the look and measurements they appear similar, are they?
Just go to DJs in the city. The MJ Bale suits are down the far end near the Canali, Z Zegna, etc.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Great jacket.

I've gone from an autumnal outfit yesterday, to a spring one today:
Details:
- Land's End white OCBD shirt;
- Kent Wang by Gallo bicolour knit tie;
- Navy cotton trousers;
- Herringbone cotton jacket in mini-houndstooth pattern; and
- Alfred Sargent for Peal & Co/Brooks Brothers calf and suede spectator shoes.
I'm also carrying a Filson 256 briefcase but it's not visible in the photos.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Should of taken a photo .. Its almost disturbingly creepy that you memorised everyones clothes haha

Not really creepy.
All from years ago I always make notes on agendas and minutes etc in meetings to remember people and things they are on about or views etc. When dealing with groups I don't know well I always used to write down names etc around table and some identifying detail - green tie - black glasses etc. When preparing for an official do - there is always the Chairs copy of agenda with short bios of those around table or other info only chair sees. On short visit consulting to some places I will take lots of photos of environment and people and ordinary things to drop on file.

So I got used to taking down stuff - not to mention sometimes chairing and having to write minutes as well. Also chairs notes help when someone else has written minutes to revise /edit them prior to sending them out.

Then when I stumbled onto clothing forums I was struck by the many absolute certain RULES some people had about dressing. And descriptions of weddings and especially workplaces that were nothing like the very wide range of situations I'd been in. So whenever I'd get taken to one of Melbourne Clubs I'd note what people were actually wearing, at say the Melbourne Club, at a formal dinner, or at The Governors House for cocktails.

Its easy to get into a rant about what people are wearing, but ever the old evidence based person, I was interested in observing and recording at the time what people were actually wearing rather than what I HOPED they were wearing, or twisting the evidence to support my "theory" - so I'd take notes on what people were wearing with no real purpose in mind. So that when I went back it was an objective snapshot. I used to have a great camera that was small and made no noise and didn't have a mechanical poke out lenses thing that was great for taking unobtrusive photos in meetings - I used to use it to remember faces and record meetings.

So I have piles of old paper agendas with notes on the clothes people were wearing, colours of ties, shirts etc. Scrappy and illegible times but interesting to me when people are debating if anyone wears say, pink shirts, or french cuffs etc. Needless to say many forum posters are either deluded or misinformed or full of **** when talking of workplace norms.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Industrie are selling their version of a button-down oxford online today for $56 (see here)... haven’t seen one in person and not sure of the fit or measurements (no doubt too short in the sleeves), but might be a cheap casual option ?

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Journeyman, I remember that 'Bone jacket. Many customers were unsure of how to style it - if only we had pictures of you in store, would have made visualising the outfit in customer's minds much easier :)

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Industrie are selling their version of a button-down oxford online today for $56 (see here)... haven’t seen one in person and not sure of the fit or measurements (no doubt too short in the sleeves), but might be a cheap casual option ?

Better off ordering one from Land's End - cheaper, better collar, and almost certainly better constructed and more durable. The LE "Hyde Park" OCBD shirts are fantastic, with solid construction and cloth that wears really well and becomes lovely and soft over time. Their tailored fit option is good, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads