1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. md2010

md2010 Senior member

mid grey pants will look nice with that jacket. For odd jackets I prefer single vent. Double vent looks a bit more formal.So I prefer double vents only for suits.

2. deingesicht

deingesicht Senior member

Yes that's assuming we get that many orders for the shoe trees. The price will come down the more that is ordered [​IMG] I'm not looking at making a profit from this.

3. burnso

burnso Senior member

Melbourne folks who Topy their shoes, who do you use?

I recently saw an old post by fxh, and decided I should Topy some more of my shoes.

I have used McClouds once, and the job is good, but the shoes came back grubby and just didn't feel like 'care' was used...

4. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Master Cobbler on Collins St near the Spencer St end.

5. Romp

Romp Senior member

was too warm to be agnelli ;)

Thats tough ... The base is quite dark. Maybe try to match the tone in the overcheck ... Dusty pink/red cotton or cord pants... Can you get different buttons? Go a light horn to lighten up the jacket and make it more casual

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  6. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Hmmm... if only there was a place that offered a two suits for $1,000 package...

7. Manuhiri

Manuhiri Well-Known Member

Bit of a bugger. The new C and Js are creasing on the toe caps. I guess it indicates they are a half size too small but they feel great.

[​IMG]

8. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Which C&Js, Manuhiri?

9. Manuhiri

They are the Lonsdale on the 363 Last.

10. thebrownman

LOL - yeah, if only.

Ennb, head along to MJ Bale on George Parade in the city (behind the Grand Hyatt). They have a 2 for $1000 suiting offer. Tom or Paolo will be able to help guide you :)

11. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

That’s the trademark TBM patience that we all know and love!

12. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

Any one with Loake 1880 Aldwych's able to guide me on how they sized compared to other shoes?

Well how much interest have you received so far? I might be in for ~3 pairs. Sizing is just a bit of an issue, not sure how to go.

13. Manuhiri

I have two pairs of Aldwych's. Fit seems to be fairly standard to me. Mine are a half size bigger than my Church's (Last 73 which runs large) and C and Js. But given this morning's development I'd probably go for the same size in C and J now.

14. burnso

burnso Senior member

Thank you, Ill try a pair out on them I think ;)

I have the Aldwych's. They are the first pair I ordered online so they are actually a half size 'too small' (9.5). Every other shoe I have ordered is a 10, and that's what Id now get in the 1880's, so basically they are true to size IMO (compared to: Cheaney, Design Loake, Herring, Loake 026 last)

15. thebrownman

Haha, don't know about that. You're the first one to call me patient.

I'm heading in to MJ Bale today to get a 50% linen, 50% merino navy herringbone suit.

16. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

So if I go into David Jones, try on the regular Loake line and get my size, the Aldwych's should fit quite similar?

17. thebrownman

Had a wedding reception at Carousel in Albert Park on Sunday. This is me in the 'burbs of Melbourne in MJ Bale after I'd scoffed my face full of food

[​IMG]

18. thebrownman

The Aldwych are on the "Capital" last. If you try a calf shoe on in the Capital last in the right size (length and width), then you'll know your size for sure. David Jones' Loake offering is mediocre IMO, so they may not have a point of direct comparison for you.

19. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Wow, it looks like you have shrunk significantly since your days at Herringbone; great work! Out of interest, how many sizes are you down by?

20. Nicholas D C

Nicholas D C Well-Known Member

You can get Loake/Herring/etc shoes shipped to Australia for a lot cheaper than retail prices from various companies. Best I've dealt with is herringshoes.co.uk and Pediwear. Herring has best shipping prices and timings - and absolutely awesome customer service. You can get Loake Classics for about 160 dollars shipped.

I wear brown shoes with my navy suits - here people are super-laidback about suiting up in any case, you can get away with quite a bit (not that dark brown and navy is particularly informal really). I'm starting a grad job in consulting, and I will be wearing most mid-grey/brown, navy/dark brown, and charcoal grey/black combinations if that's reassuring at all.

For suits, have you checked out MJ Bale? SuitSupply is another option (their suits start at 469 USD). For shirts, check out Luxire or Cottonwork for decently priced, good quality stuff - although Charles Tyrwhitt is fine for reasonable starting-out shirts, and excellently priced.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.