1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Interesting Rob, keen to hear some more details on this when the time is right. Today's fit. I'll predict It'll be about 10.30 by the time my tie comes off in this weather. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Coat: Caruso Hopsack Shirt: Henry Carter light blue micro check Tie: Henry Carter Navy knit w/ gold dots Trousers: Random MBT Shoes: Carmina cap toe

2. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Mind also blown, Rob. Eagerly awaiting your announcement.

For Melb guys, it seems Gerry and TBM may show up if there is a meetup. Matt is double booked but may drop by. I'm pretty keen. Should we hash out the details? Realistically, I can only get out of work at 6. Siglo/supper club if no other suggestions? There is another drinks place next to gin palace which is quite good, as another option...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  3. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Whaaaaat? This is huge. Very exciting!

4. elvish

elvish Senior member

they look to be Oliver Peoples' Riley

also, tried the sweet moon cafe - lovely work your friend/family has done. delicious.

5. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

It looks to be a good fit in the all-important shoulders...but speaking of the shoulders, are you ok with the built-up RLBL look? The trend at the moment (especially on here) definitely seems to be towards natural shoulders, so to my eye at least big shoulders look a bit dated/strange. Compare the RLBL with the jacket Jason is wearing, above.

6. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Sounds great Romp.

So Melbourne gents, with the temperature looking to hit 39 degrees, who was brave enough to jacket up today?

7. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Sorry guys, I'm a maybe at this stage for tomorrow. In fact, won't know til' tomorrow. I may be umpiring the juniors cricket game on Friday night.

8. lennier

lennier Senior member

If I'd been in town I would have, but I'm working at home :)

Actually I have a theory that as long as the jacket is not too thick or tight (of weave or fit) then it doesn't actually make you any hotter at those sorts of temperatures. In fact by keeping direct radiant heat off the layer next to your skin it might actually help you feel a little cooler (at least enough to perhaps offset any extra heat the layer creates). It's different of course if there's a significant breeze that can evaporate sweat on exposed skin, in which case jacket-less with no tie and rolled sleeves will definitely feel cooler. But hot still conditions I don't seem to see much difference, you're just hot regardless :)

9. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

I think the key factor is how much you have to move. If it's a matter of crossing the street for a coffee and coming back it isn't going to be too big a deal, but if you are walking to meetings etc wearing a jacket it is going to make you feel hotter.

10. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Yeah agree with what you said - all my other suits are c.2010 herringbone, so this one is a bit different in the structured shoulders. Not sure if i need another navy suit if my current work wardrove is:

- Navy Suit with 2 pants (Herringbone)
    - Charcoal Suit with 2 pants (Herringbone)
    - Medium Grey Solid Suit (Herringbone)
    - Blue/Grey POW Check Suit (Herringbone)
    - Navy Pinstripe Suit (RLBL)
    - Navy Sports Coat (Herringbone)
    - Navy Blazer with gold buttons (PoloRL)
    - 4 pairs of odd trousers in varying shades of grey.

When you were in your early to mid 20s, what would your budget for suits and clothes look like? I am trying not to overspend on these ridiculous sales.

11. The Ernesto

That's a pretty impressive set up for someone in their mid-twenties, Ari.

Perhaps all you need is a grey or brown/tweed jacket that you could match with some navy pants.

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Ari, if it were me, I'd concentrate more upon getting some more odd jackets and trousers, rather than another navy suit (particularly as your existing suit has two pairs of trousers).

But that's just me - some people aren't so keen on odd jackets etc and some workplaces might not be so accepting of them.

In regard to the discussion about hot weather clothing a couple of posts back, I find that as long as I don't button my jacket when walking about in hot weather, then wearing a jacket doesn't make me feel any hotter, as the unbuttoned jacket still allows air flow.

13. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Or, an 8oz fresco, quarter-lined. Singapore weather does that to you.

14. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

I did put on my Herringbone linen/silk/wool unstructured blazer for about 5 seconds this morning and decided that only rolled up sleeves will do today.

15. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Good point - several of my suit jackets and odd jackets are quarter lined, and made from quite open-weave cloth, too. It certainly helps with air flow.

16. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

I'd say skip the RLBL navy from David Jones if the one you already have from Herringbone is also 2-button, single-breasted with jetted pockets.

17. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Thanks Ernesto - I do try to make somewhat of an effort to look the part, and i often get my suits for 50% off... but the downside is that I do end up spending quite a lot of money on clothes, particular for someone as junior as I am in the finance field. On the note about odd trousers and pants - the only thing i feel comfortable getting away with is the navy jacket and grey pants, which already looks a bit ivy league, and beyond that I would stand out too much from my colleagues who generally wear suits. I work for an investment bank - do you guys have a different experience in your respective fields?

18. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

So you don't represent Vincent Chase?

1 person likes this.
  19. The Ernesto

For some strange reason the odd jacket and pants seems uncommon in Australia. Then again, it's prevalent in the US but often not in a good way...when executed badly I have heard it referred to as 'the full Cleveland'. I have never been to Cleveland. I'm sure it's nice.

I say go for it, but exercise caution. Research is your friend, online via tumblr, SF etc, and in print.

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2007/10/twenty-great-clothing-books.html

20. Romp

Romp Senior member

Doh! ahaha
    most investment bank guys look the same. OTR dark suit plain or with chalk stripes, white or blue shirt with french cuffs. If you are in equities its no tie, IB is tie. No PS - ever but occasional banker cuff/collar. Any deviation from this gets the "alpha males" aka neanderthals worked up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.