• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah gloves. I bought these a few years ago in Europe for some stupid reason, I couldn't afford them then and I couldn't afford them now but it was my first time overseas and I convinced myself they were a sensible choice. Wore them non-stop until I got home, haven't worn them since as it's never cold enough. The only use they have got is my brother and a friend dressing up as Daft Punk and needing gloves.

Last edited:

catpower

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. It's great to see such a strong Aussie contingent here!

What are your best tips (stores, websites or brands) for finding some slim fitting work trousers? I'm not fussed about big name brands but a good fit (slim, minimal break etc) is important. I have fairly skinny legs and the usual suspects - DJs, Myer and Country Road - never quite cut it.

Ta!

Naka

Reaction score

Do any of you gents have the same immensely strong feelings about women's clothes that I do? I try not to talk about them too much because I get into fights with my girlfriend. Going shopping with her actually makes me angry because I see the stuff that a lot of women are buying. Women who are into "style" or "fashion" or whatever it's called seem to shop incredibly differently to men. I point out to my girlfriend who's eyeing some $700 Carla Zampatti dress that it's made of polyester and she doesn't speak to me for 4 hours. There just isn't the same respect for fabric or construction, I can't work out why.

Women's clothing has much more emphasis on fashion and design as they aren't constrained to a certain uniform so to speak. Women can wear dresses of all shapes and sizes in all the colours of the rainbow and look fantastic, whereas a man wearing a funky coloured suit generally draws a lot of negative attention.

Also, the really high end couture clothing is often made with the finest workmanship and materials, but that kind of stuff is never scene in public, at least in Australia.

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score
Women just tend to settle on the look of the garment rather than take into consideration its construction (speaking from personal experience ONLY). I see a lot of nice blazers around the place but never pull the trigger because they'll either be fused, made from wool/poly blends etc.

My GF buy a lot of stuff from ASOS which is mainly poly. My favourite is when she buys summer dresses and tops because they'll be "cool and breezy." Never minding the fact they are 100% poly and do not breathe.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lachy - re the gloves
I think here as opposed to say snow country UK or USA that gloves are really only worn outside - not even on trams or trains - therefore the chunkier look works ok.
Although I do understand how the smoother look is very seductive.

I've worn mine on trains from time to time on a really cold day.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. It's great to see such a strong Aussie contingent here!

What are your best tips (stores, websites or brands) for finding some slim fitting work trousers? I'm not fussed about big name brands but a good fit (slim, minimal break etc) is important. I have fairly skinny legs and the usual suspects - DJs, Myer and Country Road - never quite cut it.

Ta!
I'll recommend Howard Yount to anyone, anytime. Not the cheapest; totally worth it. Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
Women's clothing has much more emphasis on fashion and design as they aren't constrained to a certain uniform so to speak. Women can wear dresses of all shapes and sizes in all the colours of the rainbow and look fantastic, whereas a man wearing a funky coloured suit generally draws a lot of negative attention.
Also, the really high end couture clothing is often made with the finest workmanship and materials, but that kind of stuff is never scene in public, at least in Australia.
I do understand all of this, but I don't think people here really dress the way they do to conform to some standard men's uniform. Women can look great in almost anything, but I still instantly pick out a quality piece of clothing on them. I truly cannot stand fast fashion, to me it is a vain, environmentally unfriendly way of dressing that shows no self respect.

It's a shame as you say that there are very few quality women's clothing outlets in Australia. Brands that actually make decent women's stuff generally sell only accessories and shoes in Australia. One of the worst perpetrators IMO is Ralph Lauren; they offer some brilliant guy's stuff (albeit in addition to giant pony brand trash), but the women's clothing is awful. I hope that now Oroton has lost the licence, PRL Corp will lift their game in terms of stock.

xCrunchx

Reaction score
I would just like to say if anyone wants to repair their denim send it to Mikhail Zenon. He does an absolutely great job!

rhubarb jam

Reaction score
Apple cider gets you pretty damn tanked very quickly. Feel like absolute CRAP today. Taking all my energy to barely sit down and look at my laptop.
I feel your pain. 8% ciders certainly don't taste that strong at the time.
confused.gif

My better half is currently in NYC and I'm hoping you may have some pointers on where she should look for male clothing and more specifically accessories. I'm in need of a leather overnight bag amongst the usual ties, PS, shoe trees etc. The poor girl will be using every bit of her 40kg baggage allowance. I know there's a multitude of threads on the main forum but I trust your opinions more! :) Thanks.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do any of you gents have the same immensely strong feelings about women's clothes that I do? I try not to talk about them too much because I get into fights with my girlfriend. Going shopping with her actually makes me angry because I see the stuff that a lot of women are buying. Women who are into "style" or "fashion" or whatever it's called seem to shop incredibly differently to men. I point out to my girlfriend who's eyeing some $700 Carla Zampatti dress that it's made of polyester and she doesn't speak to me for 4 hours. There just isn't the same respect for fabric or construction, I can't work out why.
Totally agree, case in point is some $300 boots my gf bought. They're PLEATHER ffs.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I survived my bucks weekend, just. I've not been so crook for a fair while and had to get one of my mates to drive my car home but it was a great weekend all the same. No grog for a few days now.

I am on holidays now though so that's a bonus.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
maybe better suited for the other forum but does anyone know how the various 3sixteen jeans fit and if anywhere in sydney stocks them?

Cheers
Rob

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain. 8% ciders certainly don't taste that strong at the time.
confused.gif

My better half is currently in NYC and I'm hoping you may have some pointers on where she should look for male clothing and more specifically accessories. I'm in need of a leather overnight bag amongst the usual ties, PS, shoe trees etc. The poor girl will be using every bit of her 40kg baggage allowance. I know there's a multitude of threads on the main forum but I trust your opinions more! :) Thanks.

Clothing-wise, what about Epaulet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads