Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Prof. B Bear - Ethan Desu worked for Herringbone.

Herringbone was started in 1997 by John Mutton and Matt Jensen. In 2008, the company fell into voluntary administration. It was bought by Van Laack in late 2008.

Early on, shirts were manufactured in Australia. This was a brief period, before shirts started being produced in Pakistan. The shirts of this era were fantastic. I still wear them regularly and they're only beginning to show slight signs of wear. Once Van Laack took over, production of shirting shifted to Vietnam (where their factories are located). Also, Van Laack began sourcing the material for Herringbone shirts. They opt for lighter weight fabrics - the fabrics aren't inferior per se, they're just lighter weight all year round.

Following the takeover, John Mutton stayed on as Managing Director for Australia, reporting to Van Laack in Germany. Matt Jensen started Jensen ('Yensen') for a brief period, before launching MJ Bale.

As for Ethan, he was employed as Head Tailor and managed the business' MTM shirting until 2008 when it stopped existing, and for a while managed a store in Sydney. He did not design for Herringbone specifically, until 2008, Herringbone had a few people in a design team, though Ethan gave his input I'm sure. His knowledge of tailoring, as we all know, is exemplary, and he also has a background in Japanese denim.

2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

All good points. But is thinly-veiled protectionism via lowering the LVT the answer? No one likes to see businesses go bust, least of all me, but propping up the ones that are going to fail due to out of date business models or poor management only hurts you in the long run.

You make some very good points about those Coles machines. I think they are one of the more visible symptoms of a broader trend that threatens low skilled jobs in this country. What is happening in retail now is very reminiscent of what happened with manufacturing from the '70s on, as decently paying low skilled jobs all moved offshore to low wage countries. But you can't fight these economic trends through subsidies and win. The better course is to actively upskill the workforce so they can become check out machine maintenance technicians, rather than check out workers. Easier said than done of course, but it's the only sustainable way to approach the problem IMO.

And let's not forget, as others have mentioned, it's not all doom and gloom in retail. Online retailers may not employ a lot of people (although when they get big enough they do) but they generate indirect jobs and economic activity in other sectors of the economy/their supply chains. But more importantly, there is still and always will be a place for bricks and mortar retail operations; perhaps I should have said for every Harvey Norman there is a Zara - they certainly do employ locals and occupy swathes of commercial real estate.

3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

These are an interesting phenomenon. On paper, I'm sure they seem to enhance productivity (certainly labour productivity, and in the long run, probably MFP). Yet it takes the customer longer to check themselves out than if the more "inefficient" check out girl does it for you.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Anyway, to veer back into the realm of clothing for a while and to temporarily leave Gerry Harvey behind, here are a few photos of what I was wearing earlier in the week:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Details - Deer Style cotton suit for spring/summer with waist patch pockets; Deer Style shirt; brown, grenadine tie (from the Tie Rack, as they have some surprisingly nice ties on occasion); Herringbone pocket square; Uniqlo socks and Crockett and Jones shoes.

Please note the use of the official, SF "robopose" in the final photograph. Sorry about the crumpled trousers - they need a press but cotton does tend to wrinkle up and to retain wrinkles more than wool.

5. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

The Vespa completes the whole look. Nice.

6. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Visited the TM Lewin store on King Street recently with the missus, with intention of getting a navy suit. Maybe I am too used to Italian cut and styling, because I cannot get myself to like the styles they have. Wife said style and cut were okay, not ugly, just different. She did comment that for what they are, the prices are not quite value for money. I agree.

7. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

yes back on the subject of expensive clothing...

My bespoke (mtm?) CJ gloves arrived today. Just in time for the.... oh wait.

As you can hopefully see from the photos, they fit perfectly. Nice and tight and have the 'second skin' feel that I was after.

I might try and wrap a review of them into my rundown of my Luxire shirt, which should also arrive today. And take some more photos not in horrid office lighting...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

NICE!

Thats what I'm after, really nice fitting gloves. I've got a lovely pair mustard leather pair I picked up in the US, but they're just not tight enough..

9. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Has anyone checked out the Siricco sale lately? I looked into the Bourke St store today at lunchtime, and they have 50% off a range of Itlaian shoes. A fair amount of Prada and Tod's, with the odd Moreschi and Gucci there. I saw a pair of suede Gucci bit loafers for $260.

10. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Thanks guys, I'm currently in cooma en route. The snowies is my favourite place in the world so it should be a cracker of a weekend.

11. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

[​IMG]

Friday gingham

Edit: sorry, didn't realise how large that photo would be

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

12. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

13. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Yes there's not a lot of variety among the pocket squares of the gentlemen of Melbourne :)

14. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Speak for yourself. Gerry Harvey and I order them on this internet thing sometimes...

15. lennier

lennier Senior member

So I wander in to Myer for a laugh with the thought to check out the TM Lewin section and see if they have any of the new 'casual collection' in store. You know, the one that just launched to much fanfare, that they've been emailing everybody under the sun about and have plastered all over their Australian website. The one you might think their sales droid might have at least *heard of*. Nope. Blank, uncomprehending looks. :facepalm:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.