Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

Its ok rompy.

I have about 25+ OCBDs and another 10 old ones for around the house, up to the supermarket.

Many I have two of each. Different plain solid colours and stripes - guarded stripes, awning stripes, bengal, broad stripes, candy, pink, yellow, blue, etc etc
    [​IMG]
    The one above I have 3 exact the same.

Some plain whites and blues and pink and university stripes I have for wearing with a tie.

I liked the effort you put into the popover. (although not a real fan of the current fad for untucked shirts - i could see myself hosting a BBQ in one of yours if it isnt too long.)
    I also have 4 pairs of those exact same chinos and 4 pairs of brown suede boots + brown suede shoes.Plus 4 brown jackets - cord, moleskin etc.

I decided a while back for certain casual /weekend things I'd wear the uniform. Makes it easy - reach into casual/weekend cupboard grab something - put it on. It all works.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  2. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

Still eagerly watching the Henry Carter and O&J threads for info on the new shirts. :lurk:

3. fxh

fxh Senior member

I've always loved a thick rugged Oxford Cloth. A basic wardrobe essential for any man.

Button Down is a bonus. Collar Roll is a fetish. Colour has to be the right pale, deep, blue for the classic BOCBD. One of my favs is a second hand very old LL BEAN,strong cloth in faded deep pink with dark pink/burgundy broad stripes. High collar, nice roll. I have some old BBs too. And a few odd brands that have turned out a decent OCBD over the years, I suspect some by accident.

I love the way they improve with age and washing. The Patina they acquire over time with loose threads, loose buttons, lost buttons, stains, tears,cigarettes burns, coffee/wine/curry stains. Slight wear on collar.

I was impressed with a prototype i think the Luxire boys showed- it was a yellow guarded stripe popover from memory and it was in very tough oxford. Made me think of a few design ideas.

4. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

You and me both. I've been told they are to arrive while I'm away on my honeymoon. We shall see.

In the meantime, we have a little wedding sale on for the next 10 days or so. Good time to stock up on Pantherella's for anyone that's a fan. More info on my affiliate thread.

5. blahman

blahman Senior member

Proportion to what?

6. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

OJ shirts been allocated time in october for production

Ps took advantage of your Henry Carter sale. Bought the green tie with white dots and bought the silver and navy check tie. ;)

7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Good on you Rob, and thanks to everyone else who put in orders overnight. I'm off to my bucks weekend in Jindabyne at lunchtime so everything will be despatched on Monday.

Cheers,
    Jas

8. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Jason, have taken advantage of your generous sale and have purchased a couple of pairs of socks (I notice there was no pink so went for pin dot instead). I hope you enjoy your Stag Do and wedding as much as I did. I got married about 7 weeks ago back in Scotland and am happiest to say the wedding and the time around it was the best in my life.

Looking forward to ordering a navy grenadine tie in the future but am waiting until the knit ties arrive and will get one of those too I think (orange is high on the list).

9. joiji

joiji Senior member

Just received your e-mail back, but my mail server is down so I too will wish you an excellent bucks weekend, Jason.

With all these sales of yours I might have to start wearing ties [​IMG]

10. sliq

sliq Senior member

enjoy your bucks!!

as an aside, I have a bucks to organise soon. any suggestions on what to do, apart from hired women/ hash? I have clay shooting, possibly canyoning or abseiling + quad biking lined up thus far.

11. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Add salt, it smoothes out the taste.

12. Prince of Paisley

No, you're quite right, I'm terribly sorry. I knew there was a perfectly logical explanation. Thanks for reminding us all of this neat trick, as I often find myself in similar situations when I'm not dying of thirst in the desert.

13. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

^ do that!

14. Prince of Paisley

Let's also not forget that cheaper imports as inputs into local industry are major drivers of productivity growth for local industry. If you have to rely on expensive, poorer quality local made inputs, your productivity will be less than that of a competitor who has access to the same cheaper, foreign made inputs.

For every Gerry Harvey that goes out of business, there is an Owen & James or a Henry Carter that will succeed by embracing the future of retail.

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

Davo

I'll get back to you later with a rant on dressing like a grownup and a bit on cufflinks - I'm sure others will too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.