1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

You should probably mention that you are the seller.

Also, I think that you might be confusing Canali with Zegna in your auction spiel, as I've never seen a jacket made from "Canali fabric". Zegna is a weaving house as well as a clothing manufacturer, and I've seen plenty of "Zegna" suits that were made from Zegna fabric by entirely unconnected manufacturers. However, I've never seen that for Canali, and Canali doesn't make its own cloth.

2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

How did you know this, JM?

3. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Investigative Journalism at it's finest

4. Gerry Nelson

I should have figured that JM stood for Journalistic Master.

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

I always get lots of compliments from women on both my length and width.

Some are very impressed with my dimple and my ability to get a good knot is unique but somewhat inhibiting in certain activities.

2 people like this.
  6. fxh

fxh Senior member

Its a basic skill that any grown up should have.

I assume you know the old toothpick/matchstick under button trick chief?

Darning socks is also a must.

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I can sew on buttons but I cannot darn socks and, to be entirely frank, I have no desire to learn!

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

You should. (Sounds like the kind of response I'd expect from Tony Abbott)

Most times a hole in a sock is merely at the toe, sometimes the heel, and a result of an errant toenail.

Darning with stronger wool or cotton will in fact make the sock even stronger.

Most darning I do takes about only 4 or 5 questions on QI per sock.

All you need is wool/cotton a large darning needle and a darning mushroom.

No need to throw away a good sock through a misplaced pride in your lack of basic survival skills.

9. jmills

jmills Senior member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  10. Romp

Romp Senior member

speaking of buttons - we used prestige buttons on our new boutonnieres for a custom order ... came out pretty nice.

Have to say prestige buttons are some of the best ive ever seen - depth of lustre on the nacre is incredible

[​IMG]

11. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

You know your on styleforum when you hear...."Lustre on the Nacre is incredible" :p

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

"Sadly the linen cotton mixes I saw were dreadful to feel and I sent them back."

I think I had a rush to the head - maybe meister was involved - and I had this idea I've long entertained - and I wanted 2 x cheap suits for summer - semi casual - blue and tan that would work by swapping jackets and trousers. Getting whole warm week out of the two outfits. So I ordered a McNutt linen suite in tan(ish) and a blue suit (the only blue available was linen /cotton) from LE on sale and + discount making them around $250 or less each I think. Trouble was the blue wasn't the same as the linen in material, cut, style, feel etc.

So my only real experience was this one particular suit. As I had said - LE varies a lot.

Word of warning for young players:: Be wary of light coloured non wool trousers at work - linen and cotton.
    It is not a good look to get up from a meeting, go to toilet , wash hands and have tap spray a fine spray all over your lap area and then walk back into meeting.

Its so bad as to suggest making a rule like - Do NOT ever wear light coloured cotton or linen trousers to a meeting of any sort.

13. Romp

Romp Senior member

yeah not sure if nacre technically applies here but heck its awesome haha

14. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

Recommendations for business shirts in the range of $50-100? I'm looking at TM Lewin as a starter in their Fully Fitted cut, but have heard mixed things.

I'll check out MJ Bale's too when I head in.

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

Talking about linen.
    I had a quick squiz in a Gazman shop today - lots of sale items and some surprisingly good range of linen shirts - I think sadly only in S,M,L XL, etc but seemed good quality and at around $50 - $60 and in a range of colours not too shabby at all. Some buttondowns, some uni stripes, some plain french blue two flap pockets etc - made me feel uplifted in a way as its rare to see a mainstream store with good stuff and not expensive. (I do hesitate to point out that they are probably on sale because the average punter doesn't want them)

They have a small range of linen /cotton 5 pocket trousers - seemed alright but can't tell if low rise or not with a quick squiz.

They have some linen jackets marked down to $150 or so too. Might be worth a try on for some.

16. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Absolutely true in every sense FHX. Have not yet seen in 20 years any light coloured cotton or linen trouser wearers or short sleeves shirt supporters for that matter get promotions to the good/serious jobs.

Hello colleagues - great to be back in 2013, now with ring on left hand, Murray River wedding was a an absolute blast.

Quick question for those of you who are Barbour aficionados and from reading here for a while I know there are a few of you. Which model jacket did you end up with and why? Am looking at the range on the Barbour site. Have several trips planned this year and a Barbour could be very handy. I tried tracking down a store with a decent Drizabone jacket collection after one of our members here (whom I cannot recall sorry) posted a pic of a great looking Drizabone jacket similar to the Barbours some weeks back.

Have narrowed down to these in order of preference in lui of not being able to find a decent stockist of Drizabone's that aren't like something from A Man from Snowy River....I just dont have a horse!!

Rexton - not sure about the US flag. Love the jacket, just not sure about a US flag in some of the countries I be heading this year.
    [​IMG]

Mountain Parka

[​IMG]
    and finally the Corbridge [​IMG]

Any recommendations be gratefully appreciated. I had a quick flash through DJs in Collins Street, but as usual was underwhelmed by the variety they stock, understand why they not have many, apart from the extreme heat we all experiencing now.

17. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Lewin are ok. On rotation (about 4 shirts) they should see you through a year, maybe two. After this they look raggy (is that an actual word?). They have sale on now, 4 for $160 if I recall correctly.

Brooks Brothers much better quality shirts for everyday wearing. Have almost given away all my TM Lewins now, replaced with BB.

18. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

Any particular models for Brooks Brothers? I might try out one of the $44 sale shirts if shipping isn't too expensive.

19. Gerry Nelson

You may be referring to my Drizabone Jacana:
    [​IMG]

I also have a Barbour Beaufort which I really like. It's meant to be a shooting jacket and it's a different look from the Drizabone I have which is a biker's jacket. The Bedale or Beaufort are the jackets that come to mind when I think of Barbour and the Beaufort is longer which is why I got that one.

I'll be honest - I really liked the look when I saw this: http://dieworkwear.com/post/20533537473/asians-in-barbours

20. Gerry Nelson

This is very witty because you think he's talking about his tie but he's really referring to his nose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.