1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Mate you have to get out early. As me and all my mates are married and most with kids (soon to be joined by me) we have to get home by about 9.30am so we usually meet at 7, ride for 1-1.5 hours then get in to a few coffees (embarrassingly 3 usually) and then home in time to enjoy the rest of the day and most importantly beat the heat

It wasn't always like that though, when we used to race still sat and Sunday were 100km plus days and we didn't get home till lunchtime. But that was before other more important things were in my life, namely my wife and my ever stronger fly fishing addiction!

2. Marbles

Marbles Senior member

Ah but I am unencumbered by such concerns - shame upon me but sufficient sleep is the problem at the moment, between lateish nights and recovering from an intestinal infection I'm not at my best. I'll make it out to ride with you soon though

3. ZirconiumZephyr

ZirconiumZephyr Well-Known Member

read a bit about them, they seem to be fairly well regarded.

They do not, however, ship to Australia :(

4. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

I just got my first order through shipito--very easy and inexpensive...

5. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

DR: I was looking into Oliver People's and then subsequently discovered Barton Perreira. Great quality frames created by the staff behind Oliver People's but not owned by Luxotica. Bought a pair of sunnies and a pair of optical frames. Waiting for delivery but was impressed by the build, fit, and style. Good acetate. Check out http://bartonperreira.com/

6. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Oroton has 50% off. and you can pick bag like that for about $350. They are not the best but will do the job just fine. Saddle back leather briefcases are ugly. They will scratch like a mf and I don't think they are appropriate for business setting. Or wait and save some $$ and by a sab. I was on a mission for a briefcase and went all over the place like you are right now. I search for over 12 months and settled for a sab. Happy hunting.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  7. Nicholas D C

Nicholas D C Well-Known Member

Appreciate the advice. Will check out Oroton - all of their stores (to be fair, only three or four) I've visited so far barely had any stock left after the Christmas/New Years rush. Another option would be to pull the trigger on the Fossil bag for now (as I'm enamoured with its looks more than anything else) and just save up for something a little more serious should it become a priority in the future. Man those Berlutis sure do look amazing... probably a few years off being able to afford one of those though!

On another note, managed to snag a purple Rubinacci knit and scarlet red Drakes of London tie in the Exquisite Trimmings sale today. Quite stoked as these will be the first silk knits I'll own. Was initially going to purchase the Kent Wang red/blue knit, but the square version was out of stock - luckily this caused me to wait a few days and I got a great deal in any case!

8. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

You've got some do you? If so, what were your thoughts?

9. DartagnanRed

Thanks iSurg, yeah I tried one a BP pair today, liked them. The thing is it just seems crazy to me to fork out $400+ for sunnies and not even get polarised lenses for it.

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

My tastes would dictate the send pair with a deep green lens I think the colour is called a G14.

I could actually wear those as normal perscription frames.

iSurg

The BP frames are nice the AFR magazine had an article on them last year the ones that I like are these http://bartonperreira.com/m/zoom.php?image=GRAFTON_CHESTNUT_ZYL.jpg

what frames did you choose?

11. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Did they email you when they shipped your package from the US to Australia?

(awaiting something)

12. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Ok, fuck shipitto, this verification process is awful. I don't have two government issued photo IDs with matching addresses (moved recently). At all.

So I either pay the Australian government an obscene amount of money to update my passport (which will take forever, sicne my passport is back in Mildura), or I'm out of pocket a couple of hundred dollars for a package that will get nowhere and forever remain incognito.

Hoping shipitto has a third option.

13. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

DR and GF: I had to go with prescription frames so mine will have polarised lenses in them.
    The frames I have chosen are
    http://bartonperreira.com/m/zoom.php?image=ELWOOD_CHESTNUT_ZYL.jpg for sun
    For the life of me, I can't remember which optical frame I chose, but it was square, all acetate with a tinge of green in the sunlight (looks black indoors). I think it was http://bartonperreira.com/m/zoom.php?image=04_BLAKE_KELP_ERN0354.jpg but was not that green fortunately. I tried the grafton frames and loved them. The only thing was that the wife didn't lol.

If you're in Melb PM me for my optom. She's fair with pricing, cheaper than the place u mentioned...

14. meister

meister Senior member

:facepalm:

DR and GF: I had to go with prescription frames so mine will have polarised lenses in them.
    The frames I have chosen are
    http://bartonperreira.com/m/zoom.php?image=ELWOOD_CHESTNUT_ZYL.jpg for sun
    For the life of me, I can't remember which optical frame I chose, but it was square, all acetate with a tinge of green in the sunlight (looks black indoors). I think it was http://bartonperreira.com/m/zoom.php?image=04_BLAKE_KELP_ERN0354.jpg but was not that green fortunately. I tried the grafton frames and loved them. The only thing was that the wife didn't lol.
    quote]

Very nice especially the green ones. With wives that can be a game changer/deal breaker as they are in your face (so to speak) all the time and no way of avoiding incessant slag and bag comments.

15. DartagnanRed

You disagree?

16. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

The late and great Steve McQueen would

17. DartagnanRed

What looked great on SmQ now is worn in a very different context. I normally see Persols on overweight white dudes who think they're top shit because they're wearing McQueen's glasses. Many consider it naff to wear a big brand across my shirt, or to wear a big sparkly gold branded watch, or to wear shoes with big branded buckles on them, or to own luxury-eurotrash-patterned leather goods or a big Hermes H belt. Why is this different with glasses?

Besides, would SmQ have approved of paying $400 for designer sunnies?

18. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I was too poor to own my own computer back in the day. Here is the mainframe I first used at work - a Facom 230-15 with a massive 32 kilobytes or memory. Punched card and teletype input, removeable disk platters, 800 BPI vacuum tube tape drives, all the mod cons.

[​IMG]

19. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Persols are now available at many shops, particularly since OPSM picked them up. However, Luxxotica brands suffer a decrease in make quality once they are acquired by the company, as evidenced by Oliver Peoples when they were picked up. The acetate quality suffered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.