Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliq

sliq Senior member

pictures of them worn?

2. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Satorialists,

After watching parliamentary debates I've reconsidered my position on black suits - I think it can be done as long as the suit is a modern/slim cut. Plus, I think it conveys a level of seriousness.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

3. pasey25

pasey25 Well-Known Member

4. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Ha! Interesting!

Could be sourced from the same place - I don't know where P Johnson gets their suits made.

Would be very interesting to do a side by side comparison of the two between the process as well as the end product.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

6. jmills

jmills Senior member

Not sure the suit in the photo is black?

Besides, I don't think the hate on black was ever absolute. People rightly suggest that blue, charcoal and grey (and all the pattern variations) generally look dapper and are more forgiving. With black, there is always the risk of a not-quite-right look, especially when the suit is made from cheaper material. You are also in peril of doing the funeral/waiter thing. Brown and black together are, with some exceptions, the fast lane to color clash city, but the other colors have easy freedom to go in any direction.

The advice against black is also usually given in response to 'what do I buy' questions and when budgetary considerations are given primacy. In that context, versatile and conservative options are rightly encouraged. Once you have the essentials, maybe black is an option, especially if you can pair it with something to excite the eyes. Context is another reason for taking this view. In our situation, both geographically and in life (as students or recent graduates), one can frequently observe black suits accompanied by obvious faux pas such as terrible shoes, strange shirt and tie choices, white socks and too large suits.

7. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

8. blahman

blahman Senior member

9. Gerry Nelson

Made on the shores of Lake Quo-mo?

10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

As a Cultural Creative I used to regulary wear a black suit. I would always pair it with a pink shirt or white shirt and paisley tie, that was the way of the world I worked in. At one stage a pony tail was de rigueur more so if you worked in North Sydney.

Also as a theatre manager I would also wear a black suit and while lecturing at Uni in rural NSW I would at school events wear black so would most of the art department for that matter. Culturally speaking I always found wearing black to be more about differentating the arts crowd from the herd as opposed to anything else. Also black was very post punk and would signify a FU attitude if anything.

But times change and sadly after viewing the way the bulk of the APS in Canberra wears black it has put me off it to be honest.

11. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Fascinating. PJohnson says their suits are made in the Netherlands. Is that where Kent Wang suits are made? They do look identical in the linked photos.

12. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

#PJGate

13. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

As blah pointed out a few posts above, there are 2 others with the same photos too, so my guess is that they are a set of stock photos from somewhere that they have all used.

14. Gerry Nelson

At the end of the day, the finished product should speak for itself no matter where it's made.

15. lennier

lennier Senior member

They might use the same makers in the Netherlands (or not, the pictures could come from anywhere), but the process is decidedly inferior. If your custom suit doesn't fit you need to 'get it altered at your expense and record the changes so we can get it perfect next time?' Seriously?

Edit. As blah noted above, photos used by many so most likely just stock. Should have read further down the thread before replying :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.