• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Hey Checky
I've been a pretty loyal customer of MT, but picking fabrics is always a pain. All I can suggest is perhaps choosing from the 'MT Collection' which I think are on special at the moment as well.
I got one or two buttons downs from them a while back (I no longer have them as the fit wasn't ideal), and tbh I wasn't in love with the collars. Having said that I'm no expert on BD collars.
Another option is Luxire. There's a lot of buzz about these guys (www.luxire.com) on the forums and on their affiliate thread. They look to have some great fabrics and the quality is apparently top notch. I haven't bought any shirts yet but I've asked them a bunch of questions and their customer service has been awesome. Plus their fabrics are mostly $60 and free shipping for $100+, which is actually cheaper than MT. I would say have a look at their thread and if you like what you see, give them a burl.

Thanks Tobs - will check them out.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Another option is Luxire. There's a lot of buzz about these guys (www.luxire.com) on the forums and on their affiliate thread. They look to have some great fabrics and the quality is apparently top notch. I haven't bought any shirts yet but I've asked them a bunch of questions and their customer service has been awesome. Plus their fabrics are mostly $60 and free shipping for $100+, which is actually cheaper than MT. I would say have a look at their thread and if you like what you see, give them a burl.

Have placed an order with these guys and I'm expecting it on Monday or Tuesday. I will do a full report then if you like. Not that I know too much about shirting! I will say that so far the customer service has been exemplary. They have not kept to their 5 day promise, though, but I understand they are back ordered by about 3 or 4 days at the moment - an issue that should be resolved soon. Proof will be in the pudding though.

*edit I'll also have some fabric swatches to pass around if anyone is interested.

^will consider a phone pocket next time cheers Naka.

Then again maybe a 20% slimmer iPhone 5 will solve all the world's problems :satisfied:

Last edited:

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score

Then again maybe a 20% slimmer iPhone 5 will solve all the world's problems :satisfied:

I'm honestly looking forward to the iphone 5 because of that.

On shirting; I've been using tailorstore and have been quite happy with the results. I'm still tweaking things (collar sizes/softness and trying to nail down a cuff width and sleeve length. I've got a couple more shirts arriving in a few weeks with 2 different collar styles so then I'll have 3 different button down options to compare.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket was fine when I took delivery of it but a mid-year trip to Japan added a few kilos and a few cm to my midriff. I really need to cut back on those mid-morning iced coffees...
Anyway, venturing back into the lion's den, here's a photo from yesterday afternoon. I'm wearing a pair of MTO trousers, in what I suppose would be a small-scale, gun club check, with a pair of u-throat Loakes on the Capital last.
Trip mid-year to Japan is still okay. Try a trip in winter to Japan. I guarantee a few kilos added, easily.

Nice outfit.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trip mid-year to Japan is still okay.  Try a trip in winter to Japan.  I guarantee a few kilos added, easily.

Nice outfit. 

We usually do go in winter and, yes, it's only too easy to put on weight with good, home-cooked Japanese food. This was the first summer trip in seven years and the weather was glorious. The shopping at Uniqlo was also very good - I picked up several rather preppy polo shirts with button-down collars that I'm looking to wearing during the Australian summer.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Epic:

Those epic type ones have the holes in them to enable placement of little rubber grommet thingos of various sizes to stretch shoes at precise points. I'm not sure if the epics are designed for that - I haven't looked at site - but others similar come with the grommet things.

I've often thought having a pair would be a handy thing for stretching shoes for bumpy feet and toes.

Maybe one set in each city for sharing around. Perhaps blahman can organise it and he could deliver them between people on a push bike with a basket on the handle bars.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We usually do go in winter and, yes, it's only too easy to put on weight with good, home-cooked Japanese food. This was the first summer trip in seven years and the weather was glorious. The shopping at Uniqlo was also very good - I picked up several rather preppy polo shirts with button-down collars that I'm looking to wearing during the Australian summer.

Looks like we are off there in April or May. Luckily got a friend in Tokyo who does english well and his father has a big house we can stay in Uonuma.

Did you manage to check out Tailor Caid and any VANS shops?

Whats the weather like in those months? Any public holidays to avoid etc?

Last edited:

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Journeyman
Good to see you outside court.
They have net access in remand?
You out on bail, suspended sentence or mistrial?

no billed by the looks of it.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks like we are off there in April or May. Luckily got a friend in Tokyo who does english well and his father has a big house we can stay in Uonuma.
Did you manage to check out Tailor Caid and any VANS shops?
Whats the weather like in those months? Any public holidays to avoid etc?

The weather is usually fantastic - beautiful warm, clear, spring weather. I was in Tokyo in April some years back and it was beautiful - a pair of chino pants and a polo shirt and you'll generally be fine.

You'll probably be a couple of weeks too late to see the cherry blossoms, but depending on how cool early spring is, you might be in luck.

The end of April and the first week of May is "Golden Week" - a set of about five public holidays in seven days. Many Japanese people take the opportunity to head out on holidays or to go back to visit family in the countryside. As a result, the bullet trains can be very crowded and accommodation is at a premium during that time (if you are staying somewhere other than your friend's place). I suspect that it would be very difficult to find accommodation in Kyoto, Nara or various popular holidays places at that time, for example.

If you are interested, I can send you a PM with my thoughts on things to do in Tokyo, Kyoto and so on. I'm sure that your friend will have plenty of suggestions, but it would nonetheless serve as food for thought.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you are interested, I can send you a PM with my thoughts on things to do in Tokyo, Kyoto and so on. I'm sure that your friend will have plenty of suggestions, but it would nonetheless serve as food for thought.

Heading over to Japan in Jan for some snowboarding then R&R in TYO so I would appreciate any suggestions as well - put it in the main thread please :D

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All that MT talk reminds me that I actually need new shirts now as ever since hitting the gym as well as going on runs, my body shape has changed. My chest has grown (not because I'm lactating) and especially my shoulders where I've gone from looking for 16.5" shirts to 17" to now 17.5" measurements. Also giving me excuse to shop for a new suit. Not good.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have placed an order with these guys and I'm expecting it on Monday or Tuesday. I will do a full report then if you like. Not that I know too much about shirting! I will say that so far the customer service has been exemplary. They have not kept to their 5 day promise, though, but I understand they are back ordered by about 3 or 4 days at the moment - an issue that should be resolved soon. Proof will be in the pudding though.
*edit I'll also have some fabric swatches to pass around if anyone is interested.
^will consider a phone pocket next time cheers Naka.

A report on your Luxire experience would be great, thanks Lachy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads