• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naka

Reaction score
If someone doesn't ask for fit etc advice don't give it.

If they do - be constructive.

That's rubbish. Wether someone asks for advice or not I am going to give it.
This forum is for opining of the buying, wearing, tailoring and styling of clothing.

It is up to the person receiving the advice if they wish to act upon it.

We have enough self-important pricks on this forum, we don't need you.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As the person who made the ill fitting clothing for JOURNEYMAN I thought I might type out a few of my thoughts.
JM is someone I am reasonably acquainted with, having known him for about five years.
During this time I have known him his weight has tended to fluctuate quite dramatically.
When I first measured him for these suits a big part of the process was discussing fit. He tried a few coats on and tried on one of my jackets. We are roughly the same size in off the rack clothing although JM is slightly larger. Since first receiving these suits it has unfortunately become evident at least when this photo was taken that he has put on a fair amount of weight in his midriff and chest. JM is aware of this. Hence his remarks about looking list a "stuffed sausage"
I have asked him countless times if he would like to adjust his clothing or measurements to accommodate our growing concerns and at this point that he would frankly tell me that he would prefer to lose the weight and not try expand the tape measure as his waist line got larger. Being large myself, I agreed with him as I think everyone would agree that we would both look better and be healthier and happier for it.
JM is a perfectionist in most things and this same trait comes across in passion for clothing. If something he didn't agree with he would like me know.
Surprisingly JM has been extremely happy with his clothing, and by his accounts a very satisfied customer. Having worked in retail for at least fourteen years this is what I try to achieve. If the customer is happy, I am happy.
One thing I have noticed is that fit isn't the be all end all of this clothing game, its more to do with enabling a customer to become a confident and positive person which really make people more attractive than if a button pulls on their coat.
I give JM credit or anyone on the forum for having the courage to post photos here for strangers to pass comment/judgement on. I would encourage the critics to post pictures of themselves for this forum to enjoy

Well put Neyus. Good to explain the process between you too, it's always a hassle getting stiff constantly altered to fit a fluctuating weight, which I get a bit as well. I tend to find that by the time I get around to letting things out a bit, I do it and suddenly drop a few kilo's. It's a never ending battle that's for sure.

xiaoli

Reaction score
I wish I could gain some weight I am a bit stick like :evolve:

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who joined the forum just a few days ago and spent a little time reading around the site, it is very nice to see how much nicer it is in this thread.

Last edited:

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ What he said.
Sometimes I think the pendulum has swung too far on the Oz members forum and we're actually too nice...

Never! That is the strength of this forum as the majority messages posted in the last day have shown.

As someone who joined the forum just a few days ago and spent a little time reading around the site, it is very nice to see how much nicer it is in this thread. 

Welcome.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

Thanks for all the comments about my suit.

I must say that whilst I never seek to avoid criticism, I do prefer that it be considered, constructive and tactful and so I appreciate the more thoughtful posts from people such as blah, fxh, CW, Romp, CalDreamer and others. I do agree (as I mentioned above) that the jacket is a bit too tight and that it would look better if I lost weight.

Concerning the comment that perhaps we are "too nice" here, I disagree. I think that it's entirely possible to put forward a point of view that is critical whilst also being polite and pleasant. It's not necessary to be blunt, rude, sarcastic, insulting or forceful in order to make a point.

Thanks also to Neyus for chiming in. He does a fantastic job, his suits and jackets are excellent and are very well priced, and I'm a very happy customer of his. None of the responsibility for the jacket being too tight accrues to him - it's all my fault for putting on weight! The jacket was fine when I took delivery of it but a mid-year trip to Japan added a few kilos and a few cm to my midriff. I really need to cut back on those mid-morning iced coffees...

Anyway, venturing back into the lion's den, here's a photo from yesterday afternoon. I'm wearing a pair of MTO trousers, in what I suppose would be a small-scale, gun club check, with a pair of u-throat Loakes on the Capital last.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gents,
Anyway, venturing back into the lion's den, here's a photo from yesterday afternoon. I'm wearing a pair of MTO trousers, in what I suppose would be a small-scale, gun club check, with a pair of u-throat Loakes on the Capital last.

I like your taste.

Fit is a fickle master. I have certainly been guilty of wearing clothes that are a bit tight after a solid winter of gym & too many hot meals. And then again I also get my jackets suppressed in the waist to the point where they are slim, but not skinny in any way. However after putting in keys, wallet, phone, proxy card and maybe some headphones suddenly that lovely waist suppression pulls on the button a little! Not sure what all you gents do about this issue. I find the look of overstuffed pants pockets even more unattractive though.

Last edited:

CHECKstar

Reaction score
On to another topic - thinking of giving Modern Tailor another go after moderately alright results about a year ago. This time round, I am planning on using a recent MTM shirt that was made for me in person, so the end result should hopefully be a much better fit. I am just after a couple of basic OCDB shirts in white and blue (I would go OTR, but my arms are way to long for my frame):

• Can anybody recommend a decent white and blue oxford cloth from the site? For some strange reason their expensive oxford fabrics is a poly/cotton mix?
  • Does anybody have experience with their button down collars? If so, care to comment on the roll, etc. I was thinking of going for the high button down collar in a soft finish (I do have a long neck).

neyus

Reaction score

I get all my tailoring done in the winter: D
Neyus why is your operation named Deer Style? Always thought it was a bit strange!

I named DeeR. Which is an acronym of the founders. It has always been Deer but when I was looking for a domain name on the internet deer.com.au or deer.com was taken so it became DeeR style just to enable us to use the domain name.

Naka

Reaction score
I get all my tailoring done in the winter: D
Neyus why is your operation named Deer Style? Always thought it was a bit strange!

I named DeeR. Which is an acronym of the founders. It has always been Deer but when I was looking for a domain name on the internet deer.com.au or deer.com was taken so it became DeeR style just to enable us to use the domain name.

I just ordered some Linen from Acorn that I'll get you to make up into a casual shirt for me when it arrives, Neyus.I'll have to show you some shorts I kopped from Pistols at Dawn as well.

I like your taste.

Fit is a fickle master. I have certainly been guilty of wearing clothes that are a bit tight after a solid winter of gym & too many hot meals. And then again I also get my jackets suppressed in the waist to the point where they are slim, but not skinny in any way. However after putting in keys, wallet, phone, proxy card and maybe some headphones suddenly that lovely waist suppression pulls on the button a little! Not sure what all you gents do about this issue. I find the look of overstuffed pants pockets even more unattractive though.

Last pair of trousers I had Deer make up, I left my phone in my pocket for the measurement taking. It worked quite well, but the little phone pocket sewn inside the pocket itself helps keep the phone a little more flush against your body, and less likely to impact fit. Perhaps something similar could be done when you're taking jackets in at the tailor?

Has anyone else been on a mad spending crazy to be ready for Summer? I almost have everything I need, all that's left is some cordo penny loafers.

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On to another topic - thinking of giving Modern Tailor another go after moderately alright results about a year ago. This time round, I am planning on using a recent MTM shirt that was made for me in person, so the end result should hopefully be a much better fit. I am just after a couple of basic OCDB shirts in white and blue (I would go OTR, but my arms are way to long for my frame):
  • Can anybody recommend a decent white and blue oxford cloth from the site? For some strange reason their expensive oxford fabrics is a poly/cotton mix?
  • Does anybody have experience with their button down collars? If so, care to comment on the roll, etc. I was thinking of going for the high button down collar in a soft finish (I do have a long neck).

Hey Checky

I've been a pretty loyal customer of MT, but picking fabrics is always a pain. All I can suggest is perhaps choosing from the 'MT Collection' which I think are on special at the moment as well.

I got one or two buttons downs from them a while back (I no longer have them as the fit wasn't ideal), and tbh I wasn't in love with the collars. Having said that I'm no expert on BD collars.

Another option is Luxire. There's a lot of buzz about these guys (www.luxire.com) on the forums and on their affiliate thread. They look to have some great fabrics and the quality is apparently top notch. I haven't bought any shirts yet but I've asked them a bunch of questions and their customer service has been awesome. Plus their fabrics are mostly $60 and free shipping for $100+, which is actually cheaper than MT. I would say have a look at their thread and if you like what you see, give them a burl.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gents,
I must say that whilst I never seek to avoid criticism, I do prefer that it be considered, constructive and tactful and so I appreciate the more thoughtful posts from people such as blah, fxh, CW, Romp, CalDreamer and others. I do agree (as I mentioned above) that the jacket is a bit too tight and that it would look better if I lost weight.
Concerning the comment that perhaps we are "too nice" here, I disagree. I think that it's entirely possible to put forward a point of view that is critical whilst also being polite and pleasant. It's not necessary to be blunt, rude, sarcastic, insulting or forceful in order to make a point.
Thanks also to Neyus for chiming in. He does a fantastic job, his suits and jackets are excellent and are very well priced, and I'm a very happy customer of his. None of the responsibility for the jacket being too tight accrues to him - it's all my fault for putting on weight! The jacket was fine when I took delivery of it but a mid-year trip to Japan added a few kilos and a few cm to my midriff. I really need to cut back on those mid-morning iced coffees...

Well put.

As Barry Eisler, an author whose blog I follow, states time and again: "If you instead choose sarcasm and other insults, you can't be trying to persuade (have you ever seen someone's opinion changed by an insult?)."

Nuff said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads