1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I collect shoes to use as throwing ammo - ever been hit by a gunboat?

2. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

I wore a paisley silk PS in the Ipswich Magistrates Court today, FWIW.

3. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

To preempt the inevitable joke: no, I was not the defendant.

4. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'd be careful about calling other men gods on internet forums, some of them have big enough ego's already....

Read through some of the awfully petty arguments he has with randoms on here through various posts and your god status will change pretty quickly. Like I said before, don't get too caught up on the rules. If it looks good, then that's what matters.

5. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

I've found that when you wear clothes that fit well with confidence, eschewing the fashion-forward clown colors and accessories, the net effect on those around you is a positive one.

And ironically, given that most try to dress down to the point it just looks sloppy, people automatically assume you're someone to be respected and treat you as the alpha.

Women think you're the big bad wolf and flirt outrageously with you as well. :nodding:

6. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

I'm sick and tired of the whole forum elder / god BS.

What is it with yanks and mindless hero worshipping?

7. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

It is completely beyond me what motivates someone to requote a whole WAYWRN post, simply to add something like "wow looks great as always spoo". Then again, most of that thread is beyond me.

I've recently seen such worshipping begin concerning certain posters with 34,000 posts, which scares me.

My theory is the average SF member is a godless materialist, with a need to fill that empty space through constant prayer through posting and worship of the mystical SF deities.

8. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

For those who haven't read it Manton's book is the most concise for hard and fast sartorial rules. I don't agree with everything he says but its a fantastic guide to appropriate dress and conservative ideology.

9. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Fixed for you.

Following on from my own, slightly too long, post last week.

The Xavier jacket and trousers in blue from MJ Bale which I ordered from The Men's Shop arrived yesterday (I know on a Sunday). The fit etc is a good as the khaki one. However, the blue looks a lot more casual than I thought would (too light), I am not sure if it is really useful for my needs and I think the colour might wash me out a little. Think I might take advantage of The Men's Shop 30 day returns policy. It would be better to put the money towards something more useful, maybe even wait and save for another P Johnson and get exactly what I want. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gain.

In terms of the spray on wax for my Belstaff Trialmaster, it seems to have worked fairly well. The main issue was there just was not enough wax to get the whole jacket substantially covered. I think next time I would just put the time and effort in to use wax in a tin (good post on that here, esp. with the whisky - http://vestislegis.tumblr.com/post/27536251409/a-weekend-wax-job).

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  10. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Post any combination that Manton hasn't "approved" and be prepared to be treated like you've just raped the pope during mass. Knows his stuff but is an epic douche.

11. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

In all honesty, I'm one who is slightly susceptible to silent SF hero worship and tumblr-stalking.

I don't have $$ for amazing visits to London/Naples (like this guy, one of my favourite past SF threads http://www.styleforum.net/t/170554/noob-here-wait-till-london-or-no)
    or to afford the insane number and quality of items that my favourite SF members have (Spoo, Foo, Manton, maomao).

The flipside is that thrifting is not a viable option, given my lack of time/dedication and perceived slim pickings in Melb. Perhaps, it's easier for those involved in the #menswear vendor community to develop their wardrobes meaningfully, and maybe CW and Romp can comment on this. At the end of the day, you spend within your means and time. I'm particularly impressed with Romp, given that he has a young family and work commitments outside of menswear. CW as well. Amazing.

That's not to say I haven't tried things - I just have to be highly selective, and hence SF has basically changed my purchase/menswear trajectory.

At the end of the day, the basis of SF hero worship is that we're able to live vicariously through senior members. That and working towards your grails is more than half the fun.

12. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

[​IMG]

13. thebrownman

Many of those guys you've mentioned bore me. They may "know their shit" to put it in my own, and others, vernacular, but they also seem to take much of the fun out of clothes and dressing in the process of relaying their knowledge.

14. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Quote:
    That gif is too funny.

15. thebrownman

P.S. iSurg, I don't think Melbourne op shops are slim pickings. I know CD has picked up many cool items in op shops, a friend of mine, Remy, also picks up lots of cool stuff. I think fxh also picks up cool stuff. The added benefit of thrift shopping at the moment is that there's a song about it, 'Got twenty dollars in my pocket, I'm gonna pop some tags...' :foo: < I don't know what that emoticon is, but it seemed to fit the mood.

16. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

I guess their douche-baggery does take out a lot of the fun (mainly manton). Foo is just really particular about details, but PG was like that too before he found love and cycling. I guess I try to look past that and draw out the aesthetic that appeals to me. Granted, a lot of the appeal is actually good photography.

I also argue that, at that SF level, it's the jerks that post the most. The better ones realise that SF is a waste of their time and move on.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

17. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Maybe. Depends on price, it's also something I think looks cool, but would really want to try on to see if I didn't just end up looking like a tosser.

18. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Quote:

True. I then defer to having minimal free time (but enough free time to post, lol), and being a 36 short.
    Add in the obvious lack of awareness for good thrifting spots.

In your opinion, do you think thrifting in Melb can reach Broke and Bespoke heights? My impression was "no", but I'm happy to be corrected in my thinking.

19. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

What

Paging Sator...

20. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Read the book a few years ago and was a bit unimpressed by the whole Art of War approach to dressing if you wander over to AAAC you'll see a totaly different take expressed in relation to his POV. But then i think CBD is Classical Business Dress, fuck conservatives.

Any Sydneyites going to the Zegna event, I will be there on Wednesday and hope that the bones have not been picked clean by then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.