Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anon1980

Anon1980 New Member

Hi Does anyone know about Henk Berg Bags? I was thinking of getting the Miel leather satchel and I was wondering what people's thoughts are on these. Alternatively if someone can recommend a leather messenger bag for less than $500 that would be great. I would use it to carry stuff to work in an office environment.

2. fxh

fxh Senior member

3. jmills

jmills Senior member

Well that ruins things... maybe I should be chasing corporate lawyering instead of government, so I can pay the extra taxes :(

The sad thing is, I get stuff off the internet because I just can't get it locally, not because its cheaper.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

4. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Hey guys

Has anyone used dye on suede shoes before? I have foolishly managed to get dark stains on my suede chukkas, and after using the scrub method and the vinegar method and the gum eraser method to no avail, I think my only option is to dye them a darker brown.

I presume this will be messy.

Anyone know a good brand of suede dye?

5. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

dont do it!

I had a pair of pale powder blue tods and i dropped a sausage on them while manning the BBQ (yeah dumb I know)

Could get the grease out so the shoe guy reckoned he could fix them with dye....

they look fine now - just not the same colour.. its more of a murky darker blue... suffice to say they've had no wear since

6. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

The sausage--that's awful and kind of hilarious!

I dunno, at this point I feel like I'm out of options. Plus, they're already a darkish brown, so going even darker is probably not so much of a biggie...

7. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Just wanted to report back on a pretty good* experience shipping from the UK with Borderlynx.

1x package of clothes, 2.5 pounds - 29.5GBP 26.55 with mastercard discount all inclusive, DHL express courier to Melbourne (express and non express were the same price for my package - I imagine express might be more expensive for heavier parcels). Only two shipping options were available.

They do have some consolidation options available, not that I used them.

Once you have paid the package is dispatched very quickly (your "Borderlynx address" is actually a DHL warehouse). Left UK on the 4th and arrived here this morning.

So all in all, not bad for one time purchases for things you can't ship outside the UK.

*nb the only negative was that I got into a large argument with their sales rep on their online chat at 11pm at night about whether she should credit me back the 10% mastercard discount retrospectively (they have a crazy and non obvious way that you are apparently supposed to claim this discount)... 45 minutes later I was 2.95GBP better off... totally worth it :slayer:

8. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Hey guys; haven't posted for a while but here it is:
    I know you Aussie SF'ers don't wear fine footwear everywhere you go, so I am wondering what you wear for a trip to the local supermarket or to the nearest westfield and in particular what sneakers: feel free to post your most loved and beat up pair. If you would like post the rest of your outfit for these local trips (preferably summer outfits since it's around the corner) :)
    Thanks
    Yours Faithfully
    TehFunnyBunny

9. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

In no particular order you should look at:

(sneakers)
    New Balance
    Supergas
    Jack Purcells
    ProKeds
    Common Projects ($$$)

(slip ons)
    Boat Shoes - sperry sebago etc
    espadrilles

Personally I think beat up white canvas/rubber sneaks are a nice look in summer. I have a pair of these Billy Reid x K swiss:

[​IMG]

*edit: As an aside, I was around at my grandparent's place recently and we discussed how he had worn the same New Balance model shoe as his casual pair of sneakers for, he thinks, at least 30 years, replacing them about once every two years. I believe it is the 574 model.

He complained that when he first bought them, they were about $4 a pair, but that his last pair were well over $70. I tried to explain to him that they were a sought after hipster fashion item now and that some models were well into the $200 range, but he didn't believe me...

10. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Saw a 16 year old with common projects yesterday and thought DAYUMMM SON! He is either spoilt crazily or very good at making money!
    What pair of newbalances look particulary good with jeans; I know a lot of people love the 574's but looking at other stuff to.
    P.S.
    Anyone bought from Beggermanthief in Melbourne; I hear they stock Church's now (too much money for me though T_T).

Thanks

11. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I have a pair of these Dekline Santa Fe shoes in midnight/tan:
    [​IMG]

At work now so I don't have a pic of my shoes. I wear them with chinos/jeans/chino shorts, hidden socks and a t-shirt/polo shirt if I'm going down to the supermarket in summer.

12. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Hey mate,

Scott and Marc at BMT are nice guys. Simon, in particular, is very helpful and very friendly.

The 574s are pretty popular. I like them a lot, but some people wear it (a lot) better than others. I've seen examples in black suede with denim that make the wearer look like a person who stands near parks handing out lollies to small children. Others wear them and they look fucking cool.

I like all of LachyZees suggestions. The only addition I'd make is Tretorn to the sneakers pile - either the nylite or T-56. There's also Nikes and Adidas. If you look at sites like TresBienShop, you'll get a nice idea of higher end 'street wear'.

Peace.

13. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Oh and I agree with gerry - never, ever go full sockless. It's disgusting. Get some loafer socks.

14. Smudge

Smudge Senior member

FWIW I used dye on my brand new Loake Kemptons. Mind you, I thought I was waterproofing them but picked up the wrong can (don't ask :face palm: )
    Fortunately they are chocolate brown so my spray job (black) gives one of them a short of burnished look. Which is nice.

15. YOLO EMSHI

YOLO EMSHI Senior member

Probably incu warehouse sales. They go for 50-80% off or something

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.